Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Redskin Rickie Harris to stand trial in DUI case

B55Green

Link: http://wtop.com/?nid=149&sid=2498731

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) - A man who played for the Redskins in the 1960s has been ruled competent to stand trial in Fairfax County in a drunk driving case, his third such charge in five years.

The Washington Post reports Rickie Harris was pulled over in December with a blood alcohol level above the legal limit. His lawyer, John Keats, argued that his client has dementia and is unable to participate in his own defense. During a three-hour hearing on Monday, family and a former teammate portrayed a man who has gotten lost walking across the street and on his way home from work.

But a judge concluded that the 68-year-old Harris, who played for the Redskins from 1965 to 1970 and then for the New England Patriots, can stand trial.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

I met Ricky through a business transaction last year. Truth be told, I didn't know who he was until I Wiki'd his bio. I was amazed at how small he is even by the league standards of his day. When another client first told me of Rickie's NFL history, I thought my man was BS'n me for sure.

3rd in 5 years? Oh hes going to spend a significant amount of time in jail. DUI have mandatory sentencing so if he's found guilty, he's in deep ****. Pretty sure it's longer than a year for 3 in 5. I could be wrong but I think it's like 3 years.

Ol' 46 was a decent cornerback back in the day. I hope he can pull his life together, because it appears he's got troubles. I wonder if he suffers from long term after-effects of concussions. Back then, they called it getting your bell rung. They waved smelling salts under your nose and sent you back onto the field.

VERY SAD. I got the chance to see Rickie play but he used to drive my Dad crazy. He was a punt returner in the Randle El mold. He would often run side-to-side or even backwards to try and find a seam, often losing yards on his returns. Occasionally, he would find that seam and get a nice return but not often enough to suit my Dad.

Archived