Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Redskins acquier Matt Flynn?

coachreiter

Depends on what we traded. If it were like a really low round pick or a player we're going to cut anyway (like we did with Doug Dutch last season), I'd take a flyer on him. We could use a developmental prospect, and Flynn has looked really good.

Unfortunately, given the demand for young QBs with proven promise, he'd warrant at least a 3rd. On that I'd say no.

• 2 months later...

Since Shanny is willing to go into a season with only 2 QBs, I wouldn't mind Flynn Being the veteran to go with our drafted rookie QB. Both Rex and Beck need to go, and Flynn was beating people out to get that #2 spot in GB. All his situation means is he's not better then Arron Rodgers...

Note: Flynn and Rex are both UFAs this coming offseasons.

Is it just me, or does Ryan Tannehill seem like he's a great fit for the Shanny O?

Honesty Hog, I am at the point where I don't care what QB we draft. I think they all will be able to succeed in this offense. The question now is what QB does Mike and Kyle like the best and will they be there when we pick or do we have to trade up.

I'll say this about Tannehill, he is an athlete. Whoever drafts him will have a nice toy to play with in their offense. Can you imagine running a wide receiver reverse with the option to pass with Tannehill running a wheel route or something? The possibilities with him would be nice. :ols:

I wouldn't say Matt Flynn is out of play, but I will stand by my previous statement that we need to bring in our own QB and groom him.

Is it just me, or does Ryan Tannehill seem like he's a great fit for the Shanny O?

Biggest knock on Tannehill is that he only has a year and a half as a QB.

Given his size, mobility and arm strength, yes I agree he would be a good fit.

But he would most likley have to sit for a year, which begs the question of who plays during that time frame ?

There seems to be some major disagreements in other threads as to where tannehill would go, first or second round.

My opinion is that he is a high second round pick.

With that I would then trade up if neccessary and draft Blackmon in the first, then grab Tannehill in the second.

Pick up Matt Flynn to play while Tannehill is prepped as the new qb.

Honesty Hog, I am at the point where I don't care what QB we draft. I think they all will be able to succeed in this offense. The question now is what QB does Mike and Kyle like the best and will they be there when we pick or do we have to trade up.

I'll say this about Tannehill, he is an athlete. Whoever drafts him will have a nice toy to play with in their offense. Can you imagine running a wide receiver reverse with the option to pass with Tannehill running a wheel route or something? The possibilities with him would be nice. :ols:

I wouldn't say Matt Flynn is out of play, but I will stand by my previous statement that we need to bring in our own QB and groom him.

I like the idea of grooming our own too. Though...I'm not opposed to a decent FA coming in. At this point anyone seems better than Grossman / Beck.

Kellen Moore could be another decent option. Who knows though? I seem to be wrong at this more often than not. I just want a solid QB (read above average), and a killer O-Line. I think with that combo, the team can finally get to the 10+ wins range.

But he would most likley have to sit for a year, which begs the question of who plays during that time frame ?

There seems to be some major disagreements in other threads as to where tannehill would go, first or second round.

With that I would then trade up if neccessary and draft Blackmon in the first, then grab Tannehill in the second.

You had me until right there. Why would we draft a QB in the second round only to have him sit behind a QB that could possibly become our franchise QB? IMO Any QB we draft in the first two rounds needs to start from day one.

Blackmon could be a great asset, but what if Hankerson really steps it up the next few weeks? Would you change your mind? I don't know why, but I have a good feeling about Tannehill, and think he has the potential to be a great NFL QB.

Kellen Moore could be another decent option. Who knows though? I seem to be wrong at this more often than not. I just want a solid QB (read above average), and a killer O-Line. I think with that combo, the team can finally get to the 10+ wins range.

I love Moore, but I am not going to talk about him until after the combine. Until then I will just be wasting my breath because the people who bags on him just repeat the same stuff over and over again. (Size, Arm Strength, Level of Competition, etc. )

If we do this, how do we improve our putrid OL?

He scares me. A converted WR to QB. I mean he has some good skills, I'm just not sure about him.

---------- Post added November-10th-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

If we do this, how do we improve our putrid OL?

1) We have more than 1 pick in the draft and all our linemen don't have to be 1st round picks

2) There is free agency and we were really smart in free agency last year. There wasn't alot of quality linemen in free agency this year.

I want our own true-blue, honest to goodness, franchise QB starting next season.

- Not a great athlete who plays QB.

- Not someone with inflated numbers from some gimmicky system.

- Not someone who had great numbers because of ridiculous talent around him.

I think giving up some of our draft picks AND/OR potentially one or two of our current players is well worth it.

I want an accurate, intelligent QB that can adjust to defenses and that causes other teams and fans to doubt themselves and their ability to win against us.

If that is Luck or Barkley or someone else, I don't really care who it is, but they need to be in Burgandy and Gold starting next season.

No more experiments with retreads or has-beens.

No more listening to excuses of how close we are.

I understand it is hard to find "that guy", but I am sick and tired of hoping we win and waiting on the potential of our team.

I am sorry if this post comes across as offensive to any of you, but for me personally, I expect more than the (at best) mediocre output this team has produced for the better part of the decade.

I'll get off my soap-box now.

HAIL!!!

True, but...I mean, he can't be any worse than "Mr. 3 & Out" John Beck, right?

As long as he pans out. I'm with this guy, below.

I want our own true-blue, honest to goodness, franchise QB starting next season.

- Not a great athlete who plays QB.

- Not someone with inflated numbers from some gimmicky system.

- Not someone who had great numbers because of ridiculous talent around him.

I think giving up some of our draft picks AND/OR potentially one or two of our current players is well worth it.

I want an accurate, intelligent QB that can adjust to defenses and that causes other teams and fans to doubt themselves and their ability to win against us.

If that is Luck or Barkley or someone else, I don't really care who it is, but they need to be in Burgandy and Gold starting next season.

No more experiments with retreads or has-beens.

No more listening to excuses of how close we are.

I understand it is hard to find "that guy", but I am sick and tired of hoping we win and waiting on the potential of our team.

I am sorry if this post comes across as offensive to any of you, but for me personally, I expect more than the (at best) mediocre output this team has produced for the better part of the decade.

I'll get off my soap-box now.

HAIL!!!

Not offensive at all. I'm right there with you.

You had me until right there. Why would we draft a QB in the second round only to have him sit behind a QB that could possibly become our franchise QB? IMO Any QB we draft in the first two rounds needs to start from day one.

Two reasons- One, Tannehill only has a year and a half at qb position, putting him out there at NFL speed in day one would not be smart, UNLESS, he surpasses all expectations and picks up the pace

early.

And number 2, we would have Flynn as a back up or starter , which I would speculate will be much better then having Beck.

Of course the situation could change depending on if the draft or free agency is first. That could dictate alot.

Sorry to resarrect an old thread but I figured it would be better than creating one..

Was just going to pop in and say that Matt Flynn looked pretty darn good last night when he came in for Rodgers. He made some good throws, looked poised in the pocket and seemed to have a winning attitude. I wouldn't be upset if the Skin's gave him a look. Still a young guy, he's been around a winning system and winning teams. I'd imagine he would garner a look this offseason.

Archived