Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

per NFL.com "Cooley says he will be ready for Redskins' opener"

HA1LV1CT0RY

There is no doubt in Redskins tight end Chris Cooley's mind that he will be ready to play in Washington's regular-season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 11.

The Washington Post reported Monday that Cooley plans to return to practice next week despite missing much of the preseason due to swelling and soreness in his left knee, which he had arthroscopic surgery on after the 2010 season.

more in link :giantsuck:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821d4ed5/article/tight-end-cooley-says-he-will-be-ready-for-redskins-opener?module=HP11_headline_stack

agree...Cooley is not that good where we need him when he hasn't practiced, Fred Davis will be fine. should have traded him after last season when he was healthy. He has had some untimely fumbles over his career and with him not taking any hits, I wouldnt chance it (even if he was 100%)

The vagueness of the Cooley diagnosis ("swelling in the knee") makes me think (and this is purely speculation) this is one of those nagging injuries that hangs around for the whole season, and then later, you find out in the offseason that he needed additional surgery but decided to save it for the end of the 2011 season.

A rusty, probably lost a step, just coming off of injury Chris Cooley with the chance his knee swells in the midde of the game...or a healthy Fred Davis? I don't see the upside in rushing Cooley back, unless there is no doubt he's absolutely 100%

oh come on, It's like some of you here can't wait for a guy to get old, or lose a step or whatever. Santana's refusing to do it, despite people being 'sure' he's done as much as 2 years ago.

Cooley's 29. He played in 16 games last season. The year before was the the only season in which he did not play 16 games. He had 850 yards, many of them of awesome plays where Cooley's, well, being Cooley. He's awesome, he's a pro bowl TE, he needs to start. What makes you think he's 'probably lost a step'?

I get you're just saying not to rush him, but your post kinda has the tone of those people who think they're smarter than our FO suggesting we trade Cooley, or should have last year. We haven't been used to having star players that other teams really want, and that's the only time you're getting a 1st or 2nd round pick. It's just plain delusional to think trading Cooley, or just sitting him because he 'probably lost a step' would be the smartest thing to do with him.

Sleepy Davis is fine, he makes his plays, it's great to have him, and he'll likely be around when it's time for Cooley to go. So speaking of not rushing things, let's try no to rush Davis in so quickly either ;)

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 11:26 PM ----------

Yeah seriously. Just the thought of having Reed Doughty out there makes me really scared

Seriously. I like him, but he's one of those guys who you can plainly see getting out-run, out-jumped, etc. Despite all the heart or whatever, he's just not as athletic as the other guys.

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 11:31 PM ----------

The vagueness of the Cooley diagnosis ("swelling in the knee") makes me think (and this is purely speculation) this is one of those nagging injuries that hangs around for the whole season, and then later, you find out in the offseason that he needed additional surgery but decided to save it for the end of the 2011 season.

"swelling in the knee" means "swelling in the knee", it's not really that vague.. It's common after an arthroscopic knee surgery I believe. I guess Gilbert Arenas comes to mind, and yea his stuff kept swelling up repeatedly. Let's hope Chris doesn't do the same, he's tough. If he can play, play him.

He's been quiet i'd agree but I would describe Cooleys career as less than spectacular. Your not losing anything with Davis starting.

I wish we would stop taking advantage of Cooley in this manner.

Considering where he came from and how he got into the league, Cooley has made an extraordinary career. Besides around half of one season, he has been one of our most solid players on offense since we drafted him. I consider the drafting of Cooley to be Gibbs' best personnel move in his second stint.

He's still young, hungry, and wants to play for the Redskins. Personally, I can't wait to see #47 back on the field.

oh come on, It's like some of you here can't wait for a guy to get old, or lose a step or whatever. Santana's refusing to do it, despite people being 'sure' he's done as much as 2 years ago.

You nailed this **** to the wall. This fanbase wants to be like the Patriots so bad, they want to kick every good player we have to the curb as fast as possible, just to make sure they aren't still here when they begin to decline; even at the risk of doing it 2-3 years earlier than necessary, just to be super-duper sure. Newsflash, we aren't in that position yet.

Wow, and you guys are too quick to judge other members of this fanbase. I am not of the crowd who thinks we should trade cooley, I hope we keep him, until he retires a redskin. I love cooley, I own his jersey, hes a core redskin and one of the only bright spots of our piss pour team the last few years. I also don't think I'm smarter than the FO, but was rather drawing from my experience as an athletic trainer. If cooley rushes back, not 100%, there is a very good chance he reaggrevates his injury, and for what? In the ONE position where we actually have depth, why dont we use it? Thats all I was saying.

Fred Davis has been less than spectacular this preseason.

That's what I was going to add. He's made a few catches and I realize they are looking at alot of guys in preseason, but he really hasn't stood out.

---------- Post added August-31st-2011 at 01:01 PM ----------

He's been quiet i'd agree but I would describe Cooleys career as less than spectacular. Your not losing anything with Davis starting.

Disagree. I won't go into detail, but if ou think his career has been less than spectacular then I don't know what to tell you. He's been at least a top 10 or better TE in the league during his career. There are 32 starting TEs in the league. Do the math.

That's what I was going to add. He's made a few catches and I realize they are looking at alot of guys in preseason, but he really hasn't stood out.

---------- Post added August-31st-2011 at 01:01 PM ----------

Disagree. I won't go into detail, but if ou think his career has been less than spectacular then I don't know what to tell you. He's been at least a top 10 or better TE in the league during his career. There are 32 starting TEs in the league. Do the math.

OK, the math would be top 3rd of the league with some of the years in top 15 or top half. That maybe spectacular to you I guess. He's been solid and I like him but not great.

Archived