Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs. Colts - Preseason Week 2. What are you looking for tonight?

Diesel Hog

What are you all looking for / expecting tonight? Where will your focus be?

For me...

1. John Beck. I think this is the obvious thing. No one really knows much about him, but the coaches seem to love him. I want to watch his game management, his accuracy, and I hope we see a few deep throws tonight.

2. Linebackers. Last week, I focused on the D-Line a lot. Tonight, I want to really watch the Linebackers and see how they're looking / reacting with the improved D line.

3. The Secondary. Again, last week I didn't pay a lot of attention to this unit, but I really want to watch them, especially the safeties with the 2 starters out. Obviously I heard about the blown coverage and the D Hall fight. Hopefully tonight we see some solid play, and see how they do when Peyton is out there.

4. RBs. I focused on this last week too, and was impressed with what I saw. I'm hoping Helu and Royster get a bunch of carries to further develop these guys.

5. WRs. I did not focus on this unit much last week (again I was all about the lines and Rex for the most part). I want to see good chemistry out there with Beck and the WR corps, and I want to see Hankerson step up and not drop easy passes.

Those will be my main areas of focus tonight. What about you?

- Inside Linebackers! With Fletch out, I want to see a good core in the middle that can try and come close to filling his shoes for the future.

- Want to see Kerrigans imrpovement from last week (He will be in front of his family) so he should put on a show.

- Can Gomes have a repeat strong performance at Safety?

- John Beck is a given.

- More of Helu in front of Royster, and more of D. Young

- Can Barnes be the starter in front of J. Wilson at CB?

- WIll T. Austin or Aldrick Robinson unseat Banks at PR/KR duties with their ability to also play WR?

- Has Hankerson really ever caught balls before he came to us or were those highlight videos photoshopped to fool us in to drafting another WR bust?

I dont envy Beck tonight. Got to be a ton of pressure to look good.

Good news is Indys defense sucks and horrible against the run which should take some pressure off. Plus their QB's are horrible and their top WR's wont be playing.

1. Beck, what he can do.

2. The Secondary, with everybody out but Hall. I'm hoping these RC's and 1-2 year players can step up.

3. Can Hankerson hold on to balls and contribute, we have a legimate number 2 and 3 WR's but no true #1

Obviously all eyes will be on Beck. I'd love to see him play well and look in command of the full offense hitting some things in the intermediate and deeper passing game not just checking down. The Colts are typically a Cover 2 team so there should be some opportunities deep outside and on the dig route - does Beck have the vision to see these and the arm and confidence to hit them?

Apart from that I would like to see Helu get a lot of work and see Hankerson catch a few balls and get involved.

On defense Kerrigan to get some pass rush going and can our secondary look more secure than they did last week even though we are going to be down 3 starters in that area - can Barnes take his opportunity.

I'm going to be looking for consistency:

• keeping down the penalties
  • tempo on getting plays in/out the huddle & no wasted timeouts
  • no turn-overs
  • no major blown assignments that cost scores (primarily LB's & secondary)
  • making all the FG's

Can the Skins build on last weeks outing and continue improvement? I hope so.

My looking points are going to be

DeJon Gomes - with the struggles at safety last week, he has a huge chance to cement his spot in the 53 this week.

Kevin Barnes - if he has another solid game, look for him to challenge Wilson for the starting spot.

Josh Wilson - see above; he needs a solid game tonight. There's an unexpected competition at CB now.

Roy Helu - Evan Royster looked good last week. Can Helu look just as good this week?

Leonard Hankerson - after his drop in the first game, he changed his gloves and appears to have "dropped" the bad habit. Can he perform in the game?

Aldrick Robinson - with Banks appearing to be slowed with another knee injury, can he recover from last week's abysmal performance?

Graham Gano - he's already beaten out one kicker, can he do it again?

- Has Hankerson really ever caught balls before he came to us or were those highlight videos photoshopped to fool us in to drafting another WR bust?

lmao

i just want the team to score points. this has been our problem forever. we usually move the ball, but settle for field goals. im not looking at any position individually, just TOUCHDOWNS

I'm looking for consistency. I don't want to see the first team lay an egg after their good performance last week.

1. John Beck, that's pretty much what tonights game is going to be all about.

2. The OL - I want to see them play with the same chemistry they had last week. It's been a LONG time since we've seen an OL move as one cohesive unit, and if they can continue to build on how they played last week, and not take steps backwards, I think we'll get to see some exciting football come September.

3. The pass rush - I want to see the team consistently getting into the backfield, like they did against Big Ben last week. They had someone within an arms reach of the guy on nearly every play last week.

4. Special Teams - since Banks isn't in tonight, we'll get to see someone else try and take over, hopefully that happens since Banks' knee is apparently very very not good. I want to see Gano continue booting kicks out of the back of the end zone and FGs right down the middle. Also, I want to see what Rocca has, since we only got a brief glimpse last week.

5. The youth movement - I can't wait to see if one of the young guys can take over the CB spot opposite Hall, especially after Wilson didn't play well last week. I want to see Gomes and Russell improve at the safety spots. I want to see Helu get his shot to do mop up duty with the first team, like Royster did last week. I want to see the WR competition behind Moss, Gaffney, and Armstrong. I also want to see our young DL and LBers, Jenkins, Kerrigan, Neild, and Riley.

6. The ILBer competition - This is one of the only spots I'm really really uncertain about. Most of the other position competitions are for backup spots (besides QB) but this one is between Rocky, Riley, and I hope Fox (but I think he might just be Fletcher's backup). I would really really like to see someone outright take the position, instead of just not play as poorly as the other guys. So far they looked pretty good, but we'll see.

1 - I'm looking for Beck to show do his best to beat Grossman's 19/26 (73%) 207yard 1td 0int 109.0rating effort. He'll be facing the Colts which gave up 23 points in the first half of last weeks game against St Louis.

2 - If Rex plays I think he needs to hit 60% completion and no turnovers.

Peyton is not playing unfortunately, I would have liked to see a full strength offense from the Colts....

either way I just want to see progress, shore up some of the mistakes, communicate a little better in the secondary... I also dont want to see the offense take a step back even if Beck is not as sharp as Grossman... hopefully keep the good pace and rythm going....

I would also love to see about 4 touchdowns, just to know what that feels like in ANY game preseason or otherwise!!

I'm going to be looking for consistency:

• keeping down the penalties
  • tempo on getting plays in/out the huddle
  • no turn-overs
  • no major blown assignments that cost scores (primarily LB's & secondary)
  • making all the FG's

Can the Skins build on last weeks outing and continue improvement? I hope so.

This is good. I was thinking more about units...LBs, Secondary, etc...but yeah, good flow / game management, few penalties, and no turn-overs are all huge too. I think all of us just finally want to see a well oiled machine so to speak from our Redskins. For far too long they've seemed clunky, shot themselves in the foot by getting penalties, missed FGs, etc...Efficiency is what I really want to see.

1. Continued development of the scheme on both sides of the ball.

2. Beck doesn't have to blow me away, but he has to move the ball and not give away any turnovers.

3. Continued penetration by the defense, maybe a turnover or two.

4. Third down conversions

5. No turnovers/penalties

6. NO INJURIES!

and a small caveat, I'd love to see Hank get some more looks to get him confidence.

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 10:52 AM ----------

oh and i forgot about punting.. if rocca doesnt boot some tonight, its time to bring in competition.. his first game was awful

What? I think he had three punts and two went inside the 20... if anything the gunners need to step it up and get down the field to kill the punt inside the five. Sav looked just fine.

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 10:55 AM ----------

5. Will Terrance Austin give Banks a run for his money in the return game?

Nice pull, forgot about this one, we should also see some special teams kickoff coverage if Danny Smith is playing it smart. We don't want to get into November and December with Gano having kicked Touchbacks the whole season and all of a sudden he can't because the weather has taken a turn. So in the dome, it's a perfect opportunity to kick it high and have it land around the goaline.

Like everyone else, the main focus will be on Beck. Is he a field general and does he take control.

I will be watching the young receivers and try to figure out which one or two of them will end up making the final roster. Who is going to step it up and make it really hard for the Skins to cut him?

Helu should be showcased tonight, so I want to see if is more than a home run threat. It's nice to have a running back that can do that, but it's more important IHMO to be a guy who keeps moving the chains like Hightower and Royster did last week.

I want to see if the DL is consistent this week like they were last week.

Is the OL starting to gel a little more and does Beck have the same time to throw that Grossman did last week.

Things I think are less important is the secondary right now. With the safety's being out, the secondary probably really won't resemble what they will look like during the regular season.

I just posted this in my thread.

Prediction for tonight's game:

Last season, the Houston Texan's Arian Foster had a monster game with the ZBS as his team dominated in their first game against the Colts and Peyton. The Colts have worked on shoring up the run defense, but this is still their weakness. The Shanahans will feature the run, play ball control, and ease John Beck into the fray by asking him only to keep the chains moving.

Skins win big.

can the team take a 60, 70, 80 yard drive and finish it with a touchdown?

thats what i'm looking for. hogging the ball for 10 minutes, going 70 yards, and kicking a fieldgoal is not how you win in this league. it's plagued them for years now. i want to see redzone touchdowns. throwing a 40 yard pass that runs for a TD isn't what i'm taking about either. I want to scores from inside the redzone.

First and foremost, everyone wants to see in Beck what the Shanny's see. We want to see good rhythm in drives, including a positive 3rd down conversion rate, some long pass plays, and most importantly, scoring in the red zone.

Just as important, I want to see continued OL play. If those two things are in place, we will be looking at a far better season barring injuries.

On defense, I want to see the front 7 dominate the run. If they do this, it will be interesting to see how they do against the colts' passing game.

1. No injuries

2. How the OL do when up against the Colts speed rather than the Steeler's brute strength

3. Will Helu do better than Royster (assuming he gets to play with the better OL guys)

4. More throws to Niles Paul, and/or Hankerson to step up.

5. Better play from the secondary although without facing Manning they had better be better than last week.

Beck will be the big story but TBH if he doesn't cut it in preseason I'm not that bothered as long as Shanny isn't stubborn over starting him.

Winning isn't important Oldfan

What I'm looking for tonight is to see how the offense will be built around John Beck

He can put up a performance like Vick did last night for all I care, it's not like Rex secures the football

What I want to see is what the offense will look like with Beck under center

Is it a fluid machine, is it a chaotic mess? How much of a drop off will it suffer with the different QB?

Will it air out the ball more then with Rex? Or will it hand the ball off more?

Just what does an NFL offense look like with John Beck under center?

The second thing I'm looking for is what kind of improvement has Hall and Wilson made?

This is going to be hard to see just on film

Last week both of these dudes play left much to be desired. And unfortuantly for us Paytons not playing this game

They both need to redeem themselves and show they can be counted on.

Not sure how much of a test Painter or Orloffsky gonna be for us

Still they looked like ass, time to show why they are on the team

I also will be looking for something from the wideouts

I want to see someone separate from the pack and earn a roster spot

And Im not talking about second half against 4th stringers production

I want one of the wideouts to do something. We got enough of them, will the real players please stand up?

I'm really hoping that Moss isn't the focal point tonight, hell I'd give him the night off just to keep the team from using him too much tonight

If he is once again I think it will speak poorly of the youngins

I just posted this in my thread.

Prediction for tonight's game:

Last season, the Houston Texan's Arian Foster had a monster game with the ZBS as his team dominated in their first game against the Colts and Peyton. The Colts have worked on shoring up the run defense, but this is still their weakness. The Shanahans will feature the run, play ball control, and ease John Beck into the fray by asking him only to keep the chains moving.

Skins win big.

I can see that happening. Although, I'd like to see Beck air it out some. But I do want to see our running game gel too.

Archived