Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Jenkins and unnamed Lineman injured at practice

DeMarco Murray 29

ByBrandon George / Reporter

bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio

1:01 PM on Wed., Sep. 7, 2011 | Permalink

IRVING -- The Cowboys could go into the regular-season opener Sunday night at the New York Jets without starting cornerbacks Terence Newman and Mike Jenkins available. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Jenkins suffered an injury during Wednesday's practice that wasn't related to his lingering stinger problem. Jones also said that Newman, who is out with a pulled groin, won't play Sunday against the Jets.

Jenkins is being evaluated now by Cowboys athletic trainers after leaving Wednesday's practice. Jones also said an offensive lineman is being looked at by the athletic trainers after leaving Wednesday's practice but wouldn't identify the player.

If Jenkins doesn't play, that'll leave the Cowboys starting Orlando Scandrick and Alan Ball at cornerback with Bryan McCann also available. Jones said the Cowboys could make a roster move soon if Jenkins is ruled out for the opener, likely bringing up cornerback Mario Butler from the practice squad.

Follow me on Twitter: @dmn_george

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 02:27 PM ----------

No Newman, No Jenkins ... likely Free or Smith injured seriously. Yup, 0-1 here we come.

We have just gone from the worst secondary in the NFL to the worst secondary in the NFL for the last 10 years. Scandrick and Alan Ball. lmao.

Any word how bad for Smith? Big guys with knee injuries is never good.

MRI later today.

I would imagine it's pretty serious. The didn't disclose who it was until the official press conference. He did not finish practice and it was the knee. IMO, best case scenario he comes back in a few weeks.

Jeremy Parnell against the Jets DL ... may god help us.

This definitely hurts the Cowboys, but I don't think this hurts them that much in week 1. Does the Jet's passing attack scare anyone? If Dallas can stop the run they should be in the game.

The real question is how their offense is going to do against the Jet's defense

This definitely hurts the Cowboys, but I don't think this hurts them that much in week 1. Does the Jet's passing attack scare anyone? If Dallas can stop the run they should be in the game.

The real question is how their offense is going to do against the Jet's defense

Santonio Holmes and Plaxico would sure scare me if we were without our top 2 corners.

It's a run heavy offense, and Sanchez is still working on putting it all together, but losing Jenkins and Newman means they have to give their corners more help to contain two badass wideouts, and can't dedicate as much of their defense to stopping the run. It doesn't hurt them as much as it would going against a pass first team, but it hurts them a lot, imo.

Injuries are a crappy part of the game. That said, **** Dallas. **** them right in the ***

Dallas was going to have a hard time with O-line cohesion to begin with even if the rookie linemen turn out to be any good. This is crushing for them if he's out for any length of time. Plus think about how Trent Williams struggled after looking so good early in the year prior to his injury.

0aDA7.png

Good news!

Great news! Mosley tweeted if their knees check out Ok, both will be playing Sunday. Fingers crossed.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 09:04 PM ----------

What's the big deal?

The pukes are LOADED with talent...that's all I keep reading.

:ols:

And, they have a genius for a defensive coach. :rolleyes:

Correction. Dallas is loaded at talent at every position EXCEPT Offensive line their secondary! The secondary is by far one of the worst in the league.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 09:04 PM ----------

i have a suspicion that teams who's players didnt have the self motivation/initiative to stay in shape and workout on their own are suffering unusually high injuries due to the lack of OTA's.

Either that or the cowgeezers are gettin old.

They are the 13th youngest team in the league. Take out Kitna and Brooking they are around the 7-9th youngest in the league.

Archived