Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would make this season a disappointment?

hail2skins

Hate to start a somewhat negative-sounding thread, but Murf's article on his "10 semi-bold predictions" made me think. Murf's #10 point extolls the youth movement on the team, and says (quoting from Murf) that "even if the Redskins go 6-10 for a second-straight season, they’ll do so with a much younger roster and with a roster comprised primarily of players Shanahan and friends specifically targeted for this system."

At the top of the page Mark has a thread asking folks to predict the Redskins record. Mark had a similar thread last year. In it, 75 percent of the respondents thought the Skins would finish .500 or better. 65 percent had us finishing with a winning record, and almost 45 percent had us finishing with double-digit wins.

Well, we know what happened. Record-wise, the team started off relatively well but faltered greatlu after a 4-3 start. The offense, aside from a good week 2 performance against Houston, largely sputtered as all Redskins offenses have done since 1999 (perhaps excepting 2005). The defense, which has mainly been a solid unit over the same timeframe, struggled with the 3-4 adjustment and fell to near the bottom in statistical rankings. And as all this was taking place and ExtremeSkins became its, you know, "extreme" self and the pitchforks were raised, you had folks saying "did you really expect playoffs this year?" Well, according to the numbers, quite a few people appeared to.

Fast forward to the poll this year and the same percentage of folks expect the Skins to go .500 or better. However, the number of folks who think a winning record is in store is at 58 percent, and the number expecting double digit wins is around 30 percent.

I think that when making these predictions, because we're fans of this team, many of us look at the best case scenario. Many of us seem to be happy with the direction the organization is taking, from the deep draft to the free agency period which saw no big money superstars being signed. And then a preseason where the team's performance was mainly solid has given us even more optimism.

I get the sense that many of us aren't that concerned about the final record of the team this year, just as long as "we're making progress." Having said that, is there anything that would make this season a disappointment to you? Not achieving a certain record? The offense continuing to sputter under the Grossman/Beck machine, even with the addition of Hightower and Gaffney? The defense continuing the struggles from last year?

What do you think?

I would be disappointed if:

1) we spend the season switching between Beck and Grossman

2) Our defense does not look more comfortable in the 3-4

3) Our offense moves up and down the field but continues to only get 3 points

4) We make any short-sighted trades that go against the mold we've been building

5) We get swept in the division

Other than that I'm pretty easy to please

Lack of improvement. Specifically large numbers of penalties and missed assignments. Inability of new players to fit the offensive and defensive schemes. Large scale coaching turnover (at the end of the season). Off field or media drama. Selfishness.

For the most part I just don't want to see us keep beating ourselves. If we lose games because our players aren't talented enough then so be it. If we lose games because we are undisciplined and unmotivated then that tells me we're the same old Redskins. That would be a disapointment.

If we finished around .500, or worse better; if it was despite, instead of inspite of good QB play. If that happens, nobody wins. We continue to be mired in the same vicious circle of neither being able to draft our own franchise QB from a potentially top notch class, and being stuck with a sub standard vet. one. Only this time it would be WAY worse as we'd (hopefully) have a developing real good core of quality young guys right across the roster; only for it all to fall down at the helm of the most important player on this or any other team.

I'n that scenario, I'd rather go 0-16 than finish 7-9/ 8-8 or better behind average or worse QB play. That would be the single worst possible thing that could happen to this franchise in both the short and long term IMHO.

Great idea for a thread BTW.

Hail.

I echo various sentiments. If our youngsters fail to show any improvement or our offense once again looks like Leisure World's junior varsity team. I would like to see the defense step up too because there are good enough players there. I want to see Kerrigan look like a beast. Record is almost irrelevant to me, as long as we compete and get at least 6 or so wins. Obviously hoping for more but I am not disillusioned.

Lack of improvement. Specifically large numbers of penalties and missed assignments. Inability of new players to fit the offensive and defensive schemes. Large scale coaching turnover (at the end of the season). Off field or media drama. Selfishness.

For the most part I just don't want to see us keep beating ourselves. If we lose games because our players aren't talented enough then so be it. If we lose games because we are undisciplined and unmotivated then that tells me we're the same old Redskins. That would be a disapointment.

Yes. that's that.

I would say first thing is first: win this first game at home against the Giants. If we lose, it will be same old same old all over again...

This is a team that is supposed to be "rebuilding". I know what this team is capable e of, especially with such a weak schedule, but I won't be looking to be world beaters until we at least get our franchise QB.

My expectations are pretty low, this year. (Although, they got considerably better after watching that Ravens game.)

Folks, we lost some rather big players. Granted, they had to go, for the good of the team. But still, if we got worse, this year, I wouldn't have been shocked.

Me, if we come out of this 6-10 or thereabouts, but we have more of a team identity, I'll consider that progress.

We'd have to stink pretty bad, for me to call the season a disappointment.

6-10 or less.

2nd year in the system. Upgraded through draft and FA. Divas gone. We should be BETTER.

For us to be 6-10 or less, it will take a lot of injuries.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 09:01 PM ----------

My expectations are pretty low, this year. (Although, they got considerably better after watching that Ravens game.)

Folks, we lost some rather big players. Granted, they had to go, for the good of the team. But still, if we got worse, this year, I wouldn't have been shocked.

Me, if we come out of this 6-10 or thereabouts, but we have more of a team identity, I'll consider that progress.

We'd have to stink pretty bad, for me to call the season a disappointment.

Which big players did we lose? AH? He barely played last year. McNabb? He choke 11 games out of 13. Carlos? Not even top 10 CB. Everyone else we cut still looking for job or back up to other teams.

OR do you mean BIG NAMES? We had plenty of that the last 10 years.

You wrote it better than I could have said it. I want to see a team that is growing and getting better.

As I read the other posts, I was struck with the thought that there are going to be some disappointed fans. However, I expect them to be back next year thinking playoffs are just a made field goal away.

To me, a real season disappointment would be a deflated confidence in the coaching staff. You know what I mean - the unexplained decision to do something that defies reason.

It is the elephant in the room. We rationalize the questionable moves - the shift to the 3-4, the McNabb trade, the Haynesworth debacle, the Beck affirmation, the 8 WR roster.

I think we will all accept growing pains and wound cleansing unless we think the Doctor has gone mad.

So, Coach, I can and will live with your decisions to make the team into your vision, this year. However, if your vision "wanders", you should expect my expression of my disappointment.

Besides, after this year, the honeymoon is over.

:helmet:The Rook

Nothing will.....hear me out. I understand we are rebuilding as well as being in the second year of our new system. If we end up with 4 or less wins I can hold my head up high and say that we are making the right moves and when we get our Franchise QB everything will be great. If we end up with 4 or more wins I can say that it is great knowing we are improving. IF we say do things like win the division, win a playoff game, and so on - well nothing disappointing about that now huh?

Not making progress. I sincerely believe we'll see progress, but to what level I cannot say. We had some close games last season, and some blow outs. I'd like to avoid any blow outs, be 8-8 or better and possibly make the playoffs or be in it until the end. I'm disappointed when we're not in the hunt, and when even Rams fans make fun of us. I want to beat the teams we used to beat, and renew the rivalries we used to have instead of being the St. Louis Cardinals (reference to how they were viewed in the 80's). I'm disappointed about last season. I don't want to waste my Sundays watching a team that doesn't play the game well, and doesn't look prepared. That disappoints me.

I do believe this is a better team than last season, so hopefully I'm not disappointed.

Archived