Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kentucky.com: UK basketball locks out student newspaper

Sticksboi05

The head of the University of Kentucky's basketball media relations department banned the university's student newspaper from Tuesday's media interviews with the team.

DeWayne Peevy, UK's associate athletics director for media relations, rescinded an invitation to the Kernel's basketball writer for the interviews after learning that he had contacted two students rumored to be walk-ons this fall on the basketball team. The reporter, Peevy said, broke the university's unwritten policy barring media from interviewing student-athletes without first going through UK's media relations teams.

The decision to ban the writer "is so clearly a violation of First Amendment rights for the university to condition access on gathering or publishing information the way the university wants you to do it," said Kentucky First Amendment lawyer Jon Fleischaker.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/08/30/1862265/uk-athletics-student-newspaper.html#ixzz1WWjYU4ob

it's Kentucky, so not that may are capable of reading the paper anyways.

but seriously, what I got from the article is that one must contact UK's media team before interviewing their student-athletes. But the people who were interviewed were only rumored as walk-ons, which makes it seem like they were not student-athletes yet as they weren't confirmed walk-ons, thus the reporter didn't have to contact UK's media team. So it seems to me, assuming my interpretation is correct, that this reporter got the scoop on some walk-ons and Peevy is peeved they were exposed early as it takes control away from him, who likely had a timetable for introducing the new players.

and the policy is unwritten, so how exactly can something unofficial be upheld?

The head of the University of Kentucky's basketball media relations department banned the university's student newspaper from Tuesday's media interviews with the team.

DeWayne Peevy, UK's associate athletics director for media relations, rescinded an invitation to the Kernel's basketball writer for the interviews after learning that he had contacted two students rumored to be walk-ons this fall on the basketball team. The reporter, Peevy said, broke the university's unwritten policy barring media from interviewing student-athletes without first going through UK's media relations teams.

The decision to ban the writer "is so clearly a violation of First Amendment rights for the university to condition access on gathering or publishing information the way the university wants you to do it," said Kentucky First Amendment lawyer Jon Fleischaker.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/08/30/1862265/uk-athletics-student-newspaper.html#ixzz1WWjYU4ob

Oh, silly Mr. Peevy. You must not know reporters very well. :)

And the policy is unwritten, so how exactly can something unofficial be upheld?

I doubt the policy is unwritten. I worked in media relations at a few D1 schools and media members know the policy and it is always published in media guides and such. Stuff like this happens everywhere, but rarely does it result in someone getting "barred" and I think this goes a little too far since it is about rumored walk-ons.

University level athletics departments seem to be really terrible at a surprisingly large number of basic running-an-athletics-department-type things.

Who cares whether or not the policy is written down? Based on the article it sounds like they're barring a journalist from reporting on a state-sponsored organization's event, simply because his articles don't match their preferred timeline. If that's the case then they can go to hell. Good for him for doing his job and reporting on what's happening in the community around him.

Archived