Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Terrence Austin will (or should) make the team

Skadden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhECDCe9_Mg

To most people, Austin's place on the final 53-man roster is a lock. And there are plenty of reasons why that's the case. While he doesn't have the prototypical makeup of a #1 WR in the league, he makes up for it in producing when called upon and filling in remarkably well on returns. That's the obvious stuff. But the smaller stuff he does will really cement his stay here, something that's often overlooked. One of those small contributions that helped out in a big way was on Hightower's 37yard TD run against the Ravens. In the linked video above at around the :05 second mark, you can see Austin crossing the screen to put a little block on #28 of the Ravens. Why is that important? Because that's the guy who nearly caught Hightower at the end of his run and could've prevented him from scoring. But Austin, by getting a body on #28, was the difference between a TD saving tackle and a TD.

While some may argue that we would've had the ball on the one yard line anyways, you always want to take a score any time you can get one, no matter how close it gets you to the end zone. God knows how many times we've had it there and done things like drawing a 10 yard holding penalty, fumbling the ball, and or blowing a FG. Indeed, as they say, the NFL is a game of inches. Austin's little block gave the Redskins the inches we needed to score immediately. That's heartening to see from someone like Austin, but it appears that's the attitude a lot of other Redskins have adopted. And if the inches thing goes our way this year, a lot of the close games we would've otherwise lost may very well turn into wins.

I want Austin and Niles Paul on the final roster.

As do I. The final sign that solidifies once and for all that we are committed to team building would be to keep the young drafted players that have shown to have significant potential and cut the "safe" older vets (such as Stallworth) that were brought in for competition. I would like to see both of these guys on the squad and for the staff to not pull a Joey Galloway/Roydell Williams and keep vets in backup roles. That doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose at all.

As do I. The final sign that solidifies once and for all that we are committed to team building would be to keep the young drafted players that have shown to have significant potential and cut the "safe" older vets (such as Stallworth) that were brought in for competition. I would like to see both of these guys on the squad and for the staff to not pull a Joey Galloway/Roydell Williams and keep vets in backup roles. That doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose at all.

When I heard Galloway was coming here last year, I thought it was for a coaching spot.

Honestly, the question for Austin should not be if he makes the team but if he gets significant playing time.

I think he would be great in relief of one of our starting WRs. He has arguably looked better than all of them so far except for Moss.

Austin may turn out to be a gamer.

Archived