Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: In the Shanahans’ eyes, John Beck is the Washington Redskins’ starting quarterback

azbear

z5dQc.png I've never heard Mike, Kyle, Rex or Beck say anything other then its an open competition.

The whole predetermined starter is a complete media fabrication and its contradictory to Mike Shanahan's nature as a coach.

Well, why would Shanny say that he's "staking his reputation" on John Beck's success if he wasn't hoping Beck wouldn't embarrass him and would win the job? Shanahan hasn't explicitly stated who is or isn't the starter, but he's been certainly hinting who he'd like to see win it. But that said, I don't think he's going to be dumb enough to insert a woefully ineffective Beck as the starter if Grossman is clearly better. But I do think the tie would go to Beck.

Blech, more JLCish nonsense coming from Reid. LOL @ the obvious contradictions that have been pointed out.....

Yeah, the media is totally overreaching on comments made by Shan during the lockout. I could be wrong, but I don't think teams could talk about players not under contract. McNabb - they knew was on the way out, and Beck was the only other qb under contract. So, shocker - coach didn't talk about Grossman.

Waist of paper...
Not if it's used in the bathroom!
Well played young man, well played.:applause:
One idiots opinion. That is all.
I'm not an expert on journalism/journalist or whatever, and I have no fondness for Jason Reid, but isn't a columnist suppose to give his opinion?

Some here actually seem to be affended that Reid works in their city, while others are offended that Reid even works.:ols:

Reid IMO simply seems to be doing what he gets paid to do. But, as Voice_of_Reason so brilliantly demonstrated below, he clearly has trouble doing so in any well constructed manner.

Not that I am any expert at that either.:silly:

This article was a complete contridiction.

1. Beck is the starter.

2. But Shanahan as the ultimate alpha male likes competition. So he's going to make him earn it.

3. But he's already made up his mind.

4. But he didn't announce it after the lockout because he wanted to see him under pressure.

5. But he knows his choice.

6. But in case Beck struggles, they can change their mind.

7. But IF Beck plays well, then he'll be the starter.

In some ways, there is no way for JReid to be wrong here. If Beck is crowned the starter, he can point to this and say, "See, told you so! It was determined from the beginning."

And if Grossman starts, then JReid gets to say, "See! They REALLY wanted him to be the starter, but he played his way out of it!"

I mean, in any scenario, JReid is "right."

I am now dumber having read this. Oh, and I don't really believe the premise to begin with. If it was pre-ordained, then just name Beck the starter and give him all the starter reps. By splitting reps, you "penalize" both guys. Would make zero sense. But since JReid generally makes zero sense, I guess it's par for the course.

:ols:I love the way that you formatted this.

I just wish that Reid could see it himself.

Could someone point me in the direction of Shanahan declaring that the starting job in 2011 belonged to John Beck?

Reid makes that claim. I still haven't heard it.

That’s what Redskins people have been saying privately for months, insisting Coach Mike Shanahan and his son, Kyle, the team’s offensive coordinator, have already selected their guy. That for better or worse, the Shanahans are rolling with Beck.
I think that Reid is getting his info from "Redskins people". Whatever the hell that means.:confused:

Who cares about any of this? We have football back in our lives. As with every camp, nobody knows who the starters will be, because an injury could occur any ole time. Indianapolis cannot even say who will start at QB for any given game because Manning is injured and how can anyone in the media know what the true injury status is on somebody else's body. So everybody just relax and enjoy Friday nights game regardless of who will start because EVERYBODY gets to play.........except the COMB. He can ride his bike until his bus ticket is ready.

Jason Reid is like a weather man, what he says is like guessing at what is really happening and then if he is right he pats himself on the back. But he will always make an excuse that something changed and that is why it did not happen the way he said it would.

I'm just trying to think about any possible outcome that would make Reid go back and say, "Hmm, this theory probably was not correct."

Basically, the only way that could happen is if Beck plays so incredibly dominantly in the next few preseason games that public opinion becomes such that the public is convinced he is the next Peyton Manning BUT the Shanahans start Grossman anyways. That would be the only way. Because if it is not universally obvious that Beck's play was better and Grossman starts then he can just say, "Well, Grossman played better and changed the Shanahans' minds." And if Beck starts, this theory can't be proven wrong even if it was wrong.

Oh lord, as soon as I saw who wrote the article, I closed it. Reid likes to pull **** out of his arse and calls it journalism. He no longer has McNabb and AH to write so now it's Beck time. Next article he will write Kelly might not make the team.

Beck was under contract during the lockout and Grossman wasn't. With McNabb in limbo, Shanahan had no choice, but to proclaim that Beck was the starter while the lockout was going on because he was leading the players in practice. Even if Shanahan said there would be a competition, we essentially had only 1 QB in camp.

This was posted in Bubba's Breaking News yesterday:

“I’ve staked my reputation on a lot of players throughout my career,” he says. “And when these people [become] players, people forget about that very quick. What do they say? ‘Oh, I knew he was going to be good.’ ”

You think Beck can be that guy?

“I know he can be that guy,” he says, slightly incredulous that you asked. “I don’t think he can be that guy. I know he can be that guy.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/mike-shanahan-believes-in-his-plan-for-the-redskins/2011/08/13/gIQALZKnDJ_story.html

z5dQc.png I've never heard Mike, Kyle, Rex or Beck say anything other then its an open competition.

The whole predetermined starter is a complete media fabrication and its contradictory to Mike Shanahan's nature as a coach.

Well, why would Shanny say that he's "staking his reputation" on John Beck's success if he wasn't hoping Beck wouldn't embarrass him and would win the job?

What does this have to do with my post? And for the record your quote is not accurate:

“You talk about a guy not being experienced — I believe in the guys,” Shanahan told reporters on Friday, per the Associated Press. “I believe in ‘em. And I’ve been doing this for a long time. And I put my reputation on these guys that they can play.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/29/shanahan-stakes-his-reputation-on-grossman-beck/

Shanahan hasn't explicitly stated who is or isn't the starter

That's the point I was making.

but he's been certainly hinting who he'd like to see win it..
I don't think Mike has hinted one way or another.

Other people have suggested that Mike/Kyle and like Beck but that's quite different from Reid's statement that "the fix is in".

But that said, I don't think he's going to be dumb enough to insert a woefully ineffective Beck as the starter if Grossman is clearly better. But I do think the tie would go to Beck

Hence the QB competition.

Which btw is what I said in my post.

You're actually agreeing with my post but taking a round about way to get there.

Could someone point me in the direction of Shanahan declaring that the starting job in 2011 belonged to John Beck?

Reid makes that claim. I still haven't heard it.

Total BS, he never said it. But like some others have said I also stopped reading his dribble a while ago, so he's irrelivant.

Pure BS by Jason Reid. Yes the coaches like Beck but nothing has been predetermined by mike or Kyle. Rex Grossman would not have been offered a multi year deal by the team.
UnWise Mike quotes Mike Shanahan saying about John Beck:

“I know he can be that guy,” he says, slightly incredulous that you asked. “I don’t think he can be that guy. I know he can be that guy.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/mike-shanahan-believes-in-his-plan-for-the-redskins/2011/08/13/gIQALZKnDJ_story.html

See page two of the article.

What do you think he meant by that?

Archived