Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DallasNews.com: It's Bill Nagy's turn to try playing left guard in Dallas Cowboys' line

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110815-it_s-bill-nagy_s-turn-to-try-playing-left-guard-in-dallas-cowboys_line-.ece

By RAINER SABIN

The Cowboys continue their game of musical chairs in the offensive line.

Now at left guard: Bill Nagy. The rookie who has worked at center since the start of camp found himself working at guard with the starters in Monday's practice.

"Anytime I can get reps with the ones, it's definitely positive,'' Nagy said. "I was excited.''

Offensive line coach Hudson Houck cautioned reporters not to read too much into the move, saying the coaching staff just wants to see how different combinations look. But Houck did say that Nagy did a fine job in the pre-season opener against Denver, as did rookie David Arkin, who started at left guard.

This movement in the offensive line began when the Cowboys shifted Kyle Kosier from left to right guard to facilitate the development of first round pick Tyron Smith at right tackle. That put veteran Montrae Holland at left guard, but his back spasms have created a revolving door at the position.

Houck said Holland is considered the starter at left guard at this point. Head coach Jason Garrett said he doesn't know if Holland will be able to practice this week but is hopeful he'll return after the San Diego game.

Holland's injury has prevented the Cowboys from developing the continuity it prefers in the offensive line. It has also given Arkin and Nagy a chance they otherwise would not have gotten.

"We just want to see how they're doing individually and how they're playing together as an offensive line,'' Garrett said. "How they're communicating, what combinations work right in terms of guys playing next to each other and what kind of flexibility we have there.

"We'd rather have this thing resolved at all positions but a great part of training camp and pre-season is to give guys an opportunity to compete.''

Nagy has now been given that opportunity. The seventh round pick from Wisconsin certainly comes from a strong college program.

"I played more guard than center,'' Nagy said of college. "Right now, I'm more comfortable at guard than center. But I feel I made a whole lot of strides at center at the beginning of camp.

"I can do both.''

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 03:43 PM ----------

This is really a pity puke fans...not only will your defense suck, your qb is likely to be injured again this year because of another inferior o-line.

Imagine, last year at this time puke players were wondering who'd they be playing in the SB!

:rotflmao:

I didn't pay much attention to Nagy last week but Arkin got absolutely blown up on at least three plays. He had a couple of nice pulls but the Cowboys better hope Holland gets healthy or Nagy turns into something because I don't think they want to start the season with him starting.

I didn't pay much attention to Nagy last week but Arkin got absolutely blown up on at least three plays. He had a couple of nice pulls but the Cowboys better hope Holland gets healthy or Nagy turns into something because I don't think they want to start the season with him starting.

He will be a solid starter in the NFL from what i've seen and read. However, is still a year or two from that. Way too small right now.

He will be a solid starter in the NFL from what i've seen and read. However, is still a year or two from that. Way too small right now.

Linemen are a lot like receivers in the fact that it takes them a few years to get up to speed. So much of it is technique.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 05:51 PM ----------

Yeah, if we were counting on a 7th round pick to start at guard, the local media would be blasting our organization.

Instead, in Jerryworld, he has a strong pedigree.

Ain't that the truth. As much as Danny tried to copy Jerrah's model he sure missed the chapter on media relations.

Im telling you those idiots over at CZ are something else..lol they actually think their OL looked good against denver, one of the worst defenses in the NFL..I watched that game and Romo sits to pee was under pressure every single time..According to them tyron Smith is a beast..lol I saw him get beat atleast three times on the first series..

Im telling you those idiots over at CZ are something else..lol they actually think their OL looked good against denver, one of the worst defenses in the NFL..I watched that game and Romo sits to pee was under pressure every single time..According to them tyron Smith is a beast..lol I saw him get beat atleast three times on the first series..

It makes their inevitable that much more enjoyable to watch!

The Dallas o-line certainly didn't look good, but for a 20 year old rookie with 2 weeks of practice in his first game Tyron looked alright.and very athletic.

Whose defense were they playing against?

Oh...now, I remember.

:ols:

I forseee another Cabo vacation in Romo sits to pee's near future. Though to be fair this one will be a prescribed rehab.

Hail.

Did you see Romo sits to pee's bachelor party had NO alcohol? It's only on vacations in Cabo before big games that he drinks...:rotflmao:

It's just a matter of time before it comes out that the hide-and-seek game the 'boys' were playing was done without any clothes on.

:ols:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVtVrz4lBva9EZ8KqcsgQvAD6WUy2Cgb5nma5RUgm_IaVCWEB0

NOT that there's anything wrong with that...

Archived