Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best. Bacon. Ever

zoony

dude, you gotta try it. It really doesn't look that hard to do- just put it in with the grease and freeze it overnight. Fat congeals, leaving behind bacon-infused bourbon :D

It's on my list of things to do.

I have a ton of mid grade bourbon just sitting around and the hurricane is gonna ruin the weekend, so I might give it a whirl.

If it turns out well it will be making an ES Tailgate appearance.

I ordered two packs of this and received it the other day. Had some with pork chops and white wine sautéed spinach. The flavor of the bacon is wonderful.

I make jalepeno poppers stuffed with skinless chicken breast wrapped with bacon on the grill. They are great with regular bacon. I'm going to give these a shot with this new bacon. I imagine they will be out of this world.

Just cooked it today, great flavor but cooking it in the oven set off the smoke alarm, I could not imagine how much some it would produce when I fry it, I may rethink that.

again- low heat, you will get minimal to no smoke. But lots and lots of smell. The grease doesn't smoke unless it gets to a certain temp- which is what you want to avoid.

Come on guys... say it with me... low heat, low heat, low heat!!! :silly:

again- low heat, you will get minimal to no smoke. But lots and lots of smell. The grease doesn't smoke unless it gets to a certain temp- which is what you want to avoid.

Come on guys... say it with me... low heat, low heat, low heat!!! :silly:

Absolutely, and then you get that delicious chewy-but-not-rubbery texture to boot. :drool:

Got my Benton's bacon last night. Went to the farmers market this morning to pick up some heirloom tomatoes, fresh sourdough and crisp romaine for a BLT.

Came back and lay the rashers in a cold, cast-iron frying pan which I put on low heat. Sliced the bread and tomatoes and made an espresso while waiting for the bacon to cook. Did my best not to overcook the piglets, rested them on a paper towel, and broke off a bit of fat and flesh to try before putting the rest in the sandwich.

The flavor was intense. If you have a sensitive palate, you may be put off by the extremely rich smokiness. It took me a couple of bites before I started making out the subtler flavors of the smoke and the great savory pork taste. I'd hazard to say that if you're used to supermarket bacon (waterlogged and nitrate-ridden), you'd be wasting your money going straight to this bacon. You'd probably love it, but it'd be like buying a $150 bottle of wine when you've just started exploring wines. This is complex, beautiful food that keeps on giving - and if you don't know what you're looking for, you might miss a lot of the greatness.

The wood-smoke flavor had a massive depth and kick to it that fake smoke flavors just don't come anywhere near. You feel as though your mouth is full even when you're chewing a tiny piece. My nostrils were actually burning a little bit with the smoke flavor, and hours later I can still taste the flavor in the back of my throat.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I wouldn't eat this bacon next to my eggs. It's just too powerful. Putting it in a BLT was a great recommendation; the sweetness of the tomato and crunchiness of the lettuce cut through the salt and smoke nicely. I would also use this bacon in a gumbo or jambalaya - but not cut it too small, because the chewy texture of the pork is fantastic. I'm not sure what meats would stand up to being wrapped by this bacon - possibly chicken on the bone or a lamb backstrap. It would overwhelm anything subtle, such as most seafood.

Thanks for the recommendation, zoony. My family will be enjoying this bacon, in small portions, for weeks.

Got my Benton's bacon last night. Went to the farmers market this morning to pick up some heirloom tomatoes, fresh sourdough and crisp romaine for a BLT.

Came back and lay the rashers in a cold, cast-iron frying pan which I put on low heat. Sliced the bread and tomatoes and made an espresso while waiting for the bacon to cook. Did my best not to overcook the piglets, rested them on a paper towel, and broke off a bit of fat and flesh to try before putting the rest in the sandwich.

The flavor was intense. If you have a sensitive palate, you may be put off by the extremely rich smokiness. It took me a couple of bites before I started making out the subtler flavors of the smoke and the great savory pork taste. I'd hazard to say that if you're used to supermarket bacon (waterlogged and nitrate-ridden), you'd be wasting your money going straight to this bacon. You'd probably love it, but it'd be like buying a $150 bottle of wine when you've just started exploring wines. This is complex, beautiful food that keeps on giving - and if you don't know what you're looking for, you might miss a lot of the greatness.

The wood-smoke flavor had a massive depth and kick to it that fake smoke flavors just don't come anywhere near. You feel as though your mouth is full even when you're chewing a tiny piece. My nostrils were actually burning a little bit with the smoke flavor, and hours later I can still taste the flavor in the back of my throat.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I wouldn't eat this bacon next to my eggs. It's just too powerful. Putting it in a BLT was a great recommendation; the sweetness of the tomato and crunchiness of the lettuce cut through the salt and smoke nicely. I would also use this bacon in a gumbo or jambalaya - but not cut it too small, because the chewy texture of the pork is fantastic. I'm not sure what meats would stand up to being wrapped by this bacon - possibly chicken on the bone or a lamb backstrap. It would overwhelm anything subtle, such as most seafood.

Thanks for the recommendation, zoony. My family will be enjoying this bacon, in small portions, for weeks.

wow dude. I think my word was "incredibly rich" flavor. Yours was much better :notworthy

That was some seriously good food writing, you should look into a blog. I'd read it

I came home this evening, and as I walked into the kitchen I caught the faint but distinctive whisper of hickory smoke. On the kitchen table was a UPS package. The aroma was escaping from that sealed package... just a whiff. It wafted through the room, gently pushed around by the ceiling fan.

It's like Christmas in August.

How thick is the Bacon?

I cook mine in the oven typically unless I'm making Hot German Potato Salad which requires the grease. But in order to get a lot of grease, the bacon needs to be thick cut.

I like to eat the bacon chewy. The rest of my family likes it crispy. When I bake it, it allows the meat and edges to get crispy, but the fat remains chewy.

Here's the recipe for the hot german potato salad. I make this for pot lucks at work, and it's typically the only dish that gets totally consumed.

12 potatoes

9 slices bacon

3/4 cup chopped onions

2 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

3/4 cup water

2/3 cup distilled white vinegar

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool and slice thin.

Cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy. Drain, crumble and set aside, Keep grease in pan.

Saute onions in bacon drippings until they are golden-brown.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper.

Add to the onions and cook and stir until bubbly, then remove from heat.

Stir in water and vinegar, then return to the stove and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Boil and stir for one minute.

Stir bacon and sliced potatoes into the vinegar/water mixture, stirring gently until potatoes are heated through.

It was finally time. I was going to have this bacon. I put on some background music and carefully unsheathed the rasher. The pan was cold at first as I gently laid the strips down upon it. Soon the heat coursed through the meat, and things began to bubble. My heart began pumping faster as the aroma of the bacon slowly filled the air. I sliced the tomatoes while the bacon gurgled in the pan.

My breathing became faster as the meaty strips became firmer from the heat. Soon the strips were stiff and shiny, ready to be plucked from the pan. I lifted them up and set them down on the bread, glistening with white pearls of mayonnaise. My breathing was ragged and shallow now, my heart thump thump thumping in anticipation of the sensual pleasure to come. The tomato slices were mounted atop the bacon, the tomato juice seeping over but not diminishing the meaty firmness of the strips.

Cool lettuce blanketed the marriage of bacon and tomato, then another slice of bread completed the impressive package. As my lips parted a slight moan escaped as I brought the beautiful creation to my mouth. Yada yada yada. Then I washed dishes and took a shower.

;)

Archived