Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Projecting the Final 53

rd421

projecting-the-final-53-copy.jpg?w=604&h=364

OK so the preseason games that matter are over, and they have been a TON of fun to watch this year. Tim Hightower has cemented himself as the starting running back, and whoever wins the QB battle looks like a solid option.

Watching week four in the preseason is like watching, well week four of preseason football. Most of the roster is taking shape and save a spot or two it’s time to start projecting the final 53.

Now this is going to be a little odd due to the fact that Kareem Moore is going to be out on the PUP for most likely the first few weeks (he has to be activated by week six) and the four game suspension of Phillip Buchanon.

These two spots very well could open the door for Brandon Banks to make the roster for at least a few weeks… IF he stays healthy. I would not be super shocked if Shanahan hides Banks on IR like he did Malcolm Kelley last season, ensuring that no one else picks him up. The biggest question mark that I have comes after Moore and Buchanon are able to play.

Is there even a spot on this roster for Kareem more? That is going to depends on how Chris Horton does in the first few weeks.

I am honestly still not convinced that Brandon Banks makes this team flat out. More than likely it doesn’t even depend on things he can control. It is going to depend on how Donte Stallworth plays for the first few weeks, Banks’ knee, and how Niles Paul looks. If Stallworth is productive and Banks is still struggling with injury, it will be hard for Banks to stick.

Thought Banks has game changer ability on returns, guys like Niles Paul and Terrance Austin have also shown flashes of return ability themslevs. Even though Paul and Austin are not as explosive as Banks on returning, the fact that they are both head and shoulder abov Banks as a WR cannot be overlooked.

So all that said here is the first annual Son of Washington Final 53.

QB

1. John Beck

2. Rex Grossman

3. Kellen Clemens

RB

4. Tim Hightower

5. Ryan Torain

6. Roy Helu

FB

7. Darrel Young

8. Keiland Williams

TE

9. Chris Cooley

10. Fred Davis

11.LoganPaulsen

Continue Reading Here

What do you guys think?

What would you do with the extra spots from Buchanon and Moore?

There's no way we keep 7 WR AND Banks. At best we will keep 7 WR including Banks.... I personally think we may only keep 6 WR and try to put Paul on PS, HOWEVER if they feel they cannot safely stash him there then we will keep 7 WR max. Stallworth, unfortunately, is the odd man out.

-------------------------------------------------

QB (2): Grossman, Beck,

RB (3): Hightower, Torain, Helu,

FB (2): Young, Williams

WR (6): Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Hankerson, Austin, Banks

TE (3): Davis, Cooley, Paulsen

OT (4): Williams, Brown, Locklear, Smith

OG (3): Lichtensteiger, Chester, Hicks,

C (2): Montgomery, Cook (C/OG)

= 25

Kelly, Stallworth, Clemens all cut. Sellers is a probably cut as well because of the emergence of Young; see my comments later.

We will likely IMO only keep 2 QBs, since we can have another on PS for 3rd team offense throws. Clemens has looked dreadful, and if we have to use more than 2 QBs in a game we will probably already be lost.

PS Offense (6): Chappel, Hurt, Royster, Robinson, Oldenburg?, Paul

DL (7): Carriker, Cofield, Bowen, Bryant, Golston, Scott, Worthington

LB (8): Kerrigan, Fletcher, McIntosh, Orakpo, Alexander, Fox, Riley, Jackson

CB (5): Hall, Wilson, Buchanon, Barnes, Westbrook

S (5): Landry, Atogwe, Doughty, Russell, Gomes

= 25

Jenkins on IR :(. Moore on PUP for first 6 weeks. Horton, Blades, and R Jones have all looked terrible and will be cut. We will probably PS Russell or Gomes after we get Moore back.

PS Defense (4) = Neild, Thompson, White, Shannon

ST (3) = Gano, Rocca, Sundberg

25 Offense + 25 Defense + 3 Special teams = 53 total.

Comments on extras:

There's a couple positions in flux I see that could happen. We could keep 6 DL and/or only keep 8 OL and have one or two other spots for a Sellers, Paul, or Thompson (since Buchanon is suspended for 6 games).

I don't think you can justify keeping eight recievers. And I believe suspended lists allow an open roster space so Buchanon won't count to the 53 on the opening day roster.

That's why we still have Banks he gets the Spot from Buchanon till he's back I know it's out there just my initial thoughts

Can anyone please tell me why the hell we would keep Clemens?

The 3rd QB position on a roster is reserved for a young developing QB

Clemens is neither young or developing. I see no reason to keep that guy

Soo just roll with 2??

Clemens stays. You need a 3rd string to run the scout team. Besides he's got experience and could be considered another Shanahan reclaimation project at this point much like Beck & Grossman.

If you go by fan-visible performance this offseason alone there is no question that you cut Clemens and roll with only two QBs. However, it's not impossible that he has impressed the coaches enough in one way or another to warrant keeping around for a little while. His presence certainly wouldn't preclude us from developing a younger QB on the practice squad, although it would prevent us from keeping someone elsewhere.

You need a 3rd string to run the scout team.

That 3rd QB doesn't need to occupy a roster spot, though.

Clemens stays. You need a 3rd string to run the scout team. Besides he's got experience and could be considered another Shanahan reclaimation project at this point much like Beck & Grossman.

A PS QB could run the scout team.

In addition to the 7-8 WR's, which seems highly unlikely regardless of the logjam we have there, there are quite a few typos throughout the article. Not trying to critcize you, just wanted to give you a heads up.

A PS QB could run the scout team.

In addition to the 7-8 WR's, which seems highly unlikely regardless of the logjam we have there, there are quite a few typos throughout the article. Not trying to critcize you, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Agreed on the QB. Considering how bad Clemens looked against Baltimore considering he's a vet who has started before, I can't imagine him making the roster. I think they picked up Gutierrez to be a potential practice squad QB.

I don't think you can justify keeping eight recievers. And I believe suspended lists allow an open roster space so Buchanon won't count to the 53 on the opening day roster.

Stallworth has really slowed since week one and didn't do himself any favors with his lack of separation and not breaking up the int v the ravens. For a seasoned vet, he should be taking advantage of these 2nd and 3rd stringers he's facing.

I also can't see us going 6 Dlineman. I would add Worthington to the mix. I thought he was far more effective than Golston in the Ravens game

That's why you put a QB on the PS since running the scout teams is their primary purpose. Given that there is no longer a third QB rule, the only purpose left for a 3rd QB on the 53 would be a project your working on who you don't think makes it through to the PS.

I know Westbrook only makes it for his ST contributions, but I would rather see a young player with potential in his slot... We know what we have with Byron... He is a fringe player every year.

The 3rd QB will be a rookie on the PS.

Not sure if Horton will make the team...They like Gomes and Russell

I see us carrying 6 WR's, that includes Banks.

Paul to PS

As a previous poster stated, I think we will be adding a few pieces currently not on the roster, especialy on the OL and DL.

There are about 950 players slated to be FA's in just about a week, not mentioning that we can grab someone off another practise squad!

Archived