Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[WTOP]PSA: ATTENTION FedEx Field Goers. Speed Camera Enforcement on 495 Starting Tuesday

tshile

I'm sure anyone who is in the NOVA/DC/MD area and listens to the news has probably heard this by now, if not then here's a heads up for you too!

This is more targeted at the people outside the are who travel to Fedex Field one or more times a year.

Maryland has announced that starting Tuesday they will be rolling out, and using, speed cameras on their portion of 495. Tickets will start being mailed to violators next week.

The news report on WTOP said the cameras will issue tickets for those going more than 12MPH over the speed limit.

Please note, the speed limit on 495 changes frequently as you go in and out of work zones, and other zones.

http://wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2507905

The article has the time frame for certain areas. Most importantly, PG County is scheduled for November. This is where Fed Ex field is, so when this happens you cannot possibly get to the stadium (using 495) without hitting at least some cameras.

As always, drive safe. But now you need to drive slow(er) too :)

Let me tell you about my experience on the 14th ST bridge back in May. Now no one goes 45 MPH on that part of 295, but I was apparently caught on camera that day. I never received a ticket in the mail. Last month, I received a $250.00 ticket for speeding 11MPH over, they said I never paid the original $125.00 ticket, so now my fine has been doubled. This is a total scam, so be careful , unless you are a Cowgirl fan

Let me tell you about my experience on the 14th ST bridge back in May. Now no one goes 45 MPH on that part of 295, but I was apparently caught on camera that day. I never received a ticket in the mail. Last month, I received a $250.00 ticket for speeding 11MPH over, they said I never paid the original $125.00 ticket, so now my fine has been doubled. This is a total scam, so be careful , unless you are a Cowgirl fan

oh crap... i took that way home from the steelers game... i hope i was going 45. guess i'll find out in a few months

---------- Post added August-22nd-2011 at 09:57 PM ----------

Thanks for the heads up! You just saved me from getting a ticket.

you're quite welcome.

as soon as it came on the radio i was like 'this needs to go on the messageboard...' :)

Hahaha! I love da last part of it.

Um, Whats the point? Going to games I rarely go over 20 MPH. It may have to do to the fact that I have a platinum spot and can show up 5 mins before the game.

Wow... Who's better than you? Did Daddy buy you that parking pass?

What is worse than getting a ticket? Try being a Police Officer and getting one in your marked cruiser. Since the system is automated and staffed by civilians, there is no discretion or "Looking out for each other" that happens from time to time. So, not only do we have to pay the fine (no matter if we are going to a call...unless it is an emergency of course), we are charged administratively and get fined again.

Right now, it seems they are targeting the fast lane, so if the beltway is running slow because a cop is in the middle lane going the speed limit, it is most likely me. :D

I avoid the beltway like the plague when there is a home game; I have to get to the station via the back roads a few hours early.

And no, I do NOT work the games at FedEx. We aren't allowed to watch the game. Being a fan, it is very difficult to keep your eyes on the crowd during a big play or sitting out on Brightseat Rd directing traffic and hearing the roar of the crowd.

This is a good thing, we need people to slow down and drive like they have sense.

Folks on the beltway regularly go 85+ mph. I was a CDL driver and this area has the WORST drivers in the country - hands down.

---------- Post added August-23rd-2011 at 04:31 AM ----------

What is worse than getting a ticket? Try being a Police Officer and getting one in your marked cruiser. Since the system is automated and staffed by civilians, there is no discretion or "Looking out for each other" that happens from time to time. So, not only do we have to pay the fine (no matter if we are going to a call...unless it is an emergency of course), we are charged administratively and get fined again.

Right now, it seems they are targeting the fast lane, so if the beltway is running slow because a cop is in the middle lane going the speed limit, it is most likely me. :D

I avoid the beltway like the plague when there is a home game; I have to get to the station via the back roads a few hours early.

And no, I do NOT work the games at FedEx. We aren't allowed to watch the game. Being a fan, it is very difficult to keep your eyes on the crowd during a big play or sitting out on Brightseat Rd directing traffic and hearing the roar of the crowd.

I was wondering why lately, in some areas, I have seen cops going the speed limit! LOL! That must suck! I always have gone no more than 5 over. I drive a normal car and rarely get pulled over. I hate getting pulled over.

I'm with the Poly. I once got caught on 495 going 75 MPH and couldn't for the life of me get out of the left lane 'cause everyone was coming up on me so quickly and passing to my right, so I was stuck. I neither had the desire to go faster, as 80 is reckless, nor the means as I was in an Aerostar going uphill.

I'm with the Poly. I once got caught on 495 going 75 MPH and couldn't for the life of me get out of the left lane 'cause everyone was coming up on me so quickly and passing to my right, so I was stuck. I neither had the desire to go faster, as 80 is reckless, nor the means as I was in an Aerostar going uphill.

That left lane is a real **** you can go 90 and you would still get tailgated.

I don't know whether this is the same camera but me too.

There's an unmanned car on the right shoulder with blackened windows that's loaded with ticketing equipment. i.e. auto lights, camera's, etc. It's just as you're coming to the end of the SE Freeway (northbound only) headed to cross over to 295 at PA ave.

Total scam.

I got one on 16th Street a few months back going 42 in a 35....it was 6:30 pm....and they said that the fine had to be doubled ($250.00 total) since I was in a school zone. Are you kidding me? A school zone at 6:30 at night? Freaking DC.

Thanks for the heads up tshile!

Anyone catch the NPR segment a couple of weeks ago about red light cameras in LA? Turns out the red light tickets were basically "voluntary." Can you imagine how many people paid the fines . . . and then listened to that segment screaming?

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/03/138962399/l-a-does-away-with-red-light-camera-program

"If people want to pay, God bless them, let 'em pay. But if you don't pay, there's no consequence," says City Council member Dennis Zine, a former Los Angeles Police Department officer. Zine says he always thought the fine was excessive.

"We're not telling you to disobey the law, but in reality, if people do not pay that citation of $400 plus, almost $500, there's no issue of a warrant for your arrest; it doesn't impact your driver's license, your insurance, nothing," Zine says. "The courts decide [to] send a letter out through a collection agency; if you don't pay it, nothing happens."

I don't see how legally they can wait past thirty days to send out a ticket, seems like you would have time limits there. I know if I got pulled over and got a ticket I would then change how I was driving. I could see how with the camera's you could end up with a backlog of two to three tickets before you were aware.

Anyone catch the NPR segment a couple of weeks ago about red light cameras in LA? Turns out the red light tickets were basically "voluntary." Can you imagine how many people paid the fines . . . and then listened to that segment screaming?

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/03/138962399/l-a-does-away-with-red-light-camera-program

wait..

so a member of the city council is advising citizens that, even though they will send the owed amount through a collection agency, that if they don't pay it 'nothing will happen'?

does he realize that the collection agency has the option of putting this on your credit report?...

wait..

so a member of the city council is advising citizens that, even though they will send the owed amount through a collection agency, that if they don't pay it 'nothing will happen'?

does he realize that the collection agency has the option of putting this on your credit report?...

Idiot/ Not you , him.

Archived