Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Study says child poverty in US now 20%

Brad89

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/110817/child-poverty-united-states-annie-e-casey-founda

Looked but didn't see this posted. For those of you who don't like math, that means that 1 in 5 children live in poverty. In a classroom of 30, 6 students live in poverty. I bet it's difficult to concentrate on the equation of a circle when you don't know if you'll have dinner tonight.

And people wonder why our ranking in education continues to slip. This isn't the entire problem, but it certainly doesn't help.

The sad part is, it's cheap and easy to feed people. If there was more of a push to educate people on urban farming and healthy cooking. Food is fuel and you can't focus and learn if you're not eating right.

Another thing, it's not really 6 out of 30 in a class room. It's schools packed with the poor and schools packed with the rich. I bet it gets more violent and harder to learn in the poor school and just as much as the rich schools get more entitled.

Of course it's not 6 out of 30, but if poverty was randomly distributed it would be. While it may be concentrated in certain areas of the country, it's a nationwide crisis. How this generation does academically isn't just important to this generation; it's going to affect you old ****s too.

It pisses me off that the Debt Limit "crisis" gets more play in the media than the real crises facing this country.

Of course it's not 6 out of 30, but if poverty was randomly distributed it would be. While it may be concentrated in certain areas of the country, it's a nationwide crisis. How this generation does academically isn't just important to this generation; it's going to affect you old ****s too.

It pisses me off that the Debt Limit "crisis" gets more play in the media than the real crises facing this country.

I know that man. I was "just sayin".

BTW, good for you making a difference in the lives of kids.

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 02:57 PM ----------

It's sickening to think about the states around or above the 25% mark.

If this is like their usual studies they do not account for welfare ,food stamps,free healthcare ect as income whick skews data

still it is bad

I've read this a couple of times and I honestly fail to understand what point you're trying to get across.

Is it that if they included all of those things, there would be significantly less children living in "poverty?"

If so, I don't think it really matters whether they include government services as income. Surely folks who have those services are better off than comparable individuals who don't have those services available, but I don't think including those data would change much except the number. The fact that we live in, what is supposed to be the Best Country God Ever Gave Man on the Face of the Earth, it's appalling that there ANY children who have to live the most important part of their lives (developmentally) in poverty.

Brad....poverty here can mean a home,tv,computer, cell phone and plenty to eat....or something much,much worse

I grew up in poverty,even Rick Perry grew up in poverty......simply basing it on income gives a incomplete picture is all I am saying....details matter

for instance see what the different rates are for couples and single parents with children

Don't poverty stats come from percentage of income needed for food and shelter? Now one may get food stamps to help, but if they are like WIC coupons, some money ist still required to be in a position to use the coupons. What good is a can of "chef boy r dee" without a microwave or an oven (nevermind the bowl and spoons). I just know how grim it would have been to have to survive off only the WIC coupons we used for one of our kids premi formula. But then I am spoiled now...

Sure details matter, but so do results. Studies consistently show that lower income children perform much more poorly than their well-to-do peers. Sure, you may have a home and a TV. But do you have books in the house? Do your parents have time to spend with you, or are they working 2 and 3 jobs to provide that home and that TV? If they do have time to spend with you, are those interactions high quality? All of these things matter. I'm not trying to say that they don't.

How would you define poverty? BTW, I don't mean to come off as confrontational. I'm just trying to have a discussion. If you want to define poverty by homelessness, in 2009, there were 1.5 million children without a home (http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-10/us/homeless.children_1_homeless-children-family-homelessness-child-homelessness?_s=PM:US)

The point I'm trying to make is that this is a silent crisis going on in America. It doesn't get the news coverage or the political attention it deserves. Aside from how upsetting it is to imagine a parent being unable to provide basic necessities for their children, there are real world economic and political ramifications of this. These children (typically - there are exceptions) don't perform as well as their peers in school. Many of these children won't go on to get a post-secondary education. If (as I think it will), our economy continues to shift away from manufacturing and labor-driven jobs, knowledge and the importance of having letters behind your name will become increasingly important.

Without a good education, we're letting these children slip through the cracks. It's not the "American Way." That's all I'm trying to say.

Archived