Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Tape: Redskins vs. Steelers Preseason Week 1

KCClybun

I have only seen it twice, and it is not include in this thread, but I loved the long run by Helu. Once in the open field, he puts a move on a defender and goes by him untouched. Helu fakes inside and runs right by him on the outside. Portis over the last two years would have been tackled at that spot.

Kerrigan looked average, but still a rookie I suppose.

He looked fine doing what he already knows how to do- getting into the back field. However, covering the run he was pushed around by Steeler #85 and on pass plays he was lost in space. This is to be expected but I have a feeling we will see Andre Carter 2.0 this season at the OLB position. It will be frustrating for Redskin fans to watch him learn the position.

Watch Grossman at :55 and 1:15

Instant discredit to any "our oline made him look good" idiots.

The O-line played well for the most part. Especially run blocking. Still some work to do on the interior in passblock. But Trent looked like he wants to be a probowler, he was swallowing rushers. Besides those two plays, the line gave Grossman time, and there were actually times he hurried his throws for no reason.

Grossman needs a good oline to succeed. If he gets a pass rush, he'll start throwing INTs. The Oline did a good job, and he had a good night. I dunno why you feel the need to call people idiots for pointing that out.

I came away from the game and these highlights (again) very impressed with Clemens. It's doubtful he ever gets a real shot here, but I think he could be a very solid QB. Good arm strength and footwork. Outside of some misses on his first drive he played well.

I came away from the game and these highlights (again) very impressed with Clemens. It's doubtful he ever gets a real shot here, but I think he could be a very solid QB. Good arm strength and footwork. Outside of some misses on his first drive he played well.

Yeah I would say so. I feel pretty comfortable with our depth at QB. Time will tell how far our #1 will take us this year.

I thought the same thing and really hope that was the case b/c he was getting pushed around a lot.

He seemed really hesitant. You'll notice after he got that stop behind the LOS with Cofield, he got a little better penetration. I think he was just nervous.

Thanks for posting the videos. first i have seen, since I was at the game fri.

Grossman ought not throw off his back foot.... when he does bad things tend to happen. If he had put some follow through on that pass to the end zone that he missed might have connected a foot earlier. gets away with it in the pre-season when they run 3 basic defense schemes but not gonna happen in the reg season when they game plan him.

Royster was a nice surprise to me.... but seems to missing a bit of break away speed for someone his size ??

Royster was a nice surprise to me.... but seems to missing a bit of break away speed for someone his size ??

I think that was the knock on him coming out of college. Very solid runner but isn't a real threat, yet won't **** up for you. Good vision and sense allow him to get moderate yardage on most plays. I think Royster grades out as a pretty good #2 running back. When your main guy is getting a breather, he can come in and still do well enough to get a moving the chains type of offense going.

Yeah, Royster's not going to make a lot of big plays for you, but he's productive, and he rarely net you negative yardage. He's a chain mover; not very flashy, but he'll get you in manageable downs and distances, and he's a pretty good blocker and has reliable hands out of the backfield.

Not a world beater, but sometimes you don't need a world beater.

I'm having issues cutting together footage of Helu's plays, so try to be patient, please.

Yeah, Royster's not going to make a lot of big plays for you, but he's productive, and he rarely net you negative yardage. He's a chain mover; not very flashy, but he'll get you in manageable downs and distances, and he's a pretty good blocker and has reliable hands out of the backfield.

Not a world beater, but sometimes you don't need a world beater.

I'm having issues cutting together footage of Helu's plays, so try to be patient, please.

Yeah, I thought maybe it was just me that was unimpressed with Royster, with some of the praise being given to him by others. After watching his highlights here a 2nd time, I can see why I felt they way, and still do.

It may not take a world beater to move the chains in preseason against the 2nd team, but let's just say I don't see him getting many carries in the regular season.

To each their own, but he's about as unexciting of a HB I've seen since Emmett Smith. Hightower, on the other hand, is a beast and a half, so I'll deal. Helu looked alright to me, but didn't get on the field enough to say for sure.

I'll take the second coming of Emmit Smith in a heartbeat. I don't need exciting. I need production and reliability.

...but yeah Hightower does get the blood flowing doesn't he?

If he remains productive during the regular season, I'll agree. But this line, while improved, is a far cry from the beasts that Emmett ran behind.

Regardless, I'll say Royster did look like more of a fit in the ZBK than say, Keiland Williams. Baby steps, lol.

But yeah, Hightower had some intensity and more quickness than I expected.

Hey---sometimes all you need is five yards. If you need five yards, Royster will get you five yards, and even though he's not explosive and doesn't have great burst, I think he has enough speed that if he did break through a big hole, he has the ability to take it to the house, or at least very very close to the house.

Am I the only one that thought Kerrigan played pretty poor in the first preseason game?

He was out of position it seemed in many of the plays shown in the clip... I am not too worried as this was expected due to the lack of practice and position change but I am just baffled why some of you thinks that Kerrigan played well when in fact he played really poor.

I think Kerrigan will be starting by the end of the year but I would not be surprised to see someone else start at that spot instead of Kerrigan in Week 1.

Actually from what I have seen here.. i would prefer to have someone else start and let Kerrigan learn the position little more before he gets more playing time...

Hey---sometimes all you need is five yards. If you need five yards, Royster will get you five yards, and even though he's not explosive and doesn't have great burst, I think he has enough speed that if he did break through a big hole, he has the ability to take it to the house, or at least very very close to the house.

Yeah royster does a fullback's job, but with cunning and je ne sais quoi instead of heft and brutality. He somehow mosies into the hard yards.

Am I the only one that thought Kerrigan played pretty poor in the first preseason game?

He was out of position it seemed in many of the plays shown in the clip... I am not too worried as this was expected due to the lack of practice and position change but I am just baffled why some of you thinks that Kerrigan played well when in fact he played really poor.

I think Kerrigan will be starting by the end of the year but I would not be surprised to see someone else start at that spot instead of Kerrigan in Week 1.

Actually from what I have seen here.. i would prefer to have someone else start and let Kerrigan learn the position little more before he gets more playing time...

I wouldn't mind seeing Rob Jackson start over him one bit, but that's not likely to be a popular opinion. Kerrigan got a few pressures pass rushing, but looked really hesitant out there, especially in coverage/run support.

It's to be expected with a rookie changing positions, but if he doesn't come along fast enough, I've always liked what Jackson brought to the table when he got on the field.

Thanks for the video! Decided to just re-watch the whole game!

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 04:47 PM ----------

Personally, I prefer a RB that I'm pretty sure I'll get a 4-5 yard run just about out of every time and may pop some 10-20 yarders if they don't bring the safety and have to use their corners to contain. Get them to do that and they'll not be able to stop the passing game. I remember one game where Sander's Lions only scored 10 or so points. Barry had like 120 yards on 23 attempts but something like 3 went for 100+ yards and 1 TD and the other 20 got less than 20. They were in a passing situation on all 3rd downs because, unless they threw a complete pass on 1st or 2nd down, they were always in third and long.

Well He is a rookie and moving to a new position so have to look at it with microscope a little....plus he did'nt get the OTA's he needed.....

What I saw was They double teamed him early on with the running back... They held held him on a couple of plays as well. I thought he dropped back in coverage fluidly (can be difficult to backpedal when all you did your whole life was rush.) In at least 2 times I saw him cover the TE? quite nicely. The bad things I saw was they drove him hard on the TD play. He tried the outside rush several times and put himself out of the play doing so. And the worst thing i saw was he would go for the inside move and the RB go right were he was.

All in all not too bad

I think he will improve just his first NFL game. Looking foward to see what adjustments he/they makes for the game 2

HTTR

Watch Grossman at :55 and 1:15

Instant discredit to any "our oline made him look good" idiots.

Grossman played very well. He got rid of the ball when the pressure was on, certainly. The only real criticism on the day was the bootleg that starts at 3:40 -- the incomplete pass to Stallworth in the end zone. He was well covered by the Steelers CB and there was also nearby safety help PLUS a third defender in the area, but check out Fred Davis. Davis comes across the field from the right and is about as wide open as anyone ever gets in the NFL, directly in Grossman's line of sight at the first down line. Easy first down + another 10 yards or more with the RAC.

Now I realize that Grossman was maybe just "taking a shot in a preseason game", but how you you pass up the 20 easiest yards you'll get all game, when it's just staring you in the face?

Is that Stallworth? I think he’s triple-covered. You know what? F*** it. I’m throwing it downfield.

Yeah, I see Davis open at the first down marker. But f*** that. Dumpoff passes are for [sissies]. I’m f****** Sexy Rexy Grossman. :)

Archived