Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Not Cool, Best Buy in Howelll, NJ

Fear Our D!

I get supply and demand. However... As high of a demand that a PS3 (or whatever hot item at the time) is/was they don't sell outside of reasonable profits. To sell a 5 dollar case of water for 40 bucks is absurd and just a crappy idea to begin with. Sell it for 12 bucks instead of the normal 10 or whatever they charge up there. To sell it for 40 bucks ?

Those two price points are 1.99 and 1.69 each, which is probably what they charge for them individually in the refrigerators. So when someone takes it up, they probably just ring it up for 24 or 12 units.

Great point. Hmmm...

Nothing to see here then.

I apologize.

Supply and demand. Econ 101.

In Florida that is a felony, it is called gauging. Even after the storm you can not charge more than a 50% markup on things like plywood. But fuel, water and food are even more guarded, I think it is like 20%. They passed a law after all the hurricanes in '05.

In Florida that is a felony, it is called gauging. Even after the storm you can not charge more than a 50% markup on things like plywood. But fuel, water and food are even more guarded, I think it is like 20%. They passed a law after all the hurricanes in '05.
Gouging is a dumb crime.http://reason.com/archives/2011/08/25/almost-everything-were-taught
What about price-gouging? State laws attempt to prevent people from charging "unconscionable" prices during emergencies.

"If I'm in the neighborhood of Hurricane Katrina," Boaz said, "what I want is water and ice and generators. ... If you are in Kentucky (and) you've got 10 generators in your store, are you getting up at 4 a.m. to drive all day to get to Louisiana to sell these generators if you can only sell them for the same price you can sell them for in Kentucky? No, you're going to go down because ... you can sell them for more."

Also, if prices rise during an emergency, that's a signal for people to buy only what they most need. That leaves more for everyone else. If the price remains low, an incentive to conserve is lost

Those two price points are 1.99 and 1.69 each, which is probably what they charge for them individually in the refrigerators. So when someone takes it up, they probably just ring it up for 24 or 12 units.

Yep at first I was like :yikes: and then I went :geek: and did the math, I guarrantee it's just like you said, individual pricing and just what you'd expect to find at a convenience store.

I think Florida did the right thing by setting limits to the mark-up thus still making it profitable for a guy in KY. to load up a truck of generators and drive them to Fl. The real problem occured after Andrew when street trucks were selling $25. sheets of plywood for $200.00 and people had to board up for security and had no choice. Also water was going for like $5. a bottle and gas was $10 a gallon at some stores, they were all busted btw.

I think Florida did the right thing by setting limits to the mark-up thus still making it profitable for a guy in KY. to load up a truck of generators and drive them to Fl. The real problem occured after Andrew when street trucks were selling $25. sheets of plywood for $200.00 and people had to board up for security and had no choice. Also water was going for like $5. a bottle and gas was $10 a gallon at some stores, they were all busted btw.

Did they have to pay fines or do time or what?

Supply and demand. Econ 101.
And when a brick goes through the plate glass window that will be Physics 101. At the very least the locals will probably shun the store from now on, a good lesson in Introductory Marketing. Don't care if they're just selling cases at the single bottle rate, it's absolutely horrible PR and I guarantee you somebody will get torn a new body opening by corporate.

I went to Florida back in the early 2000's in December. It hit a record low for the entire week. I think the high for some days was only like 38 degrees. I packed pretty appropriately, but did not think to get a tossle hat. Long story short, Disney was selling tossle hats for $40 bucks. Oh yeah, and not disney tossle hats.....they were straight up bought from Wal-Mart.

Did they have to pay fines or do time or what?

Fines, they were hit where they were hurt if they were legitimate, and if not licensed then they were charged with third degree felonies. I know this because I worked in Homestead and Miami after Andrew and saw alot of this stuff going on. The Feds were unable to do much having thier hands so full, but the local police were locking up people all over the place.

an example of what happens, and from what I remembe the laws have been stiffened since this.....

Camp Out is charged with violating the price gouging statute, which carries a maximum fine of $1,000 for each occurrence and a violating the unfair and deceptive trade practices statute, which carries a penalty of $10,000 – which grows to $15,000 if any victims are over the age of 60.

In a separate matter, Crist announced the settlement of a price gouging and unfair trade practices investigation involving Monarch Drapery & Carpet Cleaning Company doing business as Coit Services of South Florida and Coit Drapery & Carpet Cleaners. The investigation revealed that Coit sent trucks into several South Florida neighborhoods in search of damaged homes.

The settlement calls for complete reimbursement of slightly more than $3,000 to four consumers. The company is also required to pay $10,000 in attorney costs and fees over a period of 90 days.

If this would have happened in Florida, Best Buy would be all over the news and the corporate HQ would not be happy, which I don't think they will be anyway.

---------- Post added August-28th-2011 at 12:35 PM ----------

http://myfloridalegal.com/__852562220065EE67.nsf/0/436BA2A517C484F385256F18004E0123?Open&Highlight=0,penalty,gouging

---------- Post added August-28th-2011 at 12:36 PM ----------

Shortly following the tornados, one of the victims contacted the Attorney General’s Office, claiming the tree removal company had billed her and her 83-year-old neighbor for the same job. An investigation by the Attorney General’s Office revealed that Sun State charged the neighbors a combined total of nearly $13,000 for removing a tree which had landed on both roofs. The company billed each neighbor separately for the one job then submitted two separate claims to the insurance company. Each claim detailed the total cost of labor, time and equipment which equaled approximately $6,000.

The civil complaint filed by the Attorney General’s Office alleges one count of price gouging, which carries a maximum civil penalty of $1,000 per violation, and one count of violating Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, which carries a maximum civil penalty of $10,000 per violation and $15,000 for each violation victimizing a senior citizen. The Attorney General’s Office is also seeking restitution, damages and attorney's fees.

Archived