Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Montrae Holland cut, Derrick Dockery added.

JustAfan47

One of our very own has left us to go to the darkside.. :( Oh well at some point I would imagen that he will start for them which should be good for us. :ols:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4683030/montrae-holland-cut-derrick-dockery-signed

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys continue to shake up their offensive line releasing one veteran and adding another on Sunday.

The Cowboys cut Montrae Holland and agent Todd France said the team has a one-year deal with his client, Derrick Dockery, a Garland native.

After Thursday’s preseason finale vs. Miami, owner and general manager Jerry Jones praised Holland’s play. Holland, who received a $500,000 roster bonus once the lockout ended, missed the first three preseason games with a sore back.

Rookie Bill Nagy, a seventh-round pick, will start the season opener at the New York Jets, but Dockery, who worked out for the team Saturday, offers some insurance with 111 career starts in Washington and Buffalo.

Dockery, who turns 31 on Wednesday, was cut last week by Washington in part because he did not fit in Mike Shanahan’s scheme and had a $3.82 million salary. The eight-year vet fell out of favor last year and was inactive for 11 of the Redskins’ final 12 games.

A third-round pick in 2003 out of Texas, Dockery, 6-6, 325 pounds, spent six of his eight seasons with Washington. He was with Buffalo in 2007-08.

Holland, 31, came to the Cowboys in 2008 in a trade with Denver. He played in 21 games and started only four times. He had a chance to claim the starter’s job this year but the back injury kept him out most of training camp.

The coaches have declared Nagy the starter. So he would have to tank pretty bad to be benched. So Dockery starting eventually is a possibility. But Garrett loves the younger offensive lineman.

Week 1 should be

LT - Free LG - Nagy C - Costa RG - Kosier RT - Smith

I'm sure they love Nagy now but when the bullets are flying it will be a miracle to have three guys starting on an offensive line that have never played before and not have problems. In fact, 4 of Dallas' top 6 lineman have yet to take a snap in a real game. And as for the coaching staff "loving" the younger offensive lineman, keep in mind that this is the same offensive staff that loved the line you put together last year. It might all work out just peachy but the odds are long...real long.

I'm sure they love Nagy now but when the bullets are flying it will be a miracle to have three guys starting on an offensive line that have never played before and not have problems. In fact, 4 of Dallas' top 6 lineman have yet to take a snap in a real game. And as for the coaching staff "loving" the younger offensive lineman, keep in mind that this is the same offensive staff that loved the line you put together last year. It might all work out just peachy but the odds are long...real long.

yep. Holland was a disappointment. I was hoping he would do something. Hopefully Dockery has something left in the tank because I have a feeling that he will see significant playing time....

yep. Holland was a disappointment. I was hoping he would do something. Hopefully Dockery has something left in the tank because I have a feeling that he will see significant playing time....

I think that's a safe assumption. It's hard to say how much he has in the tank because he looked bad last year but that just might be because he was such a bad fit for the ZBS. But he should definitely be an upgrade from Holland.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, and I thought JG had confidence in some of the young undrafted guys?

Let's face it, coaches always come out and say those things when talking to the press.

Dockery split time with the first team today in place of LG Nagy. Nagy played pretty well for a rookie, but just didn't have the strength to move his man out of the way

Dockery split time with the first team today in place of LG Nagy. Nagy played pretty well for a rookie, but just didn't have the strength to move his man out of the way

Which roughly translates from puke fan talk into 'he's not very good'...

Which roughly translates from puke fan talk into 'he's not very good'...

He made the blocks he was supposed to and played with great technique but needs a year or two in an NFL strength program. What it means is Dockery has the potential to provide more push in the running game, at the cost of mobility on sweeps, pulls and traps.

He made the blocks he was supposed to and played with great technique but needs a year or two in an NFL strength program. What it means is Dockery has the potential to provide more push in the running game, at the cost of mobility on sweeps, pulls and traps.

Jerruh went into the draft KNOWING that he had issues on the o-line, and the best he could come up with was a guy who really isn't good enough to be a starter in the NFL.

Your GM is brilliant!

Archived