Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Character Rebuild: Any unfinished business?

JohnLockesGhost

Yeah, it really wasn't a big deal. A hot head is slamming your helmet down for a fifteen-yard penalty and giving your opponent a field goal to eliminate you from the playoffs.

A dumb head is running your head into a concrete wall in a game needed to make the playoffs. :(

Portis only gained "character" issues when his body deteriorated and he didn't want to admit it. Before that he was just a character.

Yeah, his character deterioration seemed more akin to the stages of grief. You see that often in people when their skills erode relatively slowly, especially among those involved in more "macho" things such as football.

D. Hall, our biggest playmaker on defense who has the full respect of his teammates?

Moss, who just shows up, fights hard through injuries, learns new offense after new offense after new offense, plays with bum qbs, and keeps himself in great shape, year after year, and wants to retire a Redskin?

And Cooley? COOLEY????

Bro you may as well just put London Fletcher on your list just to complete the circle of absurdity.

The answer to your question is no.

This is what happens when you let professional football men run your team. High character, blue collar guys always made up the bulk of Gibbs' teams; this is what the Redskins were before Snyder bought the team, and they are slowly but surely becoming that again. I am not privvy to all that goes on, both in and out of the Redskins locker room, so I can't say if there are any other guys who are low character on the team, and the word 'character' is highly subjective, especially when talking about NFL players.

I think you need a mix of guys to succeed in the NFL. You don't want a team full of choir boys, nor do you want a team full of guys who think they're superstars or gangsters turned football players. You just want to avoid team cancers. Don't know exactly what the definition of a team cancer is, but you usually know it when you've got one on your team. Some are obvious, like haynesworth. Others are more subtle; they show up to practice on time, work hard, perform well, but they can't get out of the way of their own ego an end up sucking the life out of your team.

Last thought: not sure why you said "remarkably few said so while they were still wearing the uniform". Few who? Players? Coaches? Fans?

A dumb head is running your head into a concrete wall in a game needed to make the playoffs. :(

Want to frown even more? That's the second-best quarterback we've had since 1991.

As for Cooley, I think that he talks too much, but that's about it. Portis ain't no Owens, and Cooley ain't no Portis.

Hall maybe full of himself but he is 100% a team player. Rewatch the Steelers game, who was the first person to run down and celebrate with Banks when he almost broke it for a TD on his KO? Hall. He loves his team and teammates. He is FAR from a character concern.

I think that this is a legitimate question. I also think the answer is no. Redskins fans are almost afraid to embrace what is unfolding before their very eyes. We've been used to mediocrity, disappointment and falso hope for so long until we're crazy from it. If the Skins lose to the Gnats on the 11th, then I'm sure there will be 10 - 20 threads about how we are the same team no matter how well the team actually plays. No, we're not world beaters but we're not the same team that we've seen over the past decade either. I think as long as the current transformation of this team continues, we will win the games we're supposed to win and lose the games we're supposed to lose. Luck (no pun intended) will no longer be a factor in Washington Redskins Football.

I'm just curious as to why several posters have identified Banks as having "Character issues?"

he was stabbed because he was making fun of someone's shirt at a night club a little too late a night.

i don't think he has character issues, but it definitely wasn't a smart thing for him to do and i'd doubt you'd find many other professional football players who have good character in the same situation.

to be fair the guy probably had no idea that the umpa lumpa mocking his outfit was an NFL player.

Hall would be the closest on your "list" but even then, he isn't even close to being a character problem on the team. Everyone in here has pretty much listed reasons why he isn't so I won't add anything else.

Cooley? The "me first" guy who over the years has sacraficed personl stats to stay in a be an extra blocker when the o-line sucked? The guy who takes the blame everytime he screws up?

Moss? The guy who decided to come back to Washington, but could have signed with a SB contender?

Sounds like the OP just wants to dump older, higher priced guys. You need some vets on the roster that have been through the bad and can still play.

• 3 months later...
Hall maybe full of himself but he is 100% a team player. Rewatch the Steelers game, who was the first person to run down and celebrate with Banks when he almost broke it for a TD on his KO? Hall. He loves his team and teammates. He is FAR from a character concern.

Bump.

Two things about D. Hall's game today.

1) On the first Gronkowski catch-and-run, where he broke multiple tackles and ran down the sideline, Hall was walking past the play instead of rallying to the tackle.

2) His display, throwing the flag, after a holding call is the quistessential example of egoism.

The first is an example of how Hall, instead of being a veteran leader, who takes his "captain" title seriously, is a jaded slacker.

The second is just inexcusable.

He'll have the occasional good play and good game, but I want consistent, driven players, who don't sacrifice the team to satisfy some selfish urge. I've had enough of him.

Bump.

Two things about D. Hall's game today.

1) On the first Gronkowski catch-and-run, where he broke multiple tackles and ran down the sideline, Hall was walking past the play instead of rallying to the tackle.

2) His display, throwing the flag, after a holding call is the quistessential example of egoism.

The first is an example of how Hall, instead of being a veteran leader, who takes his "captain" title seriously, is a jaded slacker.

The second is just inexcusable.

He'll have the occasional good play and good game, but I want consistent, driven players, who don't sacrifice the team to satisfy some selfish urge. I've had enough of him.

Agreed. Time for Hall and Landry to take their games elsewhere.

I am surprised at the amoung to negative comments and posts on here, D Hall is a good player, he is IMHO our best dback, he gets frustrated and y'all wanna tar and feather him and ride him out on a rail, time to get patient. Quite simply the Offence is going to be the aim of next years draft, I like the Defence we have, no need to make replacements cos guys lose their cool

I am surprised at the amoung to negative comments and posts on here, D Hall is a good player, he is IMHO our best dback, he gets frustrated and y'all wanna tar and feather him and ride him out on a rail, time to get patient. Quite simply the Offence is going to be the aim of next years draft, I like the Defence we have, no need to make replacements cos guys lose their cool

Enough with the apologism.

a) He's not our best DB. Josh Wilson has outplayed him at corner.

B) Championship teams don't have primadonnas like Hall.

Now we have to throw out the names of Williams and Davis as part of the character discussion. I think we have too much invested in Williams to part ways with him after only two years.

But Davis is another matter. I'm not sure what his contract status is, but it seems he should be coming close to the end of his rookie contract. I'd consider parting ways with him.

Agreed about Hall. Remember when Portis took a dive instead of finishing off that long run? I suspect that Shanahan started looking for his replacement while he was still sliding. Now lets imagine Shanahan watching the film of Hall letting Gronk run past him, over and over. See the bulging veins? The red ears?

DBs and WRs I think get a bum wrap when it comes to character issues, any decent DB is going to be confident in his game, and WR who is worth anything has the attitude of "I want the ball and I am going to get it and make sure I do because im the best ever". Hall I think is one of our better character guys we have, probably not the absolute best player though, I think he is misunderstood because I think he has a passion for the game, he NEEDS to win. The first people I see to run over to help congratulate and celebrate a touchdown with his teammate is DeAngelo, after giving up a play you can see he is visibly frustrated with himself and wants to get better. He talks trash a lot which can be a problem, but I think it does not stem from him being a character concern, I think he is just confident and passionate about the game and wants to win.

Say what you want about Hall for his game, but I think he wants to win and really loves this team. Some posistions need that selfishness and ego, because it factors into the game, you want a WR that is mad that he didn't get the ball, so he will use that as motivation to get the ball the next play at all cost.

I object to the premise of the original poster's character characterization. Maybe I simply don't get enough information out west to take part in the conversation. It has bothered me that so many people of the Redskin family quickly throw players under the bus when age and injuries reduce there productivity. Clinton Portis on the field gave everything he had and off the field brought humor and fun to his interviews (I acknowledge that one time he went down early). Other players seemed to enjoy and take part in the interviews that I looked forward to. Chris Cooley, another player with personality and a sense of humor, has also given everything on the field. Santana likewise, gives it everything, he is all about business, and is a straight shooter in the interviews.

Since I don't pal around with the players, the only way for me to make judgements on character is performance on the field, interviews, and staying out of trouble off the field. Big fat Al, didn't perform on the field, got in trouble both on the field and off. He was a "character" issue.

The rebuild seems to be more of a youth movement where character is a part of the evaluation, however, we do have a couple of suspensions that appear to be individuals before team. I like them both, am not passing judgement, but some might bring it up as a "character" concern. Bottom line, I question your basis to make a judgement of our players unless you know and work with them. Portis, Cooley, and Santana should not have even been mentioned. That's just me...

Archived