Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A n00b to the site, but definitely not a new Skins fan.

RypienWasGod

I'm new to this forum, actually just ran across it the other day,,now I'm an addict.

A little background:

I'm 36, and been a Skins fan for as long as I can remember.

One of my earliest memories was watching the disappointing Super Bowl loss to the raiders. My dad and I, huddled around a very small black and white TV watching the game.

I was watching the Monday night game live when Lawrence Taylor broke Theissman's leg and ended his career. I remember Jay Shroeder stepping up and did an excellent job during the years he was a starter. Still today, I believe he was the most under rated Redskins QB during that era. Granted, Coach Gibbs put together a spectacular team. The Posse of Art Monk, Ricky Sanders and Gary Clark was and still remains the best receiver group in NFL history. Gibbs beefed up the offensive line during those years and "Heavy Jumbo" always seemed to keep the heat off Shroeder and find one of those legendary receivers open. It was also exciting to watch the the raw power and collective teamwork between Charles Mann and Dexter Manley.

I actually had the pleasure of meeting Charles Mann at a preseason game vs the Carolina Panthers. I was at the barricade, hollering out every players name as they entered the locker room during half time, Darrell Green turned and waved but Charles Mann actually came over and shook my hand and talked to me and my dad for a few minutes. Until I had met him up close, I could not believe what a mammoth of a man he was. He shook my hand and his gigantic paw completely encased my hand. He was also such a nice and pleasant man to speak with. An experience I'll never forget.

I remember Doug Williams stepping up after Shroeder was hurt, playing a stellar season (actually finishing the season that Shroeder started), taking our team to the Super Bowl and defeating the Bronco's. I remember watching that game, the commentators kept saying "no team has ever come back from a 10 point deficit to win the Super Bowl) Once again, our Skins proved their detractors wrong. I also remember Timmy Smith setting the Super Bowl record for longest run. Unfortunately, neither Williams or Smith had much of a productive season's after that.

Then came Rypien. He was then and even now, the most exciting QB to watch play the game. His 97% passer rating in 1990 was well earned. That guy had an arm like a sniper rifle loaded with a football. He threw hard and long and always seemed to hit his receivers in stride. I loved his aggression and the fact that he never did the QB "slide", but rather lower his head and pads and take on whatever the defense could shell out. I was 15 and he was my idol. The walls of my room was covered in Rypien posters, as well as Art Monk. I had a Mark Rypien jersey and I wore it with pride as much as I could.

After the "Gibbs" era was over and Dan Snyder took over as owner, there hasn't been very much success with the team. Snyder spending extravagant amounts of money and draft trades on washed up players like Bruce Smith,,,,giving up an EXCELLENT player like Brian Mitchell so he could acquire Dion Sanders (who was always more hype than talent). I had a spark of hope when they brought Gibbs back, but the league and players had changed dramatically. Now he was dealing with hot headed, overhyped players that had that destructive "Terrell Owens" type of attitude. Joe Gibbs is too good of a coach to deal with that crap.

I am really optimistic about this team this year. They're young, virtually unknowns, they have a brilliant coach that managed to win 2 super bowls with a John Elway that was past his prime. If these players listen to Shannihan, they will have a great season. If, not,,,If Snyder keeps interfering, it could be another disaster year,,,but I always have hope!

Anyways, thats my background with being a Skins fan,,,I am one of you, trust me

I must say I love hearing about others memories of the Redskins. Mine aren't as fun to put it nicely. Welcome aboard get ready for some very smart football savvy people and then some that wouldn't make sense even if you tired to read their posts backward.

I had every one of Mark's Topps cards,,his jersey, (the white with red letters one), A giant Rypien poster in my room, The SI issue with him on the cover, sealed in plastic,,also had a huge Art Monk poster, and an official helmet in my Room. He led Washington through the best season they ever had. I always loved how he'd pull off a play action, then hit one of the posse 40-50 yards plus with the receiver never having to break stride. The length that he could throw with extreme precision and accuracy was unmatched at the time and still is. If Mark was the age and shape he was in during 90-92 now,,,He'd be throwing circles around Peyton Manning and Tom Brady,,,they would never be able to keep up. I wore my Rypien jersey until it literally fell apart. It broke my heart when the numbers had faded, crunched up and began falling off till you couldn't see them anymore. When my Rypien jersey was officially shot, I used to swipe my dad's custom jersey out of his closet and wear it to school,,,until he busted me and that was the end of that. Mark was the type of QB that u knew, when he looked down field,,,U jump outta your seat cuz he see's an open receiver and he's getting ready to launch a bomb,,,then one of the posse would catch it and you'd be jumping up and down, screaming, hollering at the tv,,,,Mark gave me too many moments like that to count. Tell him that I sincerely thank him for that!

Mark Rypien was underappreciated while here. I always thought he got a raw deal in 1993, when he split time with Rich Gannon (and others) on that god awful team. Booed off the field. We could have rebuilt with Ryp at the helm and may have found ourselves back in contention, as opposed to the mediorcity that plagued us from 1995-1998.

I had every one of Mark's Topps cards,,his jersey, (the white with red letters one), A giant Rypien poster in my room, The SI issue with him on the cover, sealed in plastic,,also had a huge Art Monk poster, and an official helmet in my Room. He led Washington through the best season they ever had. I always loved how he'd pull off a play action, then hit one of the posse 40-50 yards plus with the receiver never having to break stride. The length that he could throw with extreme precision and accuracy was unmatched at the time and still is. If Mark was the age and shape he was in during 90-92 now,,,He'd be throwing circles around Peyton Manning and Tom Brady,,,they would never be able to keep up. I wore my Rypien jersey until it literally fell apart. It broke my heart when the numbers had faded, crunched up and began falling off till you couldn't see them anymore. When my Rypien jersey was officially shot, I used to swipe my dad's custom jersey out of his closet and wear it to school,,,until he busted me and that was the end of that. Mark was the type of QB that u knew, when he looked down field,,,U jump outta your seat cuz he see's an open receiver and he's getting ready to launch a bomb,,,then one of the posse would catch it and you'd be jumping up and down, screaming, hollering at the tv,,,,Mark gave me too many moments like that to count. Tell him that I sincerely thank him for that!

I know he will appreciate that! He truly is one of the nicest guys around, he's keeping very busy and he's very involved in making sure that his daughters succeed as well. Great family all around. It was extremely heartfelt when Rick passed away. Good to have you around buddy!

welcome to the board, now take the pledge: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?203223-****-the-Cowboys

Pledge Made!

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 01:16 PM ----------

Welcome, and mucho props for being new and getting your sig size right. Obviously read the rules before diving in!!

This site is awesome, U bet your sweet asterisk i'm gonna follow the rules!

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 01:19 PM ----------

Welcome aboard. Now let the hazing begin. All new members must bring me beer and my slippers. :D

Sorry man, too busy donning my Art Monk jersey and icing down my 12 pack of bud light!

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 01:25 PM ----------

Had to work one night when the Skins were going to be playing and I was going to miss the game. Called my wife and made her wear my Art Monk jersey for luck since I couldn't,,then I told her to send me a pic to prove she had it on,,lol.

w7UoJ.jpg

Sorry its so blurry, the camera on her phone is crap!

Archived