Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Landry tweaks hammy, Banks OUT Torain OUT vs Ravens...injury news

THUNDERDOME

http://www.csnwashington.com/08/21/11/New-injury-keeps-Redskins-Landry-out/landing.html?blockID=552006&feedID=5559

His Achilles’ recovered after a long rehabilitation, Redskins safety LaRon Landry was all set to practice Monday for the first time this preseason … until his hamstring flared up.

Coach Mike Shanahan said after practice Sunday that Landry “tweaked” the hamstring while working out before the Redskins’ game at Indianapolis.

Landry said he hopes to practice Monday, which would allow him only two days of work before Thursday’s game at Baltimore.

“He was doing really well,” Shanahan said. “I think the Achilles’ is healed.”

Asked if Landry’s status could be in doubt for the Week 1 opener, Shanahan said: “Let’s go day by day. I don’t know how bad the hamstring is. Sometimes they take a day or two, sometimes, it takes a little bit longer.”

In other injury news:

* Return man Brandon Banks (knee) has been ruled out of the Baltimore game and is receiving platelet-rich plasma (blood spinning) treatment.

“He won’t be able to go this week but hopefully by Tampa Bay, it gets better and we’ll try it then,” Shanahan said.

* Tight end Chris Cooley (knee) watched practice from the sideline for the first time in at least a week instead of rehabbing inside Redskin Park. The Giants opener remains his target date.

“He’s getting some good treatment, working out well, getting his cardio up but it’s still a little bit sore,” Shanahan said.

* Running back Ryan Torain (hand) said he remains day to day but wouldn’t answer a question about if he’s been cleared for contact.

“I’m out there taking handoffs and catching the ball and doing what the coaches are asking me to do,” he said. “It’s tough being on the sideline but I’m excited to get out there and play.”

Torain all but confirmed what coach Mike Shanahan said last week – he’s out for the Baltimore game but hopes to play in the preseason finale against Tampa Bay.

Once back in full practice or a game, Torain said regaining his footing, “won’t take long at all. I’ve been staying in shape.”

* Receiver Malcolm Kelly (foot) enters his third week out of practice. His latest MRI came back negative.

Shanahan said Kelly can “hopefully in the next week,” return to practice.

* Linebacker Edgar Jones (concussion) did not practice after getting injured against the Colts. He spent Friday night in an Indianapolis hotel before flying back to the Washington area on Saturday.

But not all of the Redskins’ injury news was about who didn’t practice. Linebacker London Fletcher (hamstring), cornerback Josh Wilson (groin) and safety O.J. Atogwe (hamstring) were full go in the workout.

Atogwe said “God-willing,” he would make his preseason debut against the Ravens.

“It had been awhile since I was last out there and to just practice and runaround with the fellas, it definitely felt positive,” Atogwe said. “I wasn’t at top speed yet, but that’s what we’re progressing to. … When I’m ready you’ll definitely see me.”

Atogwe practiced for the first time since Aug. 6.

“It felt natural to be back out here,” he said. “I actually felt pretty fast and quick-thinking. But the muscle memory has to come back.”

Fletcher was back for the first time in a week and Wilson returned after missing since last Monday

For some reason I think Banks may end up on IR. This knee issue doesn't sound good.

Yeah, Banks is getting further out on the bubble. He's so dynamic, but his size makes him too vulnerable. It also doesn't hurt that Austin has been having a great preseason so far.

Shocker Torain is out.

I'm all for a backfield of Hightower, Helu and Royster.

Torain is an injury waiting to happen his entire career.

Asking Seriously, do you think the skins need Torain?? I've seen the same things out of Helu that I've seen from torain.

For some reason I think Banks may end up on IR. This knee issue doesn't sound good.

And that's the second one for a guy that relies on speed and quickness. Durability hasn't shown to be one of his attributes. We see to have a few of those between him, Kelly, and Torain.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 07:18 PM ----------

Asking Seriously, do you think the skins need Torain?? I've seen the same things out of Helu that I've seen from torain.

They probably don't "need" Torain, but he was pretty productive when he was in there. IMO, he's clearly one of the 3 best backs on the team. I'm not taking Royster, Draughn, Williams, or whomever else over Torain.

They probably don't "need" Torain, but he was pretty productive when he was in there. IMO, he's clearly one of the 3 best backs on the team. I'm not taking Royster, Draughn, Williams, or whomever else over Torain.

Is he? He's definitely one of the three most exciting backs but I'm not so sure he's head and shoulders above Royster as you seem to be implying.

I just watched Brandon Banks highlights on youtube, and I think people forget how much of a threat he was. He set us up with great field position constantly. If he is healthy, I think we need to find a roster spot for him, even if he doesnt see the field as a WR. If not, IR would be a good way to stash him

Torain missing 3 preseason games and being injury prone just makes me confused why he should make the final roster. If he can practice, I'd offer him to AZ for a conditional late pick. If they don't take it. I'd let him go during final cuts. Very happy with Hightower, Helu, Royster and then Williams as FB/RB AND Sellers as backup TE/FB/Special Teamer. Torian isn't going to start. can he play special teams? I want all the backup RB's to be able to.

Is he? He's definitely one of the three most exciting backs but I'm not so sure he's head and shoulders above Royster as you seem to be implying.

I would say so. One of the two of 'em ran for 4.5 yards a carry against regular season competition. The other had 15 carries against the second and third team defense in the first preseason game. I'm just not quite ready to anoint Royster as one of the better backs based off that. And if it were between Royster and Helu, I'd take Helu. I don't think Torain went from starter to 4th on the depth chart based off of what we've seen so far.

Landry has missed 8 games in his 4 years in the NFL.

Kelly missed 27 in 3 years.

Not even comparable.

Off the top of my head I can remember 1 play from Malcolm Kelly against the Chargers vs countless plays from Landry. You sir are correct, not even comparable.

Torain missing 3 preseason games and being injury prone just makes me confused why he should make the final roster. If he can practice, I'd offer him to AZ for a conditional late pick. If they don't take it. I'd let him go during final cuts. Very happy with Hightower, Helu, Royster and then Williams as FB/RB AND Sellers as backup TE/FB/Special Teamer. Torian isn't going to start. can he play special teams? I want all the backup RB's to be able to.

If Kelly can get 9 lives I see no reason Torrain can't as well when he actually played well last year. He is probably the most talented RB on the roster, I wouldn't even consider keeping Royster over him. Not saying Royster isn't an ok back but I see nothing special in him while Torrain showed plenty last season. JMO.

Archived