Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it possible the Bucs "backup" defense could determine our starting QB for week 1?

Audible_Red40

Say it ain't so!

This could not be possible, could it? To most, the race is neck and neck going down the stretch run. Some are in favor of Beck and some in favor of Grossman. Some say it has been Beck all along, some think it's Grossman because he's the "vet" and gives us the best chance to win.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Bucs-Trim-Roster-to-80/8c93a7f0-1997-4bfc-97e1-3f03804b20de

The fact that most of the team’s starters will be rested during that final warm-up game against the Washington Redskins also may have played a role in the specifics of Monday’s cuts. With reserves slated to see most of the action, the Bucs likely needed to retain a certain amount of depth at some positions. For instance, the team is still carrying nine back-up offensive linemen as it heads into that Washington game, enough for almost two full line rotations even if all five starters don’t play.

Coach Shanahan must have his mind made up? But is it possible that if one QB really struggles tomorrow night with whoever he is playing with or against on the field, that no matter what has happened in previous games and/or practices, this one single performance can determine their fate?

If one QB is ok, and the other is horrible, can he possibly pick the man that was horrible?

I doubt it. I believe he knows who will start and im sure early next week we will find out who.

But lets say it's Beck. And he goes out and ****'s the bed tomorrow night, can he possible name him the starter?

---------- Post added August-31st-2011 at 03:54 PM ----------

Im pretty sure they will base their decision on the entire preseason. To ask the question of whether our QB will be decided by one team, one game and their back-ups, is just dumb. Sorry guy. Hope you dont take that personally. I just call it like I see it!

That's my point. It's apparently an even race and still "evaluating". If one is no good tomorrow, like REALLY bad, can he possibly be the week one starter still?

I think Shanahan knows who his starter is and I would say the team does also. But he doesn't have to announce it until gameday and he won't

I agree that Shanny knows but I dont think the team knows. It really doesn't matter if Rex outplays Beck vs TB because the majority of fans and media all believe that Beck is Shannys guy. I'd be surprised if Kyle calls anything aggressive for Beck to keep him safe from mistakes. We all know that was the formula vs the Colts. As of now its Becks job to loose and Shanny isn't about to let that happen. IMHO.

Ps for the record I'm 60% for Grossman and 40% for Beck...but if Beck or Rex does start week one ill be 100% behind him

They already know who it is. They just aren't letting anyone else know.

If there's one thing about Mike Shanahan, if there is a secret he CAN keep, he will absolutely keep it and misdirect all inquiry until the last possible second.

Not naming the starter is a card in his hand. He won't play it til he has to.

In this case, it's significant because the Giants have squat they can use to prep for Beck. No real film on him other than these preseason games.

My bet is next Wednesday he will "officially" announce what he's probably known for at least two weeks.

~Bang

If there's one thing about Mike Shanahan, if there is a secret he CAN keep, he will absolutely keep it and misdirect all inquiry until the last possible second.

In this case, it's significant because the Giants have squat they can use to prep for Beck. No real film on him other than these preseason games.

My bet is next Wednesday he will "officially" announce what he's probably known for at least two weeks.

~Bang

That's one thing I don't like about Shanny. All the lies, secrecy, and deception. I think he already knows who the starter is also.

That's one thing I don't like about Shanny. All the lies, secrecy, and deception. I think he already knows who the starter is also.

Really? I love that about him. Why give up more information to the other team than you have to? It is a bad move and most successful coaches know that.

Really?

Maybe you'd like us to tell them the plays, too?

Surprise is a vital part of football.

~Bang

~Bang

I was thinking he would announce at 1pm on Sept 11th gameday

So Beck will get the job by hardly playing against 1st team defenses?

I'll believe it when I see it.

This preseason-to-date:

Grossman has had 6 possessions against starters.

Beck has had 7 possessions against starters.

Grossman has had 7 possessions against backups.

Beck has had 2 possessions against backups.

This preseason, both QB's have played about the same amount against starters, while Rex has gotten significantly more work against backups.

Its gonna be Rex? Why else would you give him starts last year and not allow Kyle to have full access to the playbook? You want to win this year thats why you go Rex and the rookie comes in 2012 and starts. Beck does nothing for you

What if Beck plays well and we dont have to use a top pick on a QB next year?

I wouldn't exactly describe him like that. He's certainly not as open and talkative as a 13 year old little girl, but I was just thinking to myself this morning, everytime he's made some sort of major statement that the fans have to tried to read more into than what he's said, in the end its actually turned out to be exactly as he stated it would be. Just because he doesn't get into every little piece of minutiae regarding every single situation doesn't necessarily make him a liar, secretive, or deceptive :2cents:

Its gonna be Rex? Why else would you give him starts last year and not allow Kyle to have full access to the playbook? You want to win this year thats why you go Rex and the rookie comes in 2012 and starts. Beck does nothing for you

You wanna win now but draft a rookie next year and start? That doesn't make any sense. Thats going backfowards next year. Isn't it? If you want a rookie to start next year you're going to want a high draft pick rookie like top three. You won't get that with win now mentality. Why don't you just start Beck then if he fails well we have a top ten pick. If he success we try and build around him and get a QB to groom. That sounds like playing both sides of the fence to me.

---------- Post added August-31st-2011 at 08:49 PM ----------

the ceiling for the big 3 QBs is much higher than beck

I think Lindley has just as high ceiling as those three too. Especially in this system.

Archived