Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs. Colts - Preseason Week 2. What are you looking for tonight?

Diesel Hog

What? I think he had three punts and two went inside the 20... if anything the gunners need to step it up and get down the field to kill the punt inside the five. Sav looked just fine.

I was thinking the same thing. If you looked at Sav's stat line, sure it looks like he had a bad game, but if you watched the game, he did exactly what he needed to. His accuracy was pretty good, not coffin corner, but he kept them backed up behind the 20.

I am looking for a city north of Harve De Grace Md. off of 95 that will have the game on local cable? Does anyone know where the Redskin/Dixon line starts?

If I drive south on 95 from NJ I know I can stop at Harve De Grace and check into a hotel to watch the game on local cable access. I don't want to have to drive any further south then I have to. Any Ideas???

The main thing ill be looking at is seeing if Beck can run the offense as efficient as Rex did last week.

I wanna see Helu get some more running attempts.Like to see what he can do.We saw Royster a lot last week.

Really hoping that our lines look as good as last week and last week wasent just a preseason fluke.I hope the Colts bring the heat and blitz/rush.Wanna see us get tested early and often.

Winning isn't important Oldfan

But it tastes good, preseason or not.

About tonight, I wanna see Beck's deep ball. Austin on returns. Kerrigan on coverage. Jenkins domination of tackles. Our OL moving as a unit. Gnomes. Barnes. M.White. Cofield. Redzone. And Wilson needs to show up.

I'll be watching for all prementioned topics (Beck, Gano, Hank...) but overall I'm really anxious to see if we can finish a damn drive. It gets so disheartening to march down the field, get hung up in the red zone, and then have to settle for 3 (if we don't shank it) and even with the win last week, it's still a concern of mine.

I also hope we don't take a step back like we did in PS Game 2 last year, and kill a lot of the good vibes that are starting to show. And on a personal Boise State fan note: I had to quit watching last week after the 3rd quarter so I haven't really got a look to see if former BSU Broncos Derek Schouman, and Brandyn Thompson have any game.

Since a good segment of our members argued strongly recently that Banks is replaceable by "a receiver that can actually contribute in the passing game and return kicks just as well :yawnee: ; I'm looking forward with great anticipation to see who apparently is better than the lil' dude.

Beck's a given of course, but in general just seeing all the young guys out there. Indy never take pre-season seriously. The sole aim of the Colts is to get through unscathed, so their starters won't be in much more than Pittsburgh's. Should be another good leveller for our young guns.

Hail.

I am looking for consistency and building on what they did last week with no let down. If there is any let down it will be at the QB position because Beck will be starting with the first team instead of Grossman. I don't care if they win or not, I just want them to keep on improving without mental errors or turnovers.

Since a good segment of our members argued strongly recently that Banks is replaceable by "a receiver that can actually contribute in the passing game and return kicks just as well :yawnee: ; I'm looking forward with great anticipation to see who apparently is better than the lil' dude.

Wouldn't you agree that having someone slightly less effective returning kicks would be a good tradeoff for having all of WRs be effective in the passing game? I would highly doubt that any other WR will be as good as Banks in the return game, but that doesn't mean we can't find a more valuable player to return kicks.

Wouldn't you agree that having someone slightly less effective returning kicks would be a good tradeoff for having all of WRs be effective in the passing game?

Whoever the "last" WR is on the roster is very rarely productive for any team, so you're better off having someone who's dangerous as a punt/kick returner than someone who's average at returning and a barely adequate WR. They'll probably field more returns in two games than they'll get targetted by the QB all season.

Wouldn't you agree that having someone slightly less effective returning kicks would be a good tradeoff for having all of WRs be effective in the passing game? I would highly doubt that any other WR will be as good as Banks in the return game, but that doesn't mean we can't find a more valuable player to return kicks.

Honestly TD_w, no, I wouldn't.

When you've a guy as potent as Banks is in the return game, in this game where field position is KING; I sincerely believe it would be to our total detriment to replace him on the roster with a 5th/6th receiver who won't see much action, and won't be as deadly in the return game.

We've two top class receiving TE's. A group of good receiving backs. Even if Banks is hardly used in the passing game, just how many more receiving threats outside of the front 4 do you need on the active roster?

Hail.

Honestly TD_w, no, I wouldn't.

When you've a guy as potent as Banks is in the return game, in this game where field position is KING; I sincerely believe it would be to our total detriment to replace him on the roster with a 5th/6th receiver who won't see much action, and won't be as deadly in the return game.

We've two top class receiving TE's. A group of good receiving backs. Even if Banks is hardly used in the passing game, just how many more receiving threats outside of the front 4 do you need on the active roster?

Hail.

Those are fair points. To me, it's more about who to protect long-term. If you know that you have 3-4 promising WRs for the next several years, then I'm fine using a spot for Banks. However, if you're unsure how much more gas left in the tank players like Moss and Gaffney have and you're high on younger WRs like Austin or Paul, I'd be reluctant to cut one for a return man. I get that in 2011 Austin and/or Paul will add next to nothing to the passing game...but what about in 3 years when Moss and/or Gaffney are gone and we're thin at WR again? Banks, if he's still even a great returner, can't help you there.

I'm not sure if it was the lockout or the quiet optimism for the distant future, but I'm really excited about this preseason and especially for Redskins' football. There's a lot of things I'm going to be looking for in tonight's game. there's things I want to see from the team and individual players.

1. Consistency in play/effort/excitement. Last week they played with passion, and even if it's only preseason I want to see commitment to enthusiasm and getting better. I suspect this is what you get when you bring in young players/guys in their prime as opposed to aging veterans during free agency

2. NO major injuries

3. Few peanalties

4. Improvement in scheme acquisition on offense and defense. No blown assignments/out of position players

As far as individual players

1. John Beck....obviously as many have said...is he the real deal, or do we fall on Grossman? Specifically, how he reads the defense/decision making, and accuracy.

2. Ryan Kerrigan.....against the run, and more so pass rushing/does he have pass coverage skills?

3. Niels Paul/Leonard Hankerson.....consistency/continued development/grasp of scheme (I guess this could be said for the entire group)

4. Offensive line play......... all players individual and as a unit, movement and blocking skills on the move

5. Josh Wilson in coverage....self explanatory

6. Brandon Banks again proving he's earned a roster spot

I am looking for a city north of Harve De Grace Md. off of 95 that will have the game on local cable? Does anyone know where the Redskin/Dixon line starts?

If I drive south on 95 from NJ I know I can stop at Harve De Grace and check into a hotel to watch the game on local cable access. I don't want to have to drive any further south then I have to. Any Ideas???

Does anyone know if the game is on local cable in Elkton MD., Newark, Brookside, New Castle or Wilmington DE. ???

Those are fair points. To me, it's more about who to protect long-term. If you know that you have 3-4 promising WRs for the next several years, then I'm fine using a spot for Banks. However, if you're unsure how much more gas left in the tank players like Moss and Gaffney have and you're high on younger WRs like Austin or Paul, I'd be reluctant to cut one for a return man. I get that in 2011 Austin and/or Paul will add next to nothing to the passing game...but what about in 3 years when Moss and/or Gaffney are gone and we're thin at WR again? Banks, if he's still even a great returner, can't help you there.

I'm looking well beyond Moss and Gaffney who I personally don't believe should even be here. Be he is, and he'll be in the top 3, so that is what it is. We've hopefully got a quality young 4 in Austin, Hankerson, Paul and Robinson (I aren't even gona' try make a case for Kelly at this point since he's down AGAIN!), with Armstrong at what, 28, so there's a good few years left there. I guess I'd be taking a chance of putting both Paul and Robinson on the practice squad and nobody picking them up. (I'd personally have one of them on the roster at Gaffney's expense in a down

year, but that's me.).

Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Hankerson, Austin and Banks, with Paul and Robinson on the practice squad. (Hoping against hope Kelly will be in the mix, but that hope is wearing thin, even for someone who's constantly backed him. REAL thin.).

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 12:45 PM ----------

anybody know if the starters are supposed to play the whole first half again?

I would certainly hope so, on offense at the very least. Only fair to Beck to give him the tools Grossman had last week if this is indeed an open competition.

Hail.

Archived