Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why wasn't Kellen Clemens cut?

BackToGlory

It would seem logical that we would keep a young QB instead of cutting Ben Chappell and keeping Kellen Clemens. I haven't seen anything to warrant me thinking that this guy has anytype of upside. Especially with that interception he threw in the Raven's game. I would have liked us to keep Ben Chappell and cut Clemmons. Do you all think the reason he wasn't cut is because Clemmons is a veteran and the coaches didn't see enough out of Chappell to keep him around? If this has already been discussed in a post I haven't seen it, so please excuse me.

Ben can also go the practice squad. I don't think there's any fear of someone picking him up. I don't think Clemens would qualify for the practice squad...

Personally i think Clemens looked really good in the preseason... He clearly just needs to study the playbook more to understand the system better. I want them to keep clemens to see what he looks like next year...

just my opinion though.

My guess is we cut Chappell early in the hopes that we may get him to clear waivers and practice squad him.

That's my actual prediction, but it could just be that Gutierrez and Clemens outperformed him as well :)

Its going to be interesting to see who makes the practice squad - we can only keep 8 I think. I think we may try to sneak both Royster and Paul through waivers but I'm not at all sure they will not get picked up. I'm not sure we will keep a QB on the practice squad unless we only carry two QBs on the 53.

I wonder if the team will go with only two active roster quarterbacks. Clemens gets an extra week of work, then gets cut too late for other teams needing a third string to pick him up. Then his number is on speed dial if Rex or Beck gets hurt... As to Chapell, if the Shanahans had a notion that he was ready for the NFL they would have kept him around. There's still a chance he gets named to the practice squad, especially if they keep only Rex and Beck active.

I bet he gets cut this weekend.Don't see much upside with Clemens.

I think if he gets a chance he can be serviceable. I liked him coming out of college and thought he could maybe end up the Jets starter. Then they changed directions, drafted Sanchez, and here he is.

I think he's just caught in the numbers game. There's no real need for a third QB to cover a roster spot. If emergency strikes that hard, we're shopping anyway.

~Bang

Thanks that makes sense. I just haven't seen anything from Clemmons that makes me think he is even a servicable QB. I personally don't like his mechanics, he looks like he doesn't have any moxy and appears lost, I know that is mostly due to not knowing the playbook, but I mean he scares me coming in, or even remaining on the roster.

Its going to be interesting to see who makes the practice squad - we can only keep 8 I think. I think we may try to sneak both Royster and Paul through waivers but I'm not at all sure they will not get picked up. I'm not sure we will keep a QB on the practice squad unless we only carry two QBs on the 53.

Keep in mind, Grossman is only signed to a one year deal.

I think if he gets a chance he can be serviceable. I liked him coming out of college and thought he could maybe end up the Jets starter. Then they changed directions, drafted Sanchez, and here he is.

I think he's just caught in the numbers game. There's no real need for a third QB to cover a roster spot. If emergency strikes that hard, we're shopping anyway.

~Bang

And sadly, Sanchez should still be behind Clemens and Brunell - But yes, no need for the 3rd QB spot, keep an extra WR

It would seem logical that we would keep a young QB instead of cutting Ben Chappell and keeping Kellen Clemens. I haven't seen anything to warrant me thinking that this guy has anytype of upside. Especially with that interception he threw in the Raven's game. I would have liked us to keep Ben Chappell and cut Clemmons. Do you all think the reason he wasn't cut is because Clemmons is a veteran and the coaches didn't see enough out of Chappell to keep him around? If this has already been discussed in a post I haven't seen it, so please excuse me.

If he hangs on past the next cut then you might ask this question, the other question is how did Ben Chappell look in practice? Just because they brought him in doesn't mean he made an impression on the coaching staff.

Thanks that makes sense. I just haven't seen anything from Clemmons that makes me think he is even a servicable QB. I personally don't like his mechanics, he looks like he doesn't have any moxy and appears lost, I know that is mostly due to not knowing the playbook, but I mean he scares me coming in, or even remaining on the roster.

That Hail Mary against Baltimore was pretty telling on his arm strength as well. Are you telling me you can't even get it close to the endzone from the 50? Really?

Because someone needs to play in the second half tonight. It would be interesting to see if he gets the third quarter and Guitie gets the fourth or if Clemens just get's the whole second half.

In my opinion, he needs to go, but we'll see.

I would think you would want your 3rd QB to be a veteran old guy. Hell, usually the backup is a veteran old guy (collins/kitna).

I dunno, is it more typical to have your 3rd guy be a rookie so that if you're in that awful situation(first 2 QBs out for the year) the rook can get reps?

I would think nah, because you might still be in the playoff hunt in that situation and you gotta have a veteran.

As for the Ravens pick, yea, I wanted his head too, but you have to let it go. I've wanted a lot of players' heads within a few hours of the game but it just isn't fair to judge them off one or two really bad plays.

Unless you're Shaun Suisham.

Archived