Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins must really like Royster. That's why they're hiding him from the rest of the NFL

Burgold

The 4th preseason game is to look at the players on the bubble and to fine tune your first string offense and defense. Royster, if he's not injured, will be playing. If he makes the practice squad, and gets taken, then so be it. The team will keep 3 running backs if they're not also special team players. None of our 4 are, so expect one to go. Right now I'd say it's a tossup between Torrain, who had an injury plagued year last year, despite the successes, and the Penn State favorite Royster. As a veteran, I believe Torrain is ineligible for the practice squad. The only chance to keep all four, and keep one on standby if an injury occurs, is to put either Helu or Royster on the practice squad. Personally, I'd say put Royster on the practice squad, and see if Torrain's injury bug was just last year's fluke. If he gets injured again, IR him and bring back Royster as the third back. If Torrain can stay healthy, then we still have four for next year.

What this really shows me is that getting running backs in the first round of the draft appears to be a waste. There's a lot of talent at running back to be found outside the first round.

Just want to make a point here. Other than the 4th and 1 in the SB, Riggins didn't have explosiveness. Neither did Byner, George Rogers, Larry Brown, and most of the other Skins backs through the years. We have always been a grind it out team.

Guess you missed all those times Riggo outran defensive backs into the end zone.

---------- Post added August-27th-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

this is a good problem to have. I think we carry 4 RBs this year since we are only carrying 2 QBs and more than likely 1 FB.

I agree with this. Long season and they will all get some work. While Royster has a small chance of clearing waivers I think Paul would have no chance at all. I'm also good with keeping 6 wide receivers.

Whats up with redskins fans and trying to trade away any players if we have depth in a position?

Do you realize RB is a position they can get knocked out for the season with one carry?

This is the first time we have a good rb position full of young hungry runners.

Their is no way we should get rid of torrain or hightower. We have 2 good rbs under small contracts playing in a highlevel. Thats the dumbest idea to trade one of them now.

Depends what you can get for Torrain, but personally I'd rather just keep him. We don't have the hype to rip off teams like they've done to us in the past. For Torrain, I would guess something like a 4th or 5th would be the best we could get, and I don't think its worth it. Torrain is a solid starting RB when healthy, and if I were GM you'd have to give up a 3rd to get him, which probably won't happen.

I would jump at a 4th round pick for an injury prone rb.

Royster was very durable at Penn State, I would keep him and jettison Torrain, it is pretty obvious that Hightower and Helu work well in Shanny's system.

I agree 100%. These are my 3 choices at RB. Torrain played good when he was on the feild but that's the problem. He's never on the feild healthy. He can't help the team if he's always on the PUP with a injury. He's too fragile. I say he's the odd man out.

Royster was very good in the first game then disappeared from the lineup. Something surely must be up with that. I believe the posts that suggest the Redskins are trying to slip him on to the PS are on the right track. He showed too good just to cut outright. If they wanted to eventually trade him away, they would have featured him like in the first game to build value.

If they want to keep him but not on the 53 roster, they need to minimize his visibility to increase the odds of slipping past claims. It appears that Torin would make better sense as trade fodder since he has a track record from last season. It might not be high, 4-5 round, due to his MIA status, but it is higher than just cutting Royster and having someone pick him up for no compensation. My guess, when cut time comes, Torin will be traded for a draft choice and Royster will either be on the AR or PS - probably PS.

You missed the Star Wars reference.

Said in my best Homer J voice ..... DOH!

Sometimes GHH is slow and an embarrassment to all the other GHH's. *Hangs head.

I wouldn't of cared so much if it wasn't the original which was my total domain as a kid. Darn it.

What I should of said of course in response to L_k_b was "I think my Uncle knows him. He said he was dead"

I shall now go flog myself for my Star Wars dumbness.

Hail.

I still hope we keep TH39, RH26 and ER25. The only way, I think, that ATV should still be on the roster after cuts is if we keep 4 backs AND can't get a worthwhile trade for him.

I like Torrain, and he was good in the games he played in last year. The problem, as we all know, is keeping him on the field. He was injury-prone in DEN, he was hurt last season, he's been hurt this preseason.

I hope he plays VERY well vs TB. Get the hype up a bit and send him to the highest bidder. Don't really get the love some people have for him.

You guys can say what you want but he reminds me of a younger ES of the hated cowboys, yes he is a late round pick, but he knows how to grind it out, get the needed yards and then at the end of the day, his stat line is always more than likely to be above avg, and he can catch out the backfield. I can only assume that if the S'hans are as brilliant as ppl say then they know you cant risk or hopefully shouldnt risk letting this kid go, for another back that can't stay healty. If he was willing to let Portis go after cpl years in Denver then he should also hopefully know that younger is better than older and often injured.

my .02

I like Royster better than Torrain also. The guy is one of those lunch pail running backs. He will rarely break one loose, but he will just keep hammering away and at the end of the game he will have a 100 yards. Then you ask yourself, how the hell did he do that. To be perfectly honest, I like Royster better than Helu. I know Helu has that break away ability, but I don't know if he is one of those backs who can just carry the team on his back the whole game. I think Royster has that abilty.

So you think that Royster is better than Torrain (and possibly better than Helu) based on part of one pre season game? If we have THT, we dont really need our 2nd or 3rd RB to "carry the team on his back". And I dont think it is possible to know if he actually has the ability to do so. But we do know that RT is a bruiser that doesnt break the big ones but can hammer away.

Depends what you can get for Torrain, but personally I'd rather just keep him. We don't have the hype to rip off teams like they've done to us in the past. For Torrain, I would guess something like a 4th or 5th would be the best we could get, and I don't think its worth it. Torrain is a solid starting RB when healthy, and if I were GM you'd have to give up a 3rd to get him, which probably won't happen.

RBs in the NFL aren't worth that much, especially one that can't stay healthy. He might get consideration for a 6th or 7th but interest would be minimal.

You guys can say what you want but he reminds me of a younger ES of the hated cowboys

Looking at his play from behind a computer monitor, Royster did have that ES running style look to him, at least to me he did and obviously you saw the same thing. The thing about ES is that he was shorter and heavier coming into the league than Royster. Physically they are different but the thing that made ES was his vision and I think Royster has it too. Not elusive but they both seem able to use their vision to find that crease to daylight.

Kinda like Josey Wales used his vision.

Lone Watie: How did you know which one was goin' to shoot first?

Josey Wales: Well, that one in the center: he had a flap holster and he was in no itchin' hurry. And the one second from the left: he had scared eyes, he wasn't gonna do nothin'. But that one on the far left: he had crazy eyes. Figured him to make the first move.

Lone Watie: How 'bout the one on the right?

Josey Wales: Never paid him no mind; you were there.

Lone Watie: I could have missed.

I don't buy this theory, if some GM or coach thought Royster had some ability coming out, the Redskins "hiding" him isn't gonna make a difference. For all we know there could've been 3 teams ready to take him in the draft when we did. I'm sure they didn't just forget what they thought of him.

Archived