Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could decide tonights starting QB who would you pick?

addicted

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Simple question here folks

If you could decide tonights starting QB who would you pick and why?

I'll start:

Going along with my belief that we should open up the offense more tonight then just a regular preseason offense since we are up against a great Defense my choice for tonights starter would be Rex Grossman. I believe based on the two games already played that Rex gives us the better chance of winning because of his pocket awareness and his expirence. He also is better at the long ball then John Beck and I believe a conservative approach to the offense tonight will likely mean many 3 and outs for the starting unit and we need as many real reps as possible.

I think it's going to be Rex based on the thread I just started with LL56's Twitter post.

Not a question of "Who do you think it will be"

I want to know "Who do you pick as tonights starting QB"

To me there is a big difference. Lets play a game of Arm Chair GM for a moment

I want to see how Beck handles a great defense like the Ravens. We know how Rex can play against a premier defense, he showed that vs. Pittsburgh (even though they were missing Troy and Harrison), but everyone else started. If Beck performs well and shows he can lead the offense against the Ravens defense then I believe he's the starter for week 1 vs. the Giants.

I want to see what Beck can do against the Ravens. We have years of tape on Rex. We know what we're going to get from him. If Mike and Kyle both feel like Beck is our best option for this year, we've got to see him more against first teams with our first team.

Hopefully we will be able to get a franchise QB this year in the draft, but until then we need to see if Beck is the best QB on the roster.

I'd pick Beck. I do like the fact that Grossman knows the playbook better than Beck but I don't like his gunslinger mentality. He gotta away with that with the Bears because that D was one of the best ones that year. Our offense isn't good enough yet to compensate a possible pick Rex would throw.

:helmet:

Grossman. Followed by Beck for Game 4.

Split their starts in pre-season, alternating starts.

Name the regular season starter after the pre-season.

Agree. I think we're gonna see Beck though start the game. I think the coaches want to see what he can do against the bird's defense. If it were me though, I have a better feeling about Grossman, but what do I know?

I want to see how Beck handles a great defense like the Ravens. We know how Rex can play against a premier defense, he showed that vs. Pittsburgh (even though they were missing Troy and Harrison), but everyone else started. If Beck performs well and shows he can lead the offense against the Ravens defense then I believe he's the starter for week 1 vs. the Giants.

I agree Bushwack:) I want to see what Beck can do against the ratbirds starting D. Can he effectively move the offense up and down the field? I need to see the smart qb I saw last week in Indy.

All things being equal, I'm going with the new face. Grossman was good against the Steelers in Week 1, there's no denying that...but I watched John Beck last week and saw a guy that just gets it. The thing about Grossman - the thing that has always been true about Grossman - is that his games have a high ceiling, but a low floor. He can make some great plays on one drive and come back on the very next drive and make a "WTF"-inducing mistake with the football. He gives, yes, but not quite enough to offset how much he seems to take away. Not only do interceptions obviously cost you possession of the football, but they tend to give the opposing team better field position and better momentum than a simple 3rd-down stop would.

There are a few contingents in the fanbase that I've seen in my 20 minutes of being back on this site again that seem to have John Beck marked as an ultra-conservative game manager that's afraid to throw the ball downfield - based on a half-game of action, no less. But they also seem to forget that the Tampa 2 defense - which the Colts have run since the Dungy days - is a zone-type defense specifically designed to take big plays. Beck simply took what the defense was giving him and ended up with 4 scoring drives and 82% accuracy. There always comes a time when explosive plays are needed/wanted. I'm not discounting that. I can think of probably four teams in the playoffs last year that were good teams in all other areas but were undone by their inability to get the ball downfield. I think, given the opportunity, Beck could make those plays. But defenses have a hard time covering the short (behind the line - 7 yards), mid-range (8-16), and deep (17+) thirds of the field at the same time. Beck's much more likely, if that deep or mid-range throw isn't there, to come back short immediately and stay ahead of the down and distance (avoiding those 2nd/10, 3rd/8+ situations where bad things tend to happen to QBs and offenses) instead of forcing a pass that isn't there.

So, all that said, Beck would probably be my guy up until we know for sure that he can't or won't take a shot downfield. After a half, we don't know that.

Archived