Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex Grossman, 2006, Chicago Bears: What Really Happened

Atlanta Skins Fan

Grossman threw 2 INTs and had a QB rating of 68.3 in that Superbowl that hes getting credit for taking them to, despite the fact that the main reason they even made it to the SB was because of that amazing defense the Bears had. If Chicago had even a DECENT game manager QB, they would have probably beaten the Colts seeing as how every game the Bears lost, were games where Grossman had 2 or more Turnovers. Grossman that year also had multiple games under a 25 QB rating, which is AWFUL.

Rex Grossman, 2006, Chicago Bears: What Really Happened

50514_2234905039_2329_n.jpg

I find it curious that Grossman only gets credit for the mistakes in 2006 as a Bear, not the successes. If this view had legs, then we'd see QBs Kyle Orton, Brian Griese or Jay Cutler dominate as Chicago QBs in other years, when the Bears were not burdened by Grossman as starter. How did that work out?

• 2005 Bears / Kyle Orton starter: 10-5. 59.7 QB rating.
  • 2006 Bears / Rex Grossman starter: 13-3. Beat Seahawks (Hasselbeck) and Saints (Brees) in playoffs. Lose Super Bowl to Colts (Manning).
  • 2007 Bears / Brian Griese starter: 3-3, 75.6 QB rating.
  • 2007 Bears / Kyle Orton starter: 2-1. 73.9 QB rating.
  • 2008 Bears / Kyle Orton starter: 9-6. 79.6 QB rating.
  • 2009 Bears / Jay Cutler starter: 7-9. 76.8 QB rating.
  • 2010 Bears / Jay Cutler starter: 11-5. Beat Seahawks (Hasselbeck), lose to Packers (Rodgers) in playoffs. QB rating against Packers: 31.8.

Now, how did these same QBs perform elsewhere?

• Kyle Orton, Broncos, 2009: 86.8 QB rating.
  • Kyle Orton, Broncos, 2010: 87.5 QB rating. Leading receiver: Brandon ****ing Lloyd (77 receptions, 1448 yards, 11 TDs, 18.8 average)
  • Brian Griese, Broncos (Shanahan), 2000: 102.9 QB rating, Pro Bowl
  • Brian Griese, Broncos (Shanahan), 2002: 85.6 QB rating
  • Brian Griese, Bucs, 2004: 97.5 QB rating
  • Jay Cutler, Broncos (Shanahan), 2006: 88.5 QB rating
  • Jay Cutler, Broncos (Shanahan), 2007: 88.1 QB rating
  • Jay Cutler, Broncos (Shanahan), 2008: 86.0 QB rating (Pro Bowl)

All these QBs were viewed by Bears fans at the time as the answer to their "Grossman problem." The Bears actually traded Orton, plus TWO first-round picks, plus a third-round pick, for Cutler, who was coming off a Pro Bowl. I recall many moist panties for Cutler, here at ES, around that time. (I was not among those folks.)

This past offseason, a fair number of people argued that the Redskins should trade for Orton.

Somehow, neither Cutler nor Orton nor Griese could get it done in Chicago, but only Grossman emerges as damaged goods. "We know who Grossman is." Do we? I always thought Redskins fans were smarter about QBs than Bears fans. Chicago is where good QBs go to die, and the fans are part of the problem.

Maybe, just maybe, Grossman deserves some of the positive credit for the Bears success in 2006, in addition to blame for mistakes. For example, do you know that defenses love to play from a lead?

2006 Game Log

• Game 1: Bears 26, Packers (Favre) 0. Grossman takes 16-0 halftime lead, with 107.3 halftime QB rating. Favre throws no INTs in the first half, but throws 2 in second half trying to come from behind. Behold, the vaunted Bears defense! Grossman finishes with 98.6 QB rating, meaning this isn't even one of this best 7 games statistically for 2006.
  • Game 2: Bears 34, Lions (Kitna) 7. Grossman takes 24-0 halftime lead, with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and 151.1 first-half QB rating. Kitna finishes with 97.9 QBR, not too shabby.
  • Game 3: Bears 19, Vikings (Brad Johnson) 16. Grossman struggles a bit, but so does the Bears defense, without the luxury of a big lead. Brad Johnson finishes with 84.6 QBR. Bears are down 6-3 at half, 13-9 early in the 4th, 16-12 with 7:32 to play. Here's the money shot: Q4 (1:58), 2nd and 10, Vikings 24. "R.Grossman pass deep middle to R.Davis for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN." Game manager wins, my ass.
  • Game 4: Bears 37, Seahawks (Hasselbeck) 6. Grossman takes 20-6 halftime lead, with 93.6 QB rating.
  • Game 5: Bears 40, Bills 7. Grossman takes 27-0 halftime lead, with two first-half passing TDs and a 128.8 halftime QBR. Valiant defense holds.

After 5 games: Bears 5-0, with Grossman playing a key role in all wins.

• Game 6: Bears 24, Cardinals 23. "The Bears are who we thought they were! That's the way we took the damn field. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!" Bears defense saves game. Bad Grossman #1. National TV. An impression that sticks.
  • Game 7: Bears 41, 49ers 10. Grossman takes 24-0 first quarter lead and 41-0 halftime lead, throwing 3 TDs, 0 INTs with 144.5 halftime QBR. Valiant defense loses second half, 10-0
  • Game 8: Bears 13, Dolphins 31. Grossman has mediocre first half (68.5 QBR) … and so does all-world Bears defense (hmmm?), falling behind Dolphins 14-10 at halftime under the relentless attack of one J. Harrington (TD pass) and R. Brown (59 yards rushing). Wait a sec. I thought the Bears defense kept Grossman in games, not the other way around? Game turns on muffed punt by all-galaxy D. Hester, resulting in first Dolphins TD. Grossman chips in a pick-six, but follows that in same 2Q with deep TD pass: “(2:04) R.Grossman pass deep left to M.Muhammad for 30 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” In 3Q, HOF Bears receiver Justin Gage catches at Grossman 17-yard pass, fumbles it, and Dolphins return for 33 yards to Bears 12. Three plays later, NFL MVP J. Harrington throws second TD pass, putting the Dolphins up 21-10. With 10:19 to play in 4Q, down 21-10, 3rd and 10, Grossman tosses another pick. Dolphins take over at Bears 24. In one play, all-Madden QB J. Harrington makes it 28-10: “(10:08) J.Harrington pass deep left to C.Chambers for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Grossman finishes with 36.8 QBR, but was not the reason the Bears lost. He simply was unable to make up for the suckfest put on by other Bears players, including the defense.
  • Game 9: Bears 38, Giants (Manning) 10. First half looks like Vikings game. Grossman has mediocre half (60.6), and the visiting Bears fall behind 13-10. However, Manning has an even worse first half (42.4 QBR). Guess who answers the bell in the second half? The Sex Cannon. Q3: “3-3-NYG 10 (8:29): R.Grossman pass short right to M.Muhammad for 10 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Bears up 17-13. “1-2-NYG 2 (5:45) R.Grossman pass short middle to D.Clark for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Bears up 24-13. Final score: Bears 38, Giants 20. Grossman 3 TD passes, 105.7 QBR for game, despite 60.6 QBR in first half. Game manager wins, my ass.
  • Game 10: Bears 10, Jets (Pennington) 0. Score is 0-0 at half. Grossman is ineffective in first half, but throws no INTs. Pennington throws an INT on the way to a 41.9 first-half QBR. Who’s going to break the open? Sex Cannon, 4Q: “2-6-CHI 43 (15:00) R.Grossman pass short right to M.Bradley for 57 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Final Grossman QBR: 81.4.

After 10 games: Bears are 9-1, with Grossman playing great / good enough in 8 games, badly in another game (win over Cards), and not the reason for loss to Dolphins. Good Grossman showed up for 8 games, all wins. Defense clearly responsible for only one win (Cards).

Next comes the unraveling of Grossman, at the hands of Belichick and Asante Samuel. This was one of the late-2006 game tapes that the NFL demanded, the group of which resulted in sanctions against Belichick for cheating.

• Game 11: Patriots 17, Bears 13. See this thread. Two out of 3 Grossman INTs are outrageously great plays by Samuel. Cheating? Hmmm…
  • Game 12: Bears 23, Vikings 13. Grossman stinkfest, possibly a hangover from Patriots game, saved by defense. Only the second win of the year clearly achieved by defense.
  • Game 13: Bears 42, Rams (Bulger) 27. Grossman 114.4 QBR for game (2 TDs). Bears up 14-13 at half: Grossman 91.0 QBR, Bulger 107.3 QBR. In 3Q, Grossman takes completes passes of 15, 21, 11, and 32 yards, capped by this game-winner: “3-5-SL 14 (3:39) R.Grossman pass short left to M.Muhammad for 14 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Bears 28, Rams 13. Game manager wins, my ass.
  • Game 14: Bears 34, Bucs 31. Sex Cannon puts up Bears at the half, 21-3, with 2 TD passes and 116.1 first-half QB rating. 1Q: “3-3-TB 24 (7:49) R.Grossman pass deep left to D.Clark for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Bears 7-0. 2Q, 27 seconds to go: “2-10-TB 12 (:27) R.Grossman pass short middle to D.Clark for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Then the all-universe Bears defense gets a case of Norvitis, and manages to surrender an 18-point lead in second half. End of regulation: 31-31. What’s a game manager to do? Call the Sex Cannon. Overtime: “3-8-TB 48 (5:40) R.Grossman pass deep left to R.Davis to TB 20 for 28 yards (R.Barber).” Followed by FG and 34-31 Bears OT win. Grossman finishes with 104.3 QBR. Vaunted Bears defense gives T. Rattay a 98.3 QBR.

After 14 games: Bears are 12-2, clinching home-field advantage for the playoffs. Grossman has played great / good enough in 10 games, badly in two wins (Cards, 2nd Vikes), not the reason for loss to Dolphins, and very questionable whether Grossman / bad receivers / Samuel / Belichick should take credit for loss to Patriots. The worst-case read of Grossman here is 10-4, and I’d argue that 10-2-2 is the most appropriate view of Grossman’s play / projected record. Also, Grossman bailed out the defense after the defense blew a big lead over the Bucs, offsetting the early Cards game, where the defense bailed out Grossman.

Last two games have nothing at stake for Bears.

• Game 15: Bears 26, Lions 21. Grossman takes Bears to 17-7 lead at half, with 1 TD and 91.8 first-half QBR. Kitna answers back at half with 93.5 QBR against all-millennium Bears defense, on the way to a 100.5 QBR for the game. Wha? Handed a halftime lead (17-7), Bears defense blows lead in second half for second week in row. Wha?? Lions are up 21-17 entering 4th quarter. Grossman leads the Bears to a FG with completions of 27 and 9 yards. Then he is relieved by Brian Griese, after two hard sacks, finishing with 80.4 QBR. The Bears make the change to protect Grossman and to give Griese a tuneup before the playoffs. Griese gets the final 6 points for the win.
  • Game 16: Packers (Favre) 26, Bears 7. This New Year’s Eve game was Brett Favre’s farewell to the NFL. (First in a series.) Bears had nothing at stake, and played like it. Grossman and Griese combined for 5 INTs. Grossman QBR: 0.

The last 2 games had nothing at stake for Grossman, but his QBR against the Packers remains held against him. No context. In games that actually mattered, I have the Bears 12-2, and Grossman’s grade as 10-2-2. Where’s all that suck that people complained about?

Playoffs?

• Playoffs, Game 1: Bears 27, Seahawks (Hasselbeck) 24. Grossman throws for 282 yards and a TD in first half, leading Bears to 21-14 halftime lead. After Hasselbeck ties up the game 7-7, the next play from scrimmage is all Sex Cannon money shot: “2Q. 1-10-CHI 32 (14:45) R.Grossman pass deep middle to B.Berrian for 68 yards, TOUCHDOWN.” Bears 14, Seahawks 7. All-Species Bears defense again surrenders lead. 14-14 with about 2 minutes before the half. Time for Sex Cannon two-minute drill. “2-8-CHI 45 (2:00) R.Grossman pass deep left to M.Muhammad to SEA 34 for 21 yards (M.Boulware, K.Jennings).” “1-10-SEA 34 (1:39) (No Huddle) R.Grossman pass short left to R.Davis to SEA 16 for 18 yards (L.Tatupu).” “3-10-SEA 16 (1:15) R.Grossman pass short left to M.Muhammad to SEA 7 for 9 yards (L.Hill).” Jones punches in the last yard, and it’s a 21-14 Bears halftime lead. In 3Q, the all-epoch Bears defense surrenders lead for third time in game, putting Seahawks up 24-21 entering the last frame. For the third time, Grossman and Bears rushers bail out the defense, this time with the game-tying FG drive, making it 24-24 at end of regulation. Overtime: enter Sex Cannon. Money shot: “3-10-CHI 34 (12:10) R.Grossman pass deep right to R.Davis to SEA 36 for 30 yards (K.Hamlin).” Bears bang in FG, Bears win 27-24. Game manager wins, my ass. Bears defense surrendered THREE leads provided by Grossman. Devin Hester fumbled 3 times. Grossman wins in OT. Without Grossman, Bears defense and Hester don’t make it past first round of playoffs.
  • Playoffs, Game 2: Bears 39, Saints (Brees) 14. Brees throws for 354 yards and 2 TDs. Grossman ineffective in first half, but no INTs. Bears take 16-7 halftime lead, riding 23 runs by Jones and Benson. Grossman wakes up in second half, tossing a TD (still no INT), but this is fairly viewed as a no-decision. Once again, for second playoff game in row, no game-killing mistakes by Grossman. He beats the Seahawks with his arm, and lets the Bears ground attack beat the Saints.
  • Super Bowl: Colts 29, Bears 17. Grossman throws TD pass (1Q) and no INTs in first half, helping Bears take 14-6 lead at end of 1Q. Bears defense can’t hold lead. Peyton Manning leads the Colts to 10 points in 2Q on drives of 46 yards (FG) and 58 yards (TD). Colts lead at halftime, 16-14. Colts take opening kickoff in 3Q and again drive down the throats of the all-carbon Bears defense, with a 56-yard FG drive. Colts up 19-14. After this, it gets ugly for Grossman. Conclusion: Peyton Manning was better than both the Bears defense and Grossman. Shocking stuff!

Bears fans and coaches scapegoat Grossman for the Super Bowl loss, despite the fact that Grossman had the Bears up 14-6 after 1Q. The game turned when Manning drove three times on the Bears defense to turn the score to 19-14 in third quarter. Grossman played poorly only after that point in the game. This time he was unable to bail out the defense when it (once again) gave up a lead.

This is the true story of Rex Grossman from 2006. Grossman is a damn good QB, and he bailed out his defense as many times as his defense bailed him out (twice each), entering the Super Bowl. He gave his defense a 2Q lead, and they couldn't hold it against Peyton Manning. No shame in that. In the second half, Grossman failed to gain back the lead, and threw some INTs trying. All his INTs came in the second half, after the defense had given up the lead.

Rex Grossman may be the most underrated NFL QB of the past decade. He is unfairly scapegoated for team failures against the great Peyton Manning, after one of the best debuts EVER IN NFL HISTORY as a first-time NFL starting QB.

Since when have the Chicago Bears or Bears fans known anything about QBs? You accept their verdict?

Give Rex Grossman one year to prove me right.

This thread needed to happen before the rather intellectually dishonest one you made comparing Beck and Grossman.

I think it creates an excellent reason for that thread and his stat picking in there...

He's a Grossman homer :)

As a gator-hater living in Florida, I relish the oppurtunity to hate on the underwhelming QB products from gainesville that have somehow made it to the NFL. This is important because I remember the 2006 season and taking crap from the UF fans around here (most of which could never get into UF let alone graduate). He did indeed have a very good regular season on a team with a very good defense. He had a horrendous Super Bowl. Rex Grossman is by far the best QB to play in the NFL from UF. You also have ot understand that any starting QB at UF is immediately canonized in the state of florida as the greatest QB in the universe. These rednecks can't find the moon on a clear night, but just in case there are aliens somewhere out there, they just want them to know that Tim Tebow could throw a football better than lord Znark of Zoltron. Seriosuly, they really had a huge boner for Timmy who John Elway describes as a joke (in Timmy's defense, Elway is a ****y d-bag who thinks everybody other than him is a joke of QB).

Having Rex Grossman on this team is like God punishing me personally for my hatred of UF, but I've known since 2006 that Rex Grossman was both an amazing and horrible QB. At times he's as good as any QB in the league, and at times he's lucky to complete a pass, let alone not get picked. I do think that Shanny can work with anybody as long as they work with him (cough...Mcnabb). Even still, I can't lose on this one. If he sucks, I get to add to my material of UF QB's being the laughingstock of the league. If he backs up his prediction, I will gladly eat my words.

Objectively, I have been happy with Grossman here. Sadly, I like the guy. IT kind of pisses me off.

Also Atlanta Skins Fan, I get that you support someone that you think is being attacked, but its down right disrespectful to insinuate stupidity (which you do multiple times in your post). If you want to use facts to back up your opinions, do so without also throwing veiled shots in a post.

you may also want to avoid stat picking and completely ignoring other stats that may be relevant to the topic you're discussing. You yourself admitted Grossman had a rough second half in the SB, yet glossed over that fact like it was completely unimportant, despite the fact it was the MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF HIS CAREER. That second half is actually more important than pointing out that he didn't have a great supporting cast, or that Orton sometimes still had a better QB rating than he did, or that you blame the Bears greatest strength for failing them on occasion.

I'm as opened minded to Grossman as anyone else here and, be it him or Beck, I'm excited about the year. Frankly, I agree that he has been sold short to a certain degree and have a lot of hope that he can excel in this system.

The thing is, Rex has been in the league since 2003 and you only include his stats from the 2006 season -- the year they went to the SB. His combined record as a starter in all other years (including playoffs) is 6-10. And, in all but one of those seasons, his rating never got to 75 (74.8 in 2003 when he started 3 games).

I'm not taking away anything from the year he went to the SB and if you want to defend him that's fine. But, if you're going to compare him to other quarterbacks in multiple seasons you should include his entire career in Chicago, not just 2006.

ASF makes his points with stats that are in his favor. I'd say if you're going to argue against them, do your own work.

I personally don't feel like digging up second half stats, simply because the original point I myself was making was that I thought Grossman and Beck both have played well and seem like they'll both do well this season if they got the start. ASF decided to make an entire topic proclaiming Grossman far superior and essentially ripping Beck for playing against a weak Colts team and pointing out Grossman was a SB QB. I pointed out that the Bears could have won the game had they maybe had a QB that didn't gamble and throw 2 picks in the second half of the most important game of their season. I'm not trying to prove Grossman is even a bad QB, but I'm pointing out he makes a lot of mistakes and many of them cost his team, games. Last time I checked, turnovers are a very important stat and most coaches say thats the most important stat of the game outside the final score.

But, if people feel the need to try and divide the fanbase so they're right about something that really doesn't matter anyway (most Beck fans aren't saying Grossman sucks, but a lot of Grossman supporters seem to go out of their way to try and torch Beck), more power to them. I'll just point out that in the end, the decision on who is QB may be made based on whether or not the coaching staff want to deal with the fact that sometimes Grossman says "**** it, I'm going deep!" or throws a pick to a LB he never saw when they're driving to tie a game.

I agree you have to look at the whole career. But outside of 2006, he had 18 starts over 7 years. That's hardly time to develop a rhythm. Plus I believe he had 3 different OC's his first three years in the league. Brian Griese once said the Bears offensive players feel like second-class citizens compared to the defense. The Bears OL has been real bad for years now. They ranked last in the league last year per NFL.com.

That team's priority has mostly been defense and special teams under Lovie Smith. Contrast their offensive stability with that of the Patriots who have had (last I checked) the same OL coach for over 20 years (pre-Brady AND Belichek).

I believe Grossman was in the second year under Ron Turner's system in 2006 and IMO played quite well given the personnel on the OL and at WR - not real strong.

I think his biggest problem has been injuries early on. He sustained two in his first three years that essentially wiped out his second and third years - earning him the name Glassman. He even had his knee bent in an awful way in the Skins game in 2007.

I personally don't feel like digging up second half stats, simply because the original point I myself was making was that I thought Grossman and Beck both have played well and seem like they'll both do well this season if they got the start. ASF decided to make an entire topic proclaiming Grossman far superior and essentially ripping Beck for playing against a weak Colts team and pointing out Grossman was a SB QB. I pointed out that the Bears could have won the game had they maybe had a QB that didn't gamble and throw 2 picks in the second half of the most important game of their season. I'm not trying to prove Grossman is even a bad QB, but I'm pointing out he makes a lot of mistakes and many of them cost his team, games. Last time I checked, turnovers are a very important stat and most coaches say thats the most important stat of the game outside the final score.

But, if people feel the need to try and divide the fanbase so they're right about something that really doesn't matter anyway (most Beck fans aren't saying Grossman sucks, but a lot of Grossman supporters seem to go out of their way to try and torch Beck), more power to them. I'll just point out that in the end, the decision on who is QB may be made based on whether or not the coaching staff want to deal with the fact that sometimes Grossman says "**** it, I'm going deep!" or throws a pick to a LB he never saw when they're driving to tie a game.

One point to be made by ASF's OP, is that the Bears wouldn't have made the SB without Rex.

Right now, I'd say the QB competition hasn't changed anyone's mind, or initial position, yet. Hopefully one QB will step up, Grossman or Beck. It's a shame we can't quiz the two most knowledgeable people on this subject, here. Especially the elder, known for throwing out smokescreens more than revealing any team details.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 07:51 PM ----------

Did this really need a new thread?

By the way....TLDR.

Sigh. Nothing against you, STG. Yet another internet abbreviation to lazily type a cliche. And it's about being too lazy to read something. Doh!

One point to be made by ASF's OP, is that the Bears wouldn't have made the SB without Rex.

I'll bite. How do we know that?

I'll even take it a step further... The Bears wouldn't have made the SB without their entire defense.

And it's not a knock on Rex, either. It's just silly to insinuate a team that was built and thrived on its defense wouldn't have made the Super Bowl without a guy who turned the ball over more than he threw for touchdown passes. Rex did what he had to do, good on him. And I'd say he's improved tenfold here. But this is pure conjecture.

[

ASF did his homework to validate his point. Good for him. Although I'm hoping for the feel good Cinderella story that could be John Beck, either way I'm good. We have Two (count 'em two) QBs who have shown the ability to look good in each pre-season game. It's been a long time since I remember having that problem. Whether we do well under the leadership of the sex cannon or the Stormin' Mormon doesn't matter to me.

Right now, I'd say the QB competition hasn't changed anyone's mind, or initial position, yet. Hopefully one QB will step up, Grossman or Beck. It's a shame we can't quiz the two most knowledgeable people on this subject, here. Especially the elder, known for throwing out smokescreens more than revealing any team details.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 07:51 PM ----------

Sigh. Nothing against you, STG. Yet another internet abbreviation to lazily type a cliche. And it's about being too lazy to read something. Doh!

And another point would be the Bears couldn't have made the SB without Devin Hester. Or the defense. Those aren't even facts though, and stats don't prove anything of that nature.

To me, all you have to do is see those two second half INTs in the SB (which you can see the videos online) and know that had he not made those horrible decisions, the Bears were still in the game. Thats a valid knock on someone. If he does that to the Redskins in games, you better believe you'll hear people ripping him a new one and saying he is hot garbage.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 08:05 PM ----------

I'll take your word for it, but i can only find 15 reg season starts and 1 post-season start (2005) over 5 years outside of 2006.

He had 3 more starts with the Redskins.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrosRe00.htm

Archived