Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LCSN: NM Gov. Martinez: Grandfather came to US 'without documents'

The 12th Commandment

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_18852299

ALBUQUERQUE - New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez, who has drawn national attention and criticism from immigrant advocacy groups for trying to stop illegal immigrants from getting driver's licenses, has acknowledged her paternal grandparents came to the U.S. illegally. "I know they arrived without documents, especially my father's father," the Republican said Wednesday in an interview in Spanish with KLUZ-TV, the Albuquerque Univision affiliate.

-Continued at link

The irony is her top fight so far has been to undo our law that gives illegals drivers licenses. All 10,000 of them are supposed to go in for a personal interview at DMV or lose their license. A lot have actually been going and DMV has been a mess.

I don't see the relevance to the DL issue.

Do we do sins of the fathers now?

No, no that's not where I was going at all. I would think, however, she would be more sympathetic to the cause of illegal immigrants because her family would be eating beans and rice if her grandfather hadn't done that dastardly evil deed of crossing the border. Which turned out ok for the USA and our state, as I'm sure she'd agree.

Guilt tripping is not a viable argument imo

Can't the DL issue stand on it's own merits?

Of course, that's why it's such an issue of contention. It wouldn't stand on it's own merits if you didn't agree with them, or think they were true. That's her case. The merits are the ability to buy insurance, the ability to identify them and know where they live should they turn up on another list. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I could pull up some talking points if you want, don't figure you do and I'm sure you've probably looked into and formed your opinion already anyway. No?

I don't see it as guilt tripping for her to treat people fairly because she's personally seen the benefit of illegal immigration for both herself and her grandpa's illegally adopted country and state. Of course if you didn't think it was fair to give them the license in the first place then you wouldn't agree.

I agree, one has nothing at all to do with the other. What is not mentioned here is that Martinez's Grandfather abandoned his family when her father was only 5 years old. It is not surprising to me that she is not proud of talking about this man or even respecting him. As I understand it, she and here family have distanced themselves from him. I think it's a credit to here father that he was able to survive and raise a family. To be clear, Martinez has no evidence one way or the other about her Grandfather. The report that he was illegal is from a 1930 census report. Since she does not know him, she has said publicly that she can neither confirm nor deny his status as illegal.

New Mexico is only one of three states that allow Drivers Licenses with a turn your head and cough type procedure to acquire a License. If it were good policy, more states would have adopted it. It's bad policy and it needs to be changed.

They're here and driving. That's beyond argument. Why not have them be legal drivers? There's no downside, it doesn't suddenly make them citizens and they're liable as anyone else in the country to be deported should the draw attention to themselves? The bit about her grandpa and running off was in that article. Don't see that as being particularly relevant. Fact is she wouldn't be here in all likelihood if he hadn't come here illegally. Might have abandoned his family but he did them right having them over here.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 07:29 PM ----------

Does this mean she can't be President, according to the Birthers? :)

I was thinking how they would refer to her? The baby of an anchor baby? Is that a problem for them? No se.

They're here and driving. That's beyond argument. Why not have them be legal drivers? There's no downside, it doesn't suddenly make them citizens and they're liable as anyone else in the country to be deported should the draw attention to themselves?

Yeah, I can certainly see the thought that they're gonna drive, anyway, and we'd really rather they had licenses (and insurance) and can be identified and so forth.

My biggest problem with them getting DLs is, how does the DMV issue a license to somebody who can't produce Legal ID?

Yeah, I can certainly see the thought that they're gonna drive, anyway, and we'd really rather they had licenses (and insurance) and can be identified and so forth.

My biggest problem with them getting DLs is, how does the DMV issue a license to somebody who can't produce Legal ID?

http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/SiteCollectionDocuments/assets/Acceptable%20Documents%20Chart%2025May11.pdf

Looks like a birth certificate from Mexico will do.

Archived