Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beck Over Grossman in a VERY, VERY Small LANDSLIDE

kleese

I was impressed with the way Beck threw the ball against Baltimore. I agree with the point Gruden made that he looked Brees'esque. I'll go with the guy who spent his offseason waiting for his chance working out with Super Bowl Winning QBs. If Grossman starts I'll be fine with that as well... it's really hard to judge how Beck will play when the lights shine even brighter... I'm reminded of that team that had Trent Green, Gus Frerrotte and John Friesz as starting QB during the season for some reason....

I'm cool with either, but at this point I think it is better to go with the unknown and give Beck a shot. If he stinks it up for a few games, they can always put Rex in. I think they will draft a QB next year no matter what, but how well Beck performs this year will determine how early they draft one and when that QB will be pushed into a starting role.

Beck is 30, but he came into the NFL late, so he is not much different than any other QB that has mostly been on the bench for 4 years, except that he is a few years older.

It is obvious that the Shanahans have confidence in him, so I think the guy should get a legit chance to show what he can do.

If I am the coach of an NFL team, I play Week 1 the exact same way I play the Super Bowl. So by your way of thinking, Rex should be the starter until he warrants being pulled.

You missed his whole point. The point of starting Rex in week 1 is if ONLY week 1 mattered. But if you are thinking long term, the future of this team for the next several years, then it makes sense to let Beck have at it.

You missed his whole point. The point of starting Rex in week 1 is if ONLY week 1 mattered. But if you are thinking long term, the future of this team for the next several years, then it makes sense to let Beck have at it.

Maybe I missed his point, but to me the OP was saying that because we had little to no chance of making the SB this year, that we should just throw Beck in there Week 1 to see what happens.

My point is- why would you sabotage your chances of winning the first four games of the season when you feel that Rex gives you the best chance to win the SB? Since when does Week 1 not matter?

I'm leaning toward Grossman though there's a small sample size of Beck. I'm curious to see how the Shannahans will play their QBs in the TB game.

Yeah, gonna be a very interesting 4th preseason game.

I can't believe how critical some folks have been of Grossman in this thread and others. The "he doesn't work as hard" stuff was the most offensive. The "Kyle calls a more aggressive game when Beck is playing" stuff was the most hilarious.

II have been impressed by Beck way more than I thought I would be. And barring a really bad game by him against Tampa and a really good one by Rex, I will have no problem if Shanny names him the starter. But it's very clear to me that a lot of folks in the Beck club will not be as understanding if Rex wins the job.

Rex also lost 4 fumbles last season, so he had more turnovers than touchdowns. In his career he has 53 turnovers in 35 games. There is no hiding from that.
Actually for regular season it's 54 turnovers over 41 games. 1.32 TOs per game. LINK Meanwhile Beck's had 8 turnovers in only 5 games. 1.6 TOs per game. LINK So by that standard Beck has a worse career than Grossman. There is no hiding from that.

Neither has been a turnover machine this off season.

Also, Rex is lucky to only have the one INT in the preseason. I can think of at least 2 other occasions where he threw a ball into a defenders hands this preseason, and both were in the red zone.
I know what you're saying, but playing the hypothetical "coulda woulda shoulda" game leads nowhere.
This I agree with 100%. You have to be impressed with what Beck has shown. The numbers don't lie, and he is completing 74% of his passes.
A lot of that was from the Colts game, where the defense forced him to dink and dunk. Up until the Ravens game, Beck didn't show much else. What happens during the regular season when defenses tighten up on him? Beck will have one good long pass, then another the corner can handle like a punt.

Archived