Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting Ahead of Myself OR Why This feels like 2005 Again!

NoCalMike

In 2004 & 2010, the 'Skins had a super bowl winning coach come out of retirement, big things were predicted (although not necessarily in year 1)

Both seasons ended up 6-10, followed by a relatively quiet offseason.

Both went into the next season with same system.

Both teams had a totally different feeling in the preseason.

I know it is way too early, and until we see some results in the regular season, it is silly to expect playoffs, but I see a lot of parallels, especially how under the radar the team is.

The media heavily scrutinized Gibbs for giving the starting job back to Brunell, just like Shanahan has been lambasted for shipping McNabb off in favor of either Grossman or Beck.

It feels like another case of a master of the NFL craft being scoffed at by the media and talking heads, but both coaches sticking to their philosophy and bringing in players that fit the system the best.....

Now there are some obvious differences, I feel Shanahan is building a team that is more built for the longhaul, where Gibbs 2.0 was seemingly building a team that could try and go for it before he got out of DC again. (other examples too)

Thoughts?

It's not the wins/losses. It's the look of the team itself. And the fact that Shanahan has been under the same scrutiny that Gibbs was going into 2005. Both of them made decisions at the QB position that the media deemed "outrageous" and were written off for that respective season. Gibbs went from 6-10, to Divisional Playoff round in 1 season, and one of the biggest reasons was because his decision to rip the ball from Ramsey's hands and give it to Brunell even though the media and fans were 100% SURE he was done.

Well, the MEDIA and a lot of fans are also 100% SURE that Beck will either be a disaster or nothing better than average, but it hasn't shaken Shanahan in his decision making in the least.

I am not saying the 2011 Redskins will be in the playoffs, it's more about seeing a change in tone. The team actually looks motivated, hungry, etc etc....

maybe. will have to wait and see. my feeling is 10-6 is a long shot. i'd be happy with 8-8 as long as we are solidly heading in the right direction.

Dude, where'd you get that name? Do you have something to do with Glenn?? Relative, friend, etc.?

I have to wonder why you ask if you are getting ahead of yourself. You cannot get ahead of a feeling or thought only a fact with no disclaimer and you make no such claim.

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 09:38 PM ----------

I dunno.

Could the Skins not score inside the 20 during the 2005 pre-season also?

Don't remember much about the pre-season, however, over the first half of the season, we were somewhere in the bottom third in the RZ. Finished the year in near the top-10. Interestingly, I don't know if this means much because in 2009 we were also a top-10 RZ team.

I'm with you. I've been saying all along 8-8 or 9-7 which I would be happy with. But could we do better than that? Stranger things have happened. I do have this strange sense that something big is happening before our very eyes. I'm not buying into the its just the preseason or we've seen this before bull. This is different.

Doesn't feel the same. I am very happy with what we're building currently but going into 2005 we had a top NFL defense from 2004 and all we needed to get into the playoffs was some production on offense which managed to find its way in there.

While I know that our team has the potential to be great on offense and defense there is no way I can suggest that we'll be top 10 in either at this moment, whilst in 2005 I could have told you in advance we would have a top defense and an improved offense.

I think our offense has gotten better...probably...and I know our defense has gotten better. How much better remains to be seen. I would give almost anything to see us win our division this year just so I could see the looks on the faces of Eagles fans in particular and listen to the collective backpedaling of media members everywhere.

The 2005 team did not look that good in the preseason. They were "eh". I have not done the complete research but from the top of my head this is easily the best rushing team I have ever seen the Redskins have in the preseason. They are just dominating from starters on down. Even in good preseasons of the past, the running game has never put up yards like they have so far.

I don't want to get carried away but it is impressive.

Brunell did look good in the 2005 pre-season though, which was a shock to everyone......

Fast forward to 2011, listen to the post game reports on ESPN/NFL Network.....these guys are reporting on the game not being able to hide how flabbergasted they are that Beck could actually complete an NFL pass.

Fast forward to 2011, listen to the post game reports on ESPN/NFL Network.....these guys are reporting on the game not being able to hide how flabbergasted they are that Beck could actually complete an NFL pass.

I don't really understand why it's that big of a shock to them. Honestly, did anybody expect Mike Shanahan to make all those postive comments about the guy, and then really expect him to come out and stink up the joint? I mean do they really think a man with 3 rings is that completely inept at judging talent? I'm not saying that Beck is going to be a top 10 QB, but the fact that he is at MINIMUM capable of playing at this level should not come as a complete surprise.

I really don't understand where that kind of disrespect for Shanahan's opinion comes from.

I don't really understand why it's that big of a shock to them. Honestly, did anybody expect Mike Shanahan to make all those postive comments about the guy, and then really expect him to come out and stink up the joint? I mean do they really think a man with 3 rings is that completely inept at judging talent? I'm not saying that Beck is going to be a top 10 QB, but the fact that he is at MINIMUM capable of playing at this level should not come as a complete surprise.

I really don't understand where that kind of disrespect for Shanahan's opinion comes from.

Media analysts, fans, anti-fans - they all think they're smarter and know more than the coach because they sit in their living rooms and watch the games on TV. (I guess some of the analysts get to watch the games from the press box)

They've been doin' it for years, so they're experts and the coach would be smart to listen to them.

I get where you're coming from but honestly, I feel like all of the past is out the window, we are entering a completely new phase with our team. After Bugeyes burned the franchise to the ground Shanahallen are building a completely new organization with all new strengths and weaknesses, and we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Gibbs went from 6-10, to Divisional Playoff round in 1 season, and one of the biggest reasons was because his decision to rip the ball from Ramsey's hands and give it to Brunell even though the media and fans were 100% SURE he was done.

I don't remember it being Brunell at all. I remember 5-6 and then Portis was on fire for 5 games as well as the defense. The team won games with Brunell playing game manager. Brunell averaged less than 150 yards a game. Portis ran for almost that much the last 5.

As long as the media looks for the next Manning or Brady, and continues to build up Tebows, Newtons, and Clausens, Shanny will be second guessed.

I suspect Shanny wouldn't touch Sanchez with a ten foot pole, but the guy is in GQ heralded as a great qb. Jets are having success despite him.

Shanny preaches a system, which is "boring" when trying to grab peoples attention on glitzy sports centre.

Good post OP, but I look at this team as a new beginning and don't see an association with the past. Some of the circumstances are the same, but I see more long term promise from this team.

We have a new FO and the owner is clearly not involved. Not saying he was then, but he definately is not now. With Bruce, we have a person building for now and the future. With Vinny we had someone building for now only, and someone unable to evaluate talent.

They said last night on air that Shanny told the owner that he needed five years to build the team. I don't think he needs that long, but he basically has to build the roster from the ground up, and still needs a least one more draft to get to a position to win consistently. I think Gibbs was more about win now than win now and in five years. I bet Shanny wants to coach for a while and wants to coach in one place for a while.

2005 is now the rally cry???

A wildcard team that was gassed by round 1? Which would have been cool if the next season they went right back go sucking.... And 2007???? Another last wildcard that was smoked 35-14 in rd 1.

Please.

in 05 the redskins beat the bucs in round 1, lost in round 2 to the seahawks.

Media analysts, fans, anti-fans - they all think they're smarter and know more than the coach because they sit in their living rooms and watch the games on TV. (I guess some of the analysts get to watch the games from the press box)

They've been doin' it for years, so they're experts and the coach would be smart to listen to them.

Everybody on the internet and internet forums is a "expert" nowadays, and it's ridiculous now. They aren't the ones who hang out and practice with the team

I think what is better than 2005 is that we're building a team that can continue to get better for the next few years. Maybe that doesn't translate to many wins this year (I don't think it will) but I like our chances in 2012 and 2013 with this core group.

What was better about 2005 was a defense with Gregg, Sean, etc. that was considerably more dominant than this defense.

Archived