Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy Football: Go with Rex?

brasi

Hello folks,

This question is specific to my fantasy squad but may also get some you FF players out there thinking, too...just a tip from one Skin Fan to the masses...

On a lark last night, I picked up Grossman off of waivers (dropping my last scrub pick, Jason Snelling of ATL) to get him...I didn't have a back up QB anyway.

That got me thinking. And looking into his stats last year vs. the Giants.

326 yards, 2 TDs. 2 INTs. This season, he seems stronger...and the Giants D is weakened. Home game.

My main starter at QB, drafted in round 5, is Matt Ryan. But he is up (AWAY) against Da Bears this week.

Am I CRAZY to think of using Grossman to start this week based on the stats? In no way am I suggesting he will supplant Ryan for the season...just sayin'...I think Rex could blow the Giants up this week, Fantasy wise.

Thoughts?

If you think about it, Grossman could very well be the better option this week. And if you can, maybe some others can get him cheap off waivers.

HAIL.

Yeah I have the same dilemma.

My choices are Ben against the Ravens or Rex against the Giants.

I really dont know which one to pick. My heart is saying go with Sexy Rexy.

What would you all do? Ben or Rex?

Actually to be honest my brain is saying go with Rex because of the Giants depleted defense.

grossman might put up good fantasy numbers. that's not the problem.

the problem is, there is too much risk that he could get yanked for beck as soon as things start looking rough. as a general rule, players who are uncontested at their positions are a safer bet, and why someone like Big Ben would be a way smarter move, even if you believe Rex is likely to throw for just as many yards or tds.

Hello folks,

This question is specific to my fantasy squad but may also get some you FF players out there thinking, too...just a tip from one Skin Fan to the masses...

On a lark last night, I picked up Grossman off of waivers (dropping my last scrub pick, Jason Snelling of ATL) to get him...I didn't have a back up QB anyway.

That got me thinking. And looking into his stats last year vs. the Giants.

326 yards, 2 TDs. 2 INTs. This season, he seems stronger...and the Giants D is weakened. Home game.

My main starter at QB, drafted in round 5, is Matt Ryan. But he is up (AWAY) against Da Bears this week.

Am I CRAZY to think of using Grossman to start this week based on the stats? In no way am I suggesting he will supplant Ryan for the season...just sayin'...I think Rex could blow the Giants up this week, Fantasy wise.

Thoughts?

If you think about it, Grossman could very well be the better option this week. And if you can, maybe some others can get him cheap off waivers.

HAIL.

I wouldn't think so. I would start Grossman for the simple fact that the LB and secondary for the Giants are simply battered and bruised. I really can see Grossman putting up some impressive numbers vs the Giants. The only downside to that is what the Shannys are thinking. I believe they'll run the ball a great deal to slow the Giants' pass rush. Nevertheless, I would like Grossman to start over Ryan being in Chicago. Play the odds.

grossman might put up good fantasy numbers. that's not the problem.

the problem is, there is too much risk that he could get yanked for beck as soon as things start looking rough. as a general rule, players who are uncontested at their positions are a safer bet.

So go with Ben or Rex?!

Yeah I have the same dilemma.

My choices are Ben against the Ravens or Rex against the Giants.

I really dont know which one to pick. My heart is saying go with Sexy Rexy.

What would you all do? Ben or Rex?

I would pick Ben. My feelings about Rex aside, the Ravens almost never beat the Steelers. The Steelers have had their number for years, so I would go with Roethlisburger. I also don't think the Ravens defense is as good as it was a year ago. Mike Williams should have a very good game (as should Ben).

Wow. Talk about being in a ****storm. :silly: I can imagine, kevin, that you're not alone in that department. With the uncertainty surrounding Manning, you might have to make some tough decisions. :doh:

Yeah, I've immediately realized how much that hurt my team. My other QB is Sanchez. Sanchize needs to have a break out year, or things won't be looking to good for me.

If you want to give yourself the best chance to win, you stick with Ryan.

I have Rex as a backup in my leagues as well. The passing offense is designed to be QB friendly. However, we're playing the Giants. I can't remember the last time I expected a Washington QB to put up good stats against the Giants.

Yeah, I've immediately realized how much that hurt my team. My other QB is Sanchez. Sanchize needs to have a break out year, or things won't be looking to good for me.

You could do alot worse than Sanchez, Kevin, but I certainly would be scouring the waiver wire looking to improve that predicament. Not knocking you here, just don't believe Sanchez will ever be an elite QB. The Jets rely heavily on defense, and ball control offense. I've seen Sanchez make some great plays, but he is far too incinsistent for my liking. He is the very definition of a game manager, and I would likely assume that he would not post alot of fantasy points.

So go with Ben or Rex?!

i was saying to definitely go with ben. even if you assume both QBs will put up similar fantasy numbers, Rex has the additional risk of possibly getting benched as soon as he has consecutive bad series. it may or may not happen, but there's no good reason to take on that risk when you have a QB who will put up similar numbers but without that risk.

As a Rex Grossman owner (backup for Brady) it does seem a bit interesting to me

Imagine if Rex were able to put together a 4 TD game like he did against Dallas....yum

Now for this week the highest rankings the experts have Grossman is 14th overall

Chris Eakin - FFToday # 14

Sablich Brothers - The New York Times # 15

Staff Rankings - KFFL # 15

Kevin Roberts - NFL Soup # 19

I certainily wouldn't think that you could start him over that many guys no matter what the matchups were but I think you could if you had a really crappy choice

Really? Contemplating over Matty Ice? Matt Ryan turned the ball over 12 times in total last year (9/3), and Rex is a turnover machine. Plus Matt Ryan is just better...B&G glasses here!!!!

Also - the Skins don't know what they have with the offensive line, and Rex's mobility is in quesiton. Also - aside from Moss, there are only mediocre weapons with not too much upside at the moment, compared to ATL.

Well, I'm starting Brees on one team and Shaub (Subbing for Peyton Manning) on my other team. I'd go with Ben.

And by the way, OP, don't take this as criticism, but there is a Fantasy Football/Madden forum to put these threads in. Just FYI, not coming down on you. I think this is like the 3rd FF thread this week in here, even though "technically" you can say Grossman is "Redskins" related. I think this belongs in the other forum.

Well, I'm starting Brees on one team and Shaub (Subbing for Peyton Manning) on my other team. I'd go with Ben.

And by the way, OP, don't take this as criticism, but there is a Fantasy Football/Madden forum to put these threads in. Just FYI, not coming down on you. I think this is like the 3rd FF thread this week in here, even though "technicall" you can say Grossman is "Redskins" related. I think this belongs in the other forum.

I think he put it in here because it may be the only forum/thread people may agree with him...

...in the entire world wide web!

Damn, sorry I posted here, but I thought because I could tip some median-level FFers that a Redskins mite be available to help them this week it'd be ok. My fault...

I've got to admit, I was almost convinced to start Rex. Is Ryan good enough to overcome Da Bears? I picked him kind of blindly...not familiar with the guy other than stats.

Next time, I'll post in the right spot. Thanks all.

Archived