Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Team single-season records. Who do we have that might add to them?

tibbidoe

Since 1932, we have had a long list of stars. From Cliff Battles to Sean Taylor, we've been lucky to have some very good and very productive players on our team.

But, with 78 years of history and historical moments, we don't have a HUGE legacy of statistical dominance. The following is a run-down of some of our team records for single-season performances:

(# of times) stat type

[highest total for a season] (# if highest total is shared)

Passing:

(18) 3,000 yard passers

[high: 4,109 - Schroeder - 1986]

(20) 20+ touchdown passes

[high: 31 - Jurgensen - 1967]

Rushing:

(22) 1,000 yard rushers

[high: 1,516 - Portis - 2005]

(11) 10+ touchdowns scored

[high: 24 - Riggins - 1983]

Receiving:

(26) 1,000 yard receivers

[high: 1,483 - Moss - 2005]

(31) 70+ catches

[high: 106 - Monk - 1984]

(7) 10+ touchdowns scored

[high: 12] (4 times)

Scoring:

(22) 100+ point scorers

[high: 161 - Moseley - 1983]

Kick Returns:

(16) 1,000+ yard returners

[high: 1,541 - Cartwright - 2006]

(21) 1+ touchdowns scored

[high: 2 - Saenz - 1947]

Punt Returns:

(2) 600+ yard returners

[high: 646 - Brown - 1976]

(26) 1+ touchdowns scored

[high: 2] (5 times)

Sacks:

(19) 10+ sacks

[high: 18 - Manley - 1986]

Interceptions:

(6) 7+ interceptions

[high: 13 - Sandifer - 1948]

(2) 2+ interception return touchdowns scored

[high: 2] (2 times)

Obviously, the early years of the team and league were not the same for high single-season totals as they are now.

My question is, what current players do we have currently who might add to these totals?

(These numbers came from http://www.pro-football-reference.com and http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com, so if I'm off on the totals, blame them).

4100 yards passing is really not that much. McNabb and Grossman last year combined for over 4200, so I could see Grossman passing that mark this year if he starts all 16 games.

Last year we were pretty one-dimensional, our run game was terrible. This year we should have better balance, so unless we've become an offensive powerhouse (you never know... ;) ) Rex won't be throwing for 4,000 yards.

Banks might get both of the punt return measures, if he stays healthy. Hightower might get 1,000 yards if his body can take 16 games.

Last year we were pretty one-dimensional, our run game was terrible. This year we should have better balance, so unless we've become an offensive powerhouse (you never know... ;) ) Rex won't be throwing for 4,000 yards.

Banks might get both of the punt return measures, if he stays healthy. Hightower might get 1,000 yards if his body can take 16 games.

I don't see Banks getting enough return opportunities to really pile up the return yards, but I could see Hightower hitting 1,000 yards rushing. He's increased his total each year he's played and running back is the easiest position to make an immediate impact as a new player. Moss has a chance for another 1,000, but I don't see another WR doing it. Could be wrong though.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 06:10 PM ----------

who had the 13 intereption in a year? that's a tough one to break.

found him: Dan Sanidfer. litte before most of our times.

Sorry. I'll add the record holders.

I don't see Banks getting enough return opportunities to really pile up the return yards, but I could see Hightower hitting 1,000 yards rushing. He's increased his total each year he's played and running back is the easiest position to make an immediate impact as a new player. Moss has a chance for another 1,000, but I don't see another WR doing it. Could be wrong though.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 06:10 PM ----------

Sorry. I'll add the record holders.

wasn't trying to say you had to add them. It's just an impressive total and i was curious. I didn't remeber any of the obvious answers ever having a total like that.

wasn't trying to say you had to add them. It's just an impressive total and i was curious. I didn't remeber any of the obvious answers ever having a total like that.
Okay, I'LL say to add them :pfft:

I wouldn't be surprise to see Orakpo get the sack record before too long.

No worries. Should have had them to start with. lol

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 06:34 PM ----------

Okay, I'LL say to add them :pfft:

I wouldn't be surprise to see Orakpo get the sack record before too long.

Done.

Whoo hoo!

Well, if we don't see many of the records being broken, who do we have that might just have big statistical seasons? (1,000 rush/rec, 7+ int, etc...)

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 06:44 PM ----------

If Gano performs as well as he has in preseason and if the offense increases its TD total, Gano might close in on Mosely's record. Last year Gano had 133 pts. 10 more FGs and he breaks the record.

He had 100 pts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GanoGr44.htm

I could see Grossman reaching 3,000 yards this year and 20+ TDs, not quite 30 though.

I could definitely see Hightower breaking Portis' mark in one of the next 2-3 years.

Moss is the only threat to his own receiving records, and I don't see him breaking them.

Banks could DEFINITELY break ALL the return records we have, if the guy stays healthy. It won't even be close, he would smash them all by a mile.

I could see Orakpo breaking the 10+ sack barrier this season, and for the foreseeable future. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Kerrigan get double digit sacks annually, but probably not this season.

Whoops, I misread the stat sheet on NFL.com, and thought he made 35 out of 49 attempts....actually, the 49 was how long his longest FG conversion was lol :doh:

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 04:42 PM ----------

If we hang onto Cooley, he could end up among the top 5 TEs of all-time in terms of receptions (Tony Gonzales, Shannon Sharpe, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, and Cooley).

data_points_110803_blog.jpg

I agree that based on preseason performance, Hightower looks like he could run for over 1500 yards. But what we don't know is if he is capable of carrying the load to get that many yards and also Shanahan may split carries anyway so getting the 270-340 or so carries to get that many yards may not be realistic.

Jay's single season record will fall at some point soon. Brad Johnson would have broken it in 99 if Norv didn't pull him in the finale to rest for the playoffs and McNabb was on pace to break it last year. The key will be a modern NFL level passing game, which we now have, and a 16 game start and play QB. Not sure Rex will get the full 16.

I think Monk's 106 will fall soon too. Today getting 100 catches isn't unusual.

The kickoff return record is meaningless and I said so back when people were propping up Rock Cartright as a good return guy. Nothing but compiled yards due to the rule change in 94 that pushed the kickoff back. More returns thanks to kicking off at the 30 plus bad defense that allows scores equals empty records.

The record I'm curious to see if it will be broken is Dexter's 18. Can Rak or Kerrigan get to that level? I hope so.

Grossman has a good shot at the single-season passing yards. McNabb was on pace to break that record last season.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 05:55 AM ----------

Not single-season records, but Chris Cooley needs 850 yards to pass Jerry smith as the all-time yardage leader at tight end. Cooley only needs 2 catches to pass Smith as the all-time receptions leader at tight end. There is a good chance Cooley breaks those records this season.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 05:59 AM ----------

Banks had 431 punt return yards last season in 13 games (10th on the all-time list). If he could play a little better, and manage to play 16 games, he has a shot at Eddie Brown's 646 yard record. (Of course, Eddie Brown did it in 14 games).

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 06:03 AM ----------

Moss had 93 catches last year. Second only to Monk's 106. Monk remains the only player in team history with a 100 catch season. Does Moss have one in him?

Probably not, but how cool would that be? Kyle obviously used Moss a lot last year, and I do not imagine that will change much this season, even with all the new receivers. I think Grossman looks to have a good rapport with Moss too. Not saying it will happen, but it could happen.

Archived