Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo!: Longshoremen storm Wash. state port, damage RR

sacase

http://news.yahoo.com/longshoremen-storm-wash-state-port-damage-rr-144921214.html

LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) — Hundreds of Longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview early Thursday, overpowered and held security guards, damaged railroad cars, and dumped grain that is the center of a labor dispute, said Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha.

Six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m. and smashed windows in the guard shack, he said.

No one was hurt, and nobody has been arrested. Most of the protesters returned to their union hall after cutting brake lines and spilling grain from car at the EGT terminal, Duscha said.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that's staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

---------------------------

Interesting timing on this one, right after Hoffa said he wanted to "take these sons of ******* out"

I say charge the whole union hall with terrorism and conspiracy charges.

Interesting timing on this one, right after Hoffa said he wanted to "take these sons of ******* out"

Does it matter to you that this never happened except in edited tapes on FoxNews and frantic right wing blogs?

Here is the whole story, in detail (I know you won't like MediaMatters, but I have been unable to find anything to refute this account).

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201109050003

My comment is not intended to defend what these jerks in Washington State did. I agree with throwing the book at them.

:rubeyes: I had to read that article and several others to make sure I was reading right. Stormed the gates? Held hostages? Then after said event,back to the hall to chill and talk about the evenings festivities. I know I've seen a bad movie that had this script. This is somewhat scary though and hopefully this doesn't give others any ideas. No charges,but with that many people involved I would imagine it could take a little time to get things together. Unreal.

It's always good to see a sober rational stance in the tailgate.

What's not rational. The rail network is a critical national asset. Cutting break lines in a train can easily be considered terrorism. Obviously they conspired to do this, not to mention kidnapping charges, trespassing, violation of a restraining order, damage to property, etc. But hey, they are just angry union folks, they deserve the right to do this.

What's not rational. The rail network is a critical national asset. Cutting break lines in a train can easily be considered terrorism. Obviously they conspired to do this, not to mention kidnapping charges, trespassing, violation of a restraining order, damage to property, etc. But hey, they are just angry union folks, they deserve the right to do this.

Waiting for the first post on here to say that, or anything close to that.

Also waiting for your response to the fact that the Jimmy Hoffa story is a lie. Since that lie is being spread around pretty much only on far right message boards and sites like Drudge, I think it tells me a little about where you get your information.

this whole situation irritates me. longshoreman have a route in which to take up their concerns (union officials and court if needed), rioting is not the way to do it. i'd fire every person involved.

id throw the book at those that acted out of line (is the FBI prosecuting the case?). people have no idea what kind of affect events such as this can have on our economy. i was on a ship during the ~05' longshoreman strike in Long Beach, waiting days in the bay as hundreds of ships were at anchor, waiting for officials to end the strike. these events can be very detrimental to intermodal transportation and our economy.

in my experience, longshoreman have little to complain about. they have a great gig going: incredibly powerful unions, great benefits, make great money (typically) while having no college experience, and have little accountability, generally making for sloppy and lazy workers.

Might as well get the other side of the story out.

http://www.longshoreshippingnews.com/2011/09/robert-mcellrath-ilwu-international-president-we-will-not-permit-egt-to-undermine-the-grain-export-industry/

TO: ALL LONGSHORE DIVISION LOCALS

Brothers and Sisters:

ILWU longshoremen work at every grain export facility in the Pacific Northwest – Seattle, Tacoma, Aberdeen, Portland, Vancouver, and Longview. EGT Development (EGT) has built a $200 million facility on the same site as a previous grain facility where longshoremen worked. That site is directly on Port of Longview property. EGT is attempting to break the master grain agreement and become the first grain export terminal in the Pacific Northwest to operate without ILWU. This constitutes an assault on over 80 years of longshore jurisdiction – an assault that could fundamentally change the dynamics of the relationship within the grain industry as a whole. It is critical to the Longshore Division that this does not happen.

Here is some history. Local 21 has been involved in a dispute with EGT for well over a year now. In May 2010, after months of discussions with Local 21, EGT represented to union officials that it would employ Local 21 longshoremen to operate its new facility in Longview. In the following months, EGT sat down with Local 21 and engaged in direct contract negotiations concerning the employment terms for the longshoremen that EGT would be employing. In April 2011, the contract negotiations got stalled over EGT’s demand to have longshoremen work 12 hour shifts without any overtime pay and the company’s refusal to recognize maintenance, repair, and master console jurisdiction. Then, in July 2011, EGT, without any notice to Local 21, transferred the longshore facility work to a subcontractor, General Construction. Operating Engineers Local 701, without the decency of notice to Local 21 signed a contract with General Construction and walked through ILWU picket lines. Since then, Local 21 and the Pacific Northwest locals have been protesting EGT’s action of opening the Longview facility without ILWU. Also, the Oregon AFL-CIO Executive Board has condemned Local 701, as did the Washington State AFL-CIO at its State Convention.

In late July and early August 2011, EGT filed NLRB charges separately against Local 21 and Local 4. On August 29, 2011, the NLRB filed a consolidated complaint against Local 21 and Local 4 for any number of alleged violations surrounding the EGT dispute. On August 31, 2011, the NLRB filed papers in federal court seeking a temporary restraining order (TRO) and an injunction against Local 21 and Local 4. The NLRB’s motion for a TRO will likely be heard in federal court in the next day or so. The TRO and injunction seek broad prohibition on all manner of traditional union protest, including picketing in any form, against EGT until such time as the NLRB issues a decision in the underlying case.

The NLRB complaint and the motion seeking a TRO and injunction were expected by the Coast Committee. The complaint itself has no legal significance unless sustained after a full trial and currently represents nothing more than mere allegations that are based on incorrect facts and bogus legal conclusions. This, unfortunately, is typical of the NLRB ever since the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 transformed its mission to restrict the union and civil rights of union members. The NLRB exists for one reason and that is to protect commerce at the expense of workers, and we are not surprised that EGT is employing the NLRB to put down a legitimate labor dispute.

EGT’s use of the NLRB is the latest tactic in its fight against longshore labor. EGT has also used Operating Engineers Local 701 as a tool to neutralize the momentum of Local 21 by giving the impression that EGT is hiring union labor when in fact Operating Engineers Local 701 was merely hired by EGT’s subcontractor, who was hired by EGT a little over a month ago in July, and can be replaced at any time. EGT has contracted with an out of state public relations firm to wage an aggressive and misleading public relations campaign against Local 21. EGT has employed a professional strikebreaker and labor provocateur from the East Coast to manufacture trouble during otherwise peaceful protest. These are just some of EGT’s tactics, which are ultimately designed to undermine the master grain agreement, which has been in place since 1934.

In addition to this, ILWU union officials and members are being overzealously and disproportionately prosecuted while Cowlitz County authorities turn a blind eye to the conduct of others. Most recently, the Presidents of Local 8 and Local 4 were arrested and charged with obstruction of a law enforcement officer because they did not move quickly enough when asked to by police officers. The Cowlitz County District Attorney offered them a plea deal – plead guilty to the charge, get a 365 day suspended sentence, and stay off the picket line or go to jail for a mandatory 365 days. By comparison, an individual was caught on video purposefully driving through peaceful picketers as he drove into EGT’s Longview facility. One picketer was taken to the hospital as a result. Cowlitz County officials, who reviewed the video, declined to prosecute the driver, instead arresting a protester who allegedly dented another vehicle with his knee. He was charged with a felony.

Despite the fact that Local 21’s dispute is clearly with EGT, the NLRB complaint alleges that Local 21’s dispute is really with the subcontractor that EGT hired in July. The documented facts at trial will prove the NLRB wrong. Local 21’s dispute is with no one other than EGT, and this means that federal labor law entitles Local 21 to conduct picketing and other collective actions directed at EGT.

The bottom line is that EGT is failing to comply with its own lease agreement at the Port of Longview, which requires that EGT employ Local 21 longshoremen. EGT is in Longview for one reason, to make as much money as possible for its foreign owners while spending as little as possible in the U.S. Local 21 is invested in its community and is standing up to EGT’s attempt to take advantage of local resources and to undermine 80 years of longshore jurisdiction.

The ILWU Coast Longshore Division will not let recent developments interfere in any way with its right to take all necessary and legal steps on behalf of Local 21 to obtain a fair agreement with EGT. We will not permit EGT to undermine the grain export industry or further deteriorate the working conditions in Longview.

In Solidarity,

Robert McEllrath

International President

RMcE/lk

cwa39521

Frankly I am surprised stuff like this hasn't happened more with the constant attack on workers rights in this country. It has happened throughout our history from coal workers in West Virginia to company towns in the mid-west and I doubt this will be the last incident of labor violence but at times that's the only way to send a message and when you make people desperate by taking their livelihoods and their rights you get reactions.

Frankly I am surprised stuff like this hasn't happened more with the constant attack on workers rights in this country. It has happened throughout our history from coal workers in West Virginia to company towns in the mid-west and I doubt this will be the last incident of labor violence but at times that's the only way to send a message and when you make people desperate by taking their livelihoods and their rights you get reactions.

If I ever posted my true feelings on these kinds of disputes, I would probably scare myself. But Unions have surrendered in far too many battles in the past 30 years. And I'll leave it at that.

Waiting for the first post on here to say that, or anything close to that.

Also waiting for your response to the fact that the Jimmy Hoffa story is a lie. Since that lie is being spread around pretty much only on far right message boards and sites like Drudge, I think it tells me a little about where you get your information.

He did in fact say let's take this ******* out. I never once said that it was in relation to the tea party, in fact, I said it was an interesting correlation between the comment let's take these ******* out and the Union Violence. Yes I get a lot of my news from drudge which links to articles from various "vetted" website. I never watch Fox news, nor do I visit their website, so in reality what you think you know is far less than what you do know. So please save the spin for someone who actually trolls Conservative message boards.

By the way, Destino's post was the first post you were looking for.

He did in fact say let's take this ******* out. I never once said that it was in relation to the tea party, in fact, I said it was an interesting correlation between the comment let's take these ******* out and the Union Violence.

He said: "Everybody here's got to vote. If we go back and keep the eye on the prize, let's take these son of a ****es out and give America back to America where we belong! Thank you very much."

That is not a call for violence unless you lie about it. Like Drudge does.

Yes I get a lot of my news from drudge which links to articles from various "vetted" website. I never watch Fox news, nor do I visit their website, so in reality what you think you know is far less than what you do know. So please save the spin for someone who actually trolls Conservative message boards.

"Vetted websites?" :ols:

Of course you get your news from Drudge. I suppose you believe that there is currently an epidemic of black flash mobs attacking white people across this country too? Because that is what Drudge is telling you also.

You are correct about that, actually. :)

This from the AP via Yahoo. Many just don't let the facts get in their way of their dogma.

LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) — Hundreds of Longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview early Thursday, overpowered and held security guards, damaged railroad cars, and dumped grain that is the center of a labor dispute, said Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha.

Six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m. and smashed windows in the guard shack, he said.

No one was hurt, and nobody has been arrested. Most of the protesters returned to their union hall after cutting brake lines and spilling grain from car at the EGT terminal, Duscha said.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that's staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

Thursday's violence was first reported by Kelso radio station KLOG.

http://news.yahoo.com/longshoremen-storm-wash-state-port-damage-rr-144921214.html

This from the AP via Yahoo. Many just don't let the facts get in their way of their dogma.

Exactly the facts are that the company got a great leasing deal on the port with a special state tax exemption and the government even helped with land acquisition to do this they were contractually obligated to use ILWI union workers. The company broke the contract and attempted to break a strike, so guess what labor responded. It is pretty clear the the company is contractually ****ing over the city, the workers, and the people. The Unions attempted to use non-violent and legal means, yet the company undercut them and continued to break contract and employ strikebreakers. Only after other options were exhausted was there labor violence. Yet people still refuse to look at the actual facts and instead go with headlines that paint it as simple one sided violence without cause.

Here is a good link that presents a fuller picture of the dispute.

http://www.thestand.org/2011/09/heres-why-longshore-workers-are-so-angry/

To sum up: a taxpayer-subsidized international conglomerate, which is operating on public property, is suing the public so it can avoid paying the area’s standard wages and undercut its competitors that do. Then, it exacerbated tensions with the local labor community by importing union workers from another jurisdiction to cross the picket lines.

JP, I think that if you want to argue that mob violence, kidnapping, and rioting are justified, then you're going to have a "tough sell".

Do the workers have a light gripe? Could well be. (I'll let a court decide that, though).

Are the rooters justified, even if they're right? Not IMO.

JP, I think that if you want to argue that mob violence, kidnapping, and rioting are justified, then you're going to have a "tough sell".

Do the workers have a light gripe? Could well be. (I'll let a court decide that, though).

Are the rooters justified, even if they're right? Not IMO.

I think if you look at the history of this nation, most of the rights workers have were gained as direct result of labor violence. Now I am not advocating it in this situation or saying that the ILWI did the correct thing here but they have very legitimate grievances and exhausted other means what exactly should they do?

To discount violence out of hand is to ignore our entire history as a nation which shows that the only way workers were able to wrestle their rights away from corporations was through violence or the threat (implied or otherwise) of strikes and violence.

He did in fact say let's take this ******* out. I never once said that it was in relation to the tea party, in fact, I said it was an interesting correlation between the comment let's take these ******* out and the Union Violence. Yes I get a lot of my news from drudge which links to articles from various "vetted" website. I never watch Fox news, nor do I visit their website, so in reality what you think you know is far less than what you do know. So please save the spin for someone who actually trolls Conservative message boards.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone who wants to know it that the comment was doctored to remove the direct reference to a vote.

More evidence that the media is our enemy, sacase.

They twist things and keep us angry. Don't fall for it.

I don't care if it's conservative media or liberal media, this stuff has to stop. We have to demand it. The level of dishonesty is staggering, and that which is supposed to keep us informed does nothing but manipulate us to one end or another.

The media, our eyes and ears, have sold us out.

Frankly, I am happy we never saw a thread devoted to this bit of misinformation. Things are lookingup.

~Bang

I have to admit, stories like this cause a conflict, in me.

I don't think that many people would ever call me "anti-Union".

But I have a problem when "labor negotiations" involve mobs of people intentionally blockading a business. Now, you aren't negotiating any more. You're interfering in other people's right.

I have this problem whether it's union members blocking deliveries, people blockading abortion clinics, or reporters trying to get a picture of the latest accused criminals. No, you don't have the right to impede other people's rights of travel, just so you can get something you want.

Supposedly, there's a contract, specifying that the union workers be hired.

What's a judge say about that?

Funny....I can't help but imagine that the Brits said the same things when they saw their tea floating in the harbor.

jus sayin'

And NO I am not supporting nor in any way advocating what these union members did, I just can't help but see certain parallels.

I tend to think that there needs to be the hint of the possibility of violence in any kind of social/labor/civil rights movement - particularly if you do not have the attention of a mass media. MLK's approach worked - in part - because he was able to get pictures of his protests in the newspapers every morning and on the evening news every evening. I'm not sure non-violent demonstration would have worked in the coal fields at the turn of the century.

As I've said, I've seen about ten true strikes up close in my lifetime and there is always an element of violence in them. A few baseball bats are going to find headlights. Scabs are going to be intimidated. I just don't find some damage to some railcars all that shocking.

And I will say this, Labor Unions would have to launch a full-scale guerrilla war before the bloodshed was even with management over the past 125 years or so. (Yes, I'm still pissed off about Homestead, why do you ask?)

And before anyone asks, yes, I'm a total hypocrite and I don't think turnabout is fair play. If the management of this company attacked the union hall, I would be screaming from the rooftops. I don't apologize for that.

Funny....I can't help but imagine that the Brits said the same things when they saw their tea floating in the harbor.

jus sayin'

And NO I am not supporting nor in any way advocating what these union members did, I just can't help but see certain parallels.

Well, if tea weighed ten tons and could roll into something, I'd agree. I see the symbolism in dumping the grain, but cutting brakes on a rail car can cause serious damage, as could sinking a ship that held tea.

Hopefully it was made well aware that they cut brake lines and did it to force a delay rather than hope that an accident would occur.

If they did NOT inform someone that is what they did, then I think sacase's use of the word "terrorism" would certainly hold water.

~Bang

You wanted to charge the entire union house with terrorism and conspiracy. I think a sober rational view would be to arrest those responsible and investigating to see who exactly that might be... as opposed to say charging the entire union house with terrorism.

This is not terrorism. A lot of laws were broken but terrorism applied here is absurd.

You are correct about that, actually. :)

Yes clearly my objection to charging the entire union house with terrorism is close to "they are just angry union folks, they deserve the right to do this" :)

Archived