Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Dear Mike Shanahan, please pick a quarterback -- any quarterback

themurf

beck083111.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

This might sound a lot like common sense to most, but it apparently needs to be said to the powers that be with the Washington Redskins – when building a football team, there comes a point when you must make a definitive decision about your starting quarterback.

Like I said, that’s not exactly earth-shattering news, but the closer we get to Week 1 of the 2011 season, the more I wonder at what point head coach Mike Shanahan is actually going to anoint his starter.

The battle of John Beck versus Rex Grossman rages on tonight in the team’s preseason finale against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the coaching staff can’t even decide who’ll get the nod in a meaningless exhibition game.

So far this preseason, Grossman has completed 34 of 53 passes for 407 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception. He’s completed 64.2 percent of his passes and has a quarterback rating of 92.3.

The other competitor, Beck, has been equally impressive – completing 20 of 27 passes for 248 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. He’s completed 74.1 percent of his passes and has a QB rating of 99.0.

Jon Gruden’s take aside, these two guys have both played well enough to make this decision a difficult one. But it’s time for Shanahan and friends to show why they make the big bucks.

It’s time to make the difficult decision so everyone involved move on and adjust accordingly.

And look, I’m not ****ing and moaning because the two-time Super Bowl winning coach hasn’t personally informed the media of his decision. Honestly, I couldn’t care less about that.

What I’m much more concerned with is the ability of the other 10 members of Washington’s offense to develop any kind of chemistry with the most important piece of the puzzle.

The longer the Shanahan clan delays the inevitable, the harder it is for the rest of the offense to get on the same page with whichever player gets the nod.

Apparently though, the coaches don’t necessarily agree with my take on this situation.

“These guys are not worried about the quarterbacks,” said offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. “I think guys are worried about their job and making the team themselves. I think they are worried about beating the guy in front of them. As long as the quarterback can call the plays and execute the offense, the players are going to go with whoever is in there.”

While it’s nice of the junior Shanahan to believe that company line, it’s unrealistic. We’re not talking about a pickup game of basketball or Caps coach Bruce Boudreau juggling his lines.

We’re talking about football, where consistency and continuity are vital. Every great offensive line has the benefit of the same five guys working together and developing that bond and cohesiveness.

Why wouldn’t the same hold true for the offense in general – especially when we’re talking about uncertainty at the sport’s most important position?

Don’t take my word for it though. Take it from one of the main weapons in Washington.

Click here for the full article.

If there is one thing this preseason, and the last 3 games of last year, ths Kyle Shanahan scheme works when the QB plays within it.

Both these guys have played within the scheme. Honestly, they seem so interchangeable right now, we could go with OldFan's crazy idea of playing multiple QBs

OT: It's not really that crazy. It would be progressive, but given the fact that both of these guys have strengths and weaknesses it's not absurd.

That said, Murf says in this piece:

We’re talking about football, where consistency and continuity are vital

And I completely agree. So on that end, it's a slippery slope.

If there is one thing this preseason, and the last 3 games of last year, ths Kyle Shanahan scheme works when the QB plays within it.

Both these guys have played within the scheme. Honestly, they seem so interchangeable right now, we could go with OldFan's crazy idea of playing multiple QBs

Read the quotes from Santana Moss in my article. He's much more qualified to speak on this topic than you, me or Oldfan and he's the one saying the sooner, the better. Chemistry is vital for these guys. Knowing who you're lining up with and what to expect from the guy delivering you the football is kinda important.

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 10:47 AM ----------

Honestly, I like the unknown QB. It'll throw off the opponents game planning.

You're missing the point -- it throws off the Redskins offense too.

...Both these guys have played within the scheme. Honestly, they seem so interchangeable right now, we could go with OldFan's crazy idea of playing multiple QBs
The two QB scheme was offered in a thread last August predicting that McNabb would come up short in the red zone...which he did.

John Beck has more talent and fits the scheme better than Rex. He's a better QB anywhere on the field than Rex, so the two-QB scheme makes no sense.

I think the job was Beck's to lose and he held serve.

Mike needed to give everyone, especially the team, the impression that this competition has been a fair one. That's why he won't make the announcement that Beck is the winner probably until Monday's press conference.

In 2007, Todd Collins came in cold, with very few reps with the first team ever, and had better timing with the receivers than Campbell, so its hard to tell how much to make of this chemistry factor.

I think it will mean more to the players once the preseason is done and final cuts have been made. By that time you will be game planning for the games that count and they will need some peace-of-mind as to who they will be rolling with. Hopefully this will be determined over the weekend.

Read the quotes from Santana Moss in my article. He's much more qualified to speak on this topic than you, me or Oldfan and he's the one saying the sooner, the better. Chemistry is vital for these guys. Knowing who you're lining up with and what to expect from the guy delivering you the football is kinda important.

I agree, chemistry really does matter with the QB/WR. We see how Manning/Harrison/Wayne have worked out over the years.

My thought is though, would it really be there at this point, after an entire TC? It would be further along for sure, but not at an out of this world level

I'll bite. danny wuerffel and shane matthews

I like what you did there.

They will know. After tonight and starting with the first practice to prepare for the giants. Which is plenty of time for the team to know who they will be lining up with. You may not, I may not, the public may not and giants may not....BUT THEY WILL..end of story!

Yep. Because one week is all it takes for a quarterback and 10 other moving pieces to be in lock step. Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion.

You know, I wonder how much this perceived uncertainty at QB is indecision and how is just Shanahan being Shanahan and keeping things close to the vest. Isn't the down low his mantra? Especially in the personnel department? I mean, just look at his history with RBs. Sometimes you wouldn't know who the starter was or who was on the active roster until right before the game.

Has any team rotated QBs from week to week and been successful?

Right now there seems to be little difference in effectiveness between the two of them, so I suspect Beck will get the start and I will be fine sticking with him for a few games even if he gets off to a slow start (I'd give either of them some slack on their performance against a good Giants defense that's had our number for years).

However, even if the starter plays well there will be calls for the "other guy" to get his chance to do better, so this QB contest will drag on all season unless one of them screws up and the other shines - but I see it being far more likely they'll both be mediocre.

Ordinarily I would agree w/ you murf because you just make so much sense, but this time I'm not sure. This franchise has been anything ordinary for a long time, and the Katrina level mess inherited by the new regime will take something beyond an ordinary cleanup. I see Shanny the Elder still stressing basic themes and one of those has to be team over individual. This could be as much about not letting Rex assume the mantle of starter in TC as anything else. Your own article points out that the other players are concerned w/ their own assignments (which they should be) and have little time for worrying about the QB question. Yes, there is something to be said for getting chemistry a'bubblin', but unless and until the building blocks are firmly in place, I see Shanahan just harping on Lesson 2 over and over before letting anyone turn to page three.

The uncertainty prevents the Giants from game-planning against us a little bit. Not a lot, but a little bit.

Both have had a ton of reps in practice and have stated repeatedly that they are comfortable with either QB. There's been no dropoff when switching QBs in preseason games. Any disadvantage with respect to "chemistry" that comes from delaying the decision is offset by the inability for the Giants to gameplan with 100% accuracy because of the unknown.

I posted this response in another QB battle thread, but it is kinda dead now, so here goes:

I have no evidence to back this up so take it for what it's worth but I have a feeling that Shanahan chose Beck as the starter during the offseason. I think he feels that Beck has the better attributes to run this offense. I also feel though that Shanahan knew before he could name Beck the starter, Beck would have to at least go out and show SOMETHING in the preseason. He couldn't just come out and name Beck the starter when he had a QB on the roster such as Grossman, who has been in this offense for a few years now, has NFL starting experience, and can be decent to good in the right situation(s). (Afterall, spin it anyway you like, he was the starting QB on a Superbowl team).

So Shanahan, basically had to play this game with the media where it was a 50/50 QB competition. He had to make it look like each guy had an equal shot at the starting spot and that it would be a competition throughout camp and preseason.

My hunch is that it has been Beck's starting spot to lose. Beck was always going to be the starter unless he screwed up during the preseason games. Up to now he has looked solid, at least as good as Grossman, some would argue better, while some would argue neither guy has done something to look much better than the other, however when the coach is on your side, that is enough.

I don't have a problem with this because to me, it comes down to trusting the coach & GM that they are putting the best players on the field to help the team win. If Beck is the starter on Sept 11th, I believe it is because the coaches think he is the best we have.

Thoughts?

I just want to know who the starter will be, and hopefully its after tonights game and not right before the Giants game so that way this first unit can build the chemistry and gel together, get down the timing and understand one another. Right now its like a kid (WR's) with divorced parents (QB's) and I would hate to have to go to different houses each weekend.. the bed,cooking, neighborhood, is all different

It might be a thing where Mike lets the team know and tells them to keep it under wraps without telling us. Regardless, I think when we get to the final 53, we'll probably know who the starter is. I don't think he'll delay it anymore than he thinks is necessary.

So far this year, Shanny seems to have pulled mostly the right strings with this team. I have no reason to 2nd guess him on this. Maybe things are just like he says a true competition for the qb spot and he really has not decided. Come monday, i believe we will all know, when we see who gets all the reps with the first team. Maybe he is just keeping the pressure on both qb's to see how they handle the week in and week out of knowing they need to produce to keep their job. This is typical shanny from his Denver days. He really does play those who earn the playing time and never plays folks based on payroll unlike alot of coaches it seems.

Read the quotes from Santana Moss in my article. He's much more qualified to speak on this topic than you, me or Oldfan and he's the one saying the sooner, the better.
You are choosing your experts selectively. I suspect Mike Shanahan has a pretty good idea of what's he's doing too, but you imply that he's dragging this out longer than he should.

Archived