Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins must really like Royster. That's why they're hiding him from the rest of the NFL

Burgold

Sounds odd, but I think they were surprised by how well Royster did during the Steelers' game and so they wanted to shelve him. I think they want him on the practice squad, but they are fearful if they play him he will be stolen. At the moment, I believe that the rbs they want to make the squad are Hightower, Helu, and Torrain. However, Royster made a statement that he can be a player.

The only reason I can see for not playing him in the fourth quarter (unless there's an injury I'm unaware of) or much at all since that first game is that they don't want other GM's getting tape on him.

It's interesting because in the first preseason game he was the first back off the bench and since then I don't really remember seeing him.

You just ruined the whole plan.

I would be comfortable going in to the season with Hightower, Royster, and Helu. Trade Torrain to a RB hungry team....assuming he has some value.

Depends what you can get for Torrain, but personally I'd rather just keep him. We don't have the hype to rip off teams like they've done to us in the past. For Torrain, I would guess something like a 4th or 5th would be the best we could get, and I don't think its worth it. Torrain is a solid starting RB when healthy, and if I were GM you'd have to give up a 3rd to get him, which probably won't happen.

Depends what you can get for Torrain, but personally I'd rather just keep him. We don't have the hype to rip off teams like they've done to us in the past. For Torrain, I would guess something like a 4th or 5th would be the best we could get, and I don't think its worth it. Torrain is a solid starting RB when healthy, and if I were GM you'd have to give up a 3rd to get him, which probably won't happen.

I'd be fine with the 4th. And he may be a solid starting running back but I don't think we need him. Having those extra later round picks allows you some flexibility and ability to move around in the earlier rounds

I have the opposite take. I think Royster got a lot of work in the 1st game b/c they saw what they needed from Hightower, and Helu was going to be featured in the more important games 2 & 3. Royster is barely NFL quality depth. Would be slightly shocked to see him make the roster, and def don't want to see him make it at the expense of another position player like an Austin.

They haven't played Niles Paul much either even though I keep reading he's shining in practice. Chris Russell though tweeted last night "no way Paul would make it through waivers" meaning he expects some team to grab him if they try to move him to the practice squad. I recall making that point on another thread little while ago, and I was ridiculed for that thought. But yeah I'd presume they likewise are trying to keep Royster below the radar.

I have the opposite take. I think Royster got a lot of work in the 1st game b/c they saw what they needed from Hightower, and Helu was going to be featured in the more important games 2 & 3. Royster is barely NFL quality depth. Would be slightly shocked to see him make the roster, and def don't want to see him make it at the expense of another position player like an Austin.

I'm with you, buddy. Royster is thoroughly unimpressive. He's the epitome of a dime a dozen. Torain is a gifted back and I think people are just too easliy swayed since Torain has been out of sight all preseason. Let that man run behind our line this year and they'll soon be singing a different tune. The notion that we're trying to hid Royster is ridiculous.You guys realize that teams can go back and watch the first preseason game just like they can watch the other 3, right?

Thread reminds me of another thread a couple of years ago about the Redskins losing the season opener to Minnesota on purpose just so the league doesn't catch on how good they really are. Think the Redskins went 6-10 that year? Not sure but that was a ridiculous thought.

Royster was very durable at Penn State, I would keep him and jettison Torrain, it is pretty obvious that Hightower and Helu work well in Shanny's system.

I like Royster better than Torrain also. The guy is one of those lunch pail running backs. He will rarely break one loose, but he will just keep hammering away and at the end of the game he will have a 100 yards. Then you ask yourself, how the hell did he do that. To be perfectly honest, I like Royster better than Helu. I know Helu has that break away ability, but I don't know if he is one of those backs who can just carry the team on his back the whole game. I think Royster has that abilty.

I would look for Royster on the practice squad, I think Hightower, Torain, and Helu make a good combination I just don't see Royster have any explosiveness.

Just want to make a point here. Other than the 4th and 1 in the SB, Riggins didn't have explosiveness. Neither did Byner, George Rogers, Larry Brown, and most of the other Skins backs through the years. We have always been a grind it out team.

Royster will play a bunch this upcoming weekend. Everyone knows Shanny gives running backs full games to get in a complete rhythm and really feel out what it's like to play all four quarters (or a little less). Helu has had his shot, and next week you won't see him as much. Royster will get the bulk of the carries, as expected, and we'll go from there. I do agree that if you could take Austin or Royster the obvious choice is Austin, hands down, every time

Archived