Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.COM News: Panthers owner likes Newton to be without tattoos, earrings

hawgboy

"Cam Newton doesn't have any tattoos on his body and his ears are unpierced. In an American sports landscape filled with players with extensive ink and diamond studs, he can be viewed as an exception.

Newton's clean-cut look pleases Jerry Richardson. When the Panthers owner hosted Newton at his home prior to the NFL draft, he made a point to ask the young quarterback if he had any tattoos or piercings."

Read More @ Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821b6d2a/article/panthers-owner-likes-newton-to-be-without-tattoos-earrings?module=HP11_cp

Personally I think this is a little unfair to expect of Newton unless Richardson puts it in as a clause in Newton's contract as a bonus. It's a tattooed league including several other Panther players such as Shockey and Steve Smith. If Richardson wants to go all Steinbrenner and make it policy for every future player, he may have a problem collecting talent.

This is going to cause all sorts of undue controversy. The reality is, he's Newton's employer. And in many occupations, you can't even get a job with certain tats or piercings.

Maybe in Richardson's mind, Franchise QB is one of those occupations.

That's a good point and that's why I feel if Richardson has that expectation then it should be addressed as an incentive clause.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. The reality is that as the franchise QB, you represent the organization more so than any other player. Richardson is paying Newton quite a bit of money to be that representative, and he wants Newton to convey a good image. As Conn said, most respectable work places have the same policy.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. The reality is that as the franchise QB, you represent the organization more so than any other player. Richardson is paying Newton quite a bit of money to be that representative, and he wants Newton to convey a good image. As Conn said, most respectable work places have the same policy.

That's bs you can't tell no one how to live no matter how much you pay them, its his choice what he does, if people don't like someone's tattoos then they can f'off and not look at them. Its a shame he is like that and that's discrimination, some would say that's sueing potential.

I wonder if this was a contract obligation.

That's bs you can't tell no one how to live no matter how much you pay them, its his choice what he does, if people don't like someone's tattoos then they can f'off and not look at them. Its a shame he is like that and that's discrimination, some would say that's sueing potential.

I'm guessing, if you have tattoos, that you don't have much experience on the job market for skilled labor.

I'm not a fan of tattoos and piercings either. What's the problem? Cam doesn't have any so this is a compliment... so what is the problem.

I see no problem with this either. However, it is still weird as **** to ask someone if they have tattoos or earings while having them over for dinner. That is just. . . . weird.

I'm guessing, if you have tattoos, that you don't have much experience on the job market for skilled labor.

Not necessarily. Maybe tattoos that are visible regardless of clothing. But typically as long as you can cover them it's not much of an issue for many companies. I know a number of people who have quite a bit of tattoos but work in corporate offices.

Not necessarily. Maybe tattoos that are visible regardless of clothing. But typically as long as you can cover them it's not much of an issue for many companies. I know a number of people who have quite a bit of tattoos but work in corporate offices.

Absolutely. I was more referring to visible, obvious tats.

This is true if wearing standard business clothes covers up the tats and you don't have a ton of strange piercings it won't impact your job opportunities much if at all. Should be noted the NFL isn't a corporate office. Half the guys can't seem to speak clearly for instance.

I hate to say it, and I know someone is going to jump on me for even bringing it up, but I wonder if Jerry Richardson asked the same question to Jimmy Clausen or any of his other Franchise QBs.

This would be the only reason I have issue with Richardson asking the question(s). If Clausen was subjected to the same interview, then no big deal.

I hate to say it, and I know someone is going to jump on me for even bringing it up, but I wonder if Jerry Richardson asked the same question to Jimmy Clausen or any of his other Franchise QBs.

There was a Shockey reference in the article.

Edit: Whoops, it was in ESPN's article. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6894818/carolina-panthers-jerry-richardson-cam-newton-no-tats-piercings

I disagree, if I get a tattoo of a penis on my forehead I'm pretty sure I'll be excluded from most jobs. Employers should be allowed to have a say in physical appearance if the work is in the public eye.

Archived