Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Character Rebuild: Any unfinished business?

JohnLockesGhost

So are there any other entitled, underperforming, high-cost players who are more interested in satisfying their ego than the team's needs that the organization needs to part ways with?

It's a bit of a tricky question to answer, because while most people would agree that the characters of Portis and Haynesworth were distractions in retrospect, remarkably few said so while they were still wearing the uniform.

So while hindsight is 20/20, views of the present can be myopic. Also it's difficult to hold two contradictory positions at once: a) I think John Doe is an entitled primadonna but B) I want him to kick the Giants' butt come September 11.

So it's with a sense of trepidation that I ask: Is the character rebuilding of this team complete? If not, who needs to be sent packing for it to be completed?

The first name that pops into my head is D. Hall. The second is (I know I'll get flak for this) Chris Cooley. Santana Moss has raised flags with me in the past, but I reserve judgement because it really seems like he has his head on straight with Shanahan in charge.

What say you?

Great question!! I was talking with my daughters last night about the Redskins character transformation, and how they may be a better "team" for it. I don't think you have to rid yourselves of every distracting personality to have a team. But that personality style needs to be the minority.

Just curious, why do you say Hall is a character problem? He's not a distraction off the field (neither is Cooley or Moss, for that matter) and doesn't cause problems in the locker room. He gets a little excited during the game, but that's exactly what I want from my players. They get riled up during the time they should be riled up. Hall doesn't act "entitled" nor is he a primadonna.

Just curious, why do you say Hall is a character problem? He's not a distraction off the field (neither is Cooley or Moss, for that matter) and doesn't cause problems in the locker room. He gets a little excited during the game, but that's exactly what I want from my players. They get riled up during the time they should be riled up. Hall doesn't act "entitled" nor is he a primadonna.

I think he just likes conservative personalities. Not out there personalities.

But, thats why I think he is confused by the term "character".

So do you think Hall's reputation coming out of Atlanta is undeserved? Started a fight on the field there. Just Thursday, he lingered on the field and got an off-side penalty after the Evans TD. He's definitely a hot-head and has in the past put himself above the team.

---------- Post added August-27th-2011 at 01:22 PM ----------

I think he just likes conservative personalities. Not out there personalities.

But, thats why I think he is confused by the term "character".

Should we define "character"? A character player is one who listens, obeys, studies, is driven, and perhaps most importantly, doesn't place his "personality" above the team. Personality is great, unless you think yours is bigger than the team.

So do you think Hall's reputation coming out of Atlanta is undeserved? Started a fight on the field there. Just Thursday, he lingered on the field and got an off-side penalty after the Evans TD. He's definitely a hot-head and has in the past put himself above the team.

Have you missed the past two and a half years? What about his play in Washington got him on your **** list? Because all I've seen from him is a guy who changed his image from someone who won't tackle in Atlanta to in Washington, a complete corner who makes plays. He has his flaws, sure, but nothing to warrant him being labelled having a "character" problem.

Going by your definition, he fits all of the criteria. He listens to the coaches, does what he's told, is driven to succeed, and he doesn't place his personality above the team. The biggest problem last year was after the Houston game, where he said he wanted to be matched up with the other team's best receiver. Which is what I would expect a #1 corner to say.

Should we define "character"? A character player is one who listens, obeys, studies, is driven, and perhaps most importantly, doesn't place his "personality" above the team. Personality is great, unless you think yours is bigger than the team.

Please show me where (in there Redskins time) Cooley, Moss, and Hall have not followed what you stated here?

i believe it is complete... what you dont want on your roster is know it all, ****y vets that dont listen to the coach or have problems elsewhere. dhall is borderline, but i think his "issues" are just tenacity and aggression, which isnt really a problem. i dont have a problem with tana or cooley.

banks is a bit of a character concern. we have enough high character guys around to squash that type of thinking. as long as he plays well and matures, i dont see it as an issue.

It's times like these when I'm so glad LA56 is no longer around. Ya, I know he's been gone for years, but he was the crown diva of the Snyderatto era, who handed the torch to Portis and then Haynesworth. Thank God that era is finally over. D. Hall's minor showboating is a picknick compared to the other entitleists this team has known in the internet age.

Whenever I hear Lavar talking about team leadership and what a 'charactor' guy should be, I just chuckle to myself that he's no longer a part of this team.

In other circumstances being a hot head would be an issue, but not here.

Shannahan wants guys who buy into the system, practice and prepare like professionals, and don't have off-the-field issues. As far as I'm concerned D Hall fits all that and in fact I think his attitude is a positive, he holds everyone and himself to a higher standard and he's fearless. Our defense needs that attitude and the even-keeled london fletcher provides the perfect counterbalance to DH's fire.

i believe it is complete... what you dont want on your roster is know it all, ****y vets that dont listen to the coach or have problems elsewhere. dhall is borderline, but i think his "issues" are just tenacity and aggression, which isnt really a problem. i dont have a problem with tana or cooley.

banks is a bit of a character concern. we have enough high character guys around to squash that type of thinking. as long as he plays well and matures, i dont see it as an issue.

I hear you on Banks. Thanks for contributing.

My opinions on any "questionable character" players we may have left was NOT supposed to be the topic for discussion. That's just my opinion. Everybody's got one proverbially speaking.

The question is whether or not the "character rebuild" is complete.

I'm definitely open to the idea that we've jettisoned enough bad apples that any that happen to remain won't spoil the bunch. We've reached a critical mass of hardworking, hungry, character players and the culture they create will be self-sustaining. I'm skeptical, but not opposed in principle to the argument.

his offside after the touchdown was to force the officials to look at the tape and possibly make the head judge to look at it on replay

I think everyone knows that. But if Wilson had been beat would he have behaved the same way, or was it just because HE had been beat? Did he hang around on the field and incur a penalty on the team so HE could be vindicated?

Once again, the thread shouldn't be about my opinions on Hall, but the larger rebuilding.

To answer the thread title question, no.

All the 'prima donna's', 'malcontents', 'distractions', call them what you will; have been systematically removed from this roster in a little over 18 months of this regime to Allen and Shanahan's great credit. Your either with us and TOTALLY buy into what we're doing, or your gone. NO exceptions.

Character issue's are no longer a factor in DC.

Hail.

McNabb gone- check

Haynesworth gone - check

LOS gone - check.

Yep pretty much done. Let's not get consumed in this 'oddball' character stuff. Riggo was a 'character'. Manley was a 'character'. However not to the point of being a locker room distraction. Everyone is an individual but as long as they play as a team I don't see a problem. Moss, Cooley and Hall fit into the Riggo/Manley type rather than the Haynesworth/LOS type.

It's like this; if D-Hall were half the distraction people make him out to be sometimes, he'd be gone. Fact is, his teammates voted him captain, his coaches praise him. Is he a showboat, yes? Do everyone like showboats? No. But he's the first guy to congratulate his teammates when they make a play, and has taken a leadership role on the team.

We've offloaded every other team distraction we've had. D-Hall's biggest problem thus far has been getting mouthy with the other team sometimes (funny how back in the day, trash talking and shove your opponent was almost a necessity, and now it's a problem), and when he got pissed that Phillip Buchanon blew his coverage on Andre Johnson. Him and Has had it out, Mike talked to him, and D-Hall hasn't said a word since.

We got rid of Devin Thomas, Albert Haynesworth, James Davis (lol), Donovan McNabb, and anyone else who thought they were above the team. There are times when I'm worried about Banks, but hopefully he has enough good people around him to keep him in check.

Other than that, I think, at last, we might be good.

The difference between guys like Portis and Haynesworth and Cooley/Moss/Hall is that our current guys know when to say the right things and fall in line. The biggest "hiccup" Hall has had is when he came out last year and said he wants to cover the other teams' #1's. These guys are team players through and through. They've had some bumps under different coaching staffs, but for Cooley and Moss, they've been in a complete mess of an organization for a long time.

Forget what happened two years ago, they've all been great under Shanahan. That's all that matters.

As for the "character rebuild", let's not forget all those team captains we drafted. That's helping, too.

I don't see a problem with D. Hall or Cooley at all. Colorful characters, but far from malcontents or distractions. Both work hard by all accounts.

I mentioned before that the Redskins drafted 4 or 5 college team captains, and I contend that was no coincidence, but part of a systematic effort to change the culture of the locker room. To me there's a good mix of high character youth and veterans on the roster now. Ultimately talent is key, but having a positive culture dedicated first to winning and excellence instead of getting paid is important too.

Ehhhh....

Hall - so he is a bad apple for what he did back in Atlanta days? LOL!!!! Have you even watched ANY of his interviews this year or last? He admitted he was immature in Atlanta. He admitted being cut by 49ers truly woke him up.

Cooley - yeah, mr ME ME ME. Please show me a link OR ANY example where he is a bad apple.

Moss - SInce you're wrong with the first 2, I don't need to go with Moss.

Went to TC 2 weeks ago with my daughter. After practice, HALL, MOSS, and Landry walked over and signed for EVERYONE !!!! Yeah, those bad apples. All they care is themselves, not the fans. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

You, OP, won the idiot post of the day. Congrats !!!

All those bad apples are gone already. And if you can't see that on the field, then you need a new TV or see an eye doctor.

---------- Post added August-27th-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

Not quite sure how staying on the field because he legitimately thought that a play was called incorrectly makes him a hot head. Do you know what the penalty was? The Baltimore kicker put it seven yards out of the endzone on the kickoff instead of two.

It was a touchdown pass to Evans. Hall thought he didn't fully have the ball control in bound and tried to delayed the game so upstair can review the play but they didn't. That and the run into the kicker were never reviewed for some reason.

It was a touchdown pass to Evans. Hall thought he didn't fully have the ball control in bound and tried to delayed the game so upstair can review the play but they didn't. That and the run into the kicker were never reviewed for some reason.

Yeah, it really wasn't a big deal. A hot head is slamming your helmet down for a fifteen-yard penalty and giving your opponent a field goal to eliminate you from the playoffs.

Archived