Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Helu #26 and Josh Wilson #26

HtownRocks111

That number shouldn't belong to anyone. #26 is Portis' number and will always be Portis' number. No one should ever wear that number again. For what Portis did for the Redskins, he should be honored way more than this. I think it's a disgrace.

No way. I liked Portis but he wasn't anywhere near good enough to have his # in the retired #/off limits list.

#28 should absolutely be retired though, officially unofficially whatever, no Redskin should wear that # again.

Well, the club doesn't issue certain numbers out of respect for former players. I say either retire them or let others wear them. There was some flack about Danny Wherful wanting to wear Theismann's 7 and Shane Matthews wanting to wear Sonny's 9.

I don't like the "unofficial retired" numbers. I say leave them out of circulation for 5-10 years and then put them back. For the record, 7, 9, 21, 28, 33 (officially retired), 42, 43,44, 49, 65, and 81 aren't issued. If there is more, somone correct me.

I can see Helu taking 27 or a number in the 30s if one of the camp invites get cut.

Well, the club doesn't issue certain numbers out of respect for former players. I say either retire them or let others wear them. There was some flack about Danny Wherful wanting to wear Theismann's 7 and Shane Matthews wanting to wear Sonny's 9.

I don't like the "unofficial retired" numbers. I say leave them out of circulation for 5-10 years and then put them back. For the record, 7, 9, 21, 28, 33 (officially retired), 42, 43,44, 49, 65, and 81 aren't issued. If there is more, somone correct me.

I can see Helu taking 27 or a number in the 30s if one of the camp invites get cut.

#33 is the only Skins number that is officially retired according to the NFL. Or are you saying the rest of the those numbers should be too?

who cares if darrell green's number goes to a rookie?!?!?

last time i checked, the only redskins number that is retired, is #33......

i wish people on here would stop saying this number or that number can't be used because soo and soo had it...... if that was the case, there wouldnt be enough numbers for the 53 man roster!

i would love to see some of the "oh my god, they can't use that number" numbers used.....

ESPECIALLY #'s 7,9,21,28 and,44

I see what you're saying, but I also think these numbers shouldn't go to just anyone.

Those numbers were worn by LEGENDS, and rookies don't deserve to wear them on a Redskins uniform. It's a symbolic tradition that a historic franchise like the Redskins celebrate. Sure, the numbers aren't officially retired, but there's kind of the ambiance to it. It's respect for those who have brought glory to the franchise.

:beatdeadhorse:I would say Wilson has first dibbs cause he is a veteran and Helu a rookie, personally I would like to see Helu wear 43. I know he won't but I think 43 is a sick running back number, Larry Brown style!! HTTR

I like 43 for safeties. 45 is a great number for fullbacks!

here we go again.

Well, my take has two levels.

#1. I think the NFL rules for numbers is dumb. If a RB wants to wear #5 or a DB wants to be #15. Who cares? Does it really impact the game?

#2. I think the Skins should retire numbers AT a certain position for great players. So, no QB can wear number 7, right? Well if the NFL allowed players to wear what they want. It would make it easier for any position other than QB to wear 7 for the Redskins....maybe after 5 years of nobody wearing it as respect for that great player.

I see what you're saying, but I also think these numbers shouldn't go to just anyone.

Those numbers were worn by LEGENDS, and rookies don't deserve to wear them on a Redskins uniform. It's a symbolic tradition that a historic franchise like that Redskins celebrate. Sure, the numbers aren't officially retired, but that's kind of the ambiance to it. It's respect for those who have brought glory to the franchise.

well... if that's the case, those numbers will never be used, because everyone comes into the league as a rookie! also.... then ... awww hell..... forget it..... we can go back and forth for days on this subject.... let's just agree to disagree and move on

well... if that's the case, those numbers will never be used, because everyone comes into the league as a rookie! also.... then ... awww hell..... forget it..... we can go back and forth for days on this subject.... let's just agree to disagree and move on

They are just numbers after it's all said and done. What matters to me is the guy behind the number and what he can do on the field.

I've always associated 27 with hall of famer Kenny Houston, one of my all-time favorites. No one who saw the play will ever forget how he held Walt Garrison in check on the 2 yard line, with Garrison's legs churning. Hard to describe, but a play that defines football for me.

Having said that, I'd be pleased to see Helu wear Houston's number. Maybe more people would remember Houston then. Also, I'm a big fan of #31, Charlie Harraway.

HTTR

here we go again.

Well, my take has two levels.

#1. I think the NFL rules for numbers is dumb. If a RB wants to wear #5 or a DB wants to be #15. Who cares? Does it really impact the game?

#2. I think the Skins should retire numbers AT a certain position for great players. So, no QB can wear number 7, right? Well if the NFL allowed players to wear what they want. It would make it easier for any position other than QB to wear 7 for the Redskins....maybe after 5 years of nobody wearing it as respect for that great player.

I said this last night, QB's and kickers should wear numbers 9-19, Linemen, defensive and offensives\, should be between 50-79, everybody else should wear any number they want to......

#33 is the only Skins number that is officially retired according to the NFL. Or are you saying the rest of the those numbers should be too?

No, I'm saying the other numbers are "out of circulation" meaning the equipment staff does not issue those number and those numbers are not available to current players.

I said this last night, QB's and kickers should wear numbers 9-19, Linemen, defensive and offensives\, should be between 50-79, everybody else should wear any number they want to......

I don't see why a kick can't wear a number in the 90's college style. Or a QB can't be in the 30's Sammy Baugh style. With the quality of uni's and being able to clearly see who the players are on TV now. Its easy to tell who is who.

Archived