Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Geotagged photos- personal and military security risk

Bang

Hey all.

Found this today. It is a photo slideshow presentation by the US Army on the dangers of sharing photos on social networking websites. We all know there's a ton of cyberciminals out there and we all know the usual ways they try to trip us up, but this one's rather new on me, and can be much more dangerous than phishing for a credit card number.

Every time you take a photo with a smartphone, it automatically records the exact location, date and time of the photo. and Geotags it to the photo. All of this info is embedded in the digital code that makes up the image.

Posting these can be dangerous, especially if you're a soldier that is depolyed. A soldier can accidentally give away troop positions even if he doesn't post any info with it.

So if one of you is deployed or knows someone who is, this is interesting

http://www.slideshare.net/USArmySocialMedia/social-media-roundupgeotagging-safety

~Bang

interesting,I doubt it is of much use militarily speaking though unless they are taking pictures of the wrong thing....most troop locations are not hard to find and those that ain't should already know better

but better to be aware

providing smartphones is even being looked at for those deployed,there are some interesting aps in use now unofficially

interesting,I doubt it is of much use militarily speaking though unless they are taking pictures of the wrong thing....most troop locations are not hard to find and those that ain't should already know better

but better to be aware

providing smartphones is even being looked at for those deployed,there are some interesting aps in use now unofficially

Agree 100%. If you can't figure out where FOB Salerno is on your own then me positing a picture likely isn't going to increase risk. It isn't like our adversaries at this time can plug some coordinates into their guided missiles and take out our FOBs. At the same time our current "conflict" is against such a, at least technologically, inferior enemy that we may be developing some lackadaisical opsec.

I believe there are several pilot/test initiatives underway with Android based smartphones. Back in the "old days" we had to hook a ruggedized palm up to a 119 or similar radio. It would be interesting to know how much the new smartphones rely on an established cell network.

Archived