Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flash Mob Robbery at Germantown, MD 7-11 Store

grhqofb5

It's sad to have to say that, but this is just so absurd and upsets me so much. These idiots think they can do anything they want and they're safe if there's a bunch of them. I say shoot some of them to send a message that you're not going to put up with that type of bull****. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if doing so escalated things to the point where the ring leaders of this crap would begin arming themselves and it turns into a showdown at the OK corral type of situation.

Right now, I agree 100% with Philly implementing a curfew for teenagers and I think other cities where this is becoming a problem should do the same. In addition, I think police officers need to be more active in monitoring and breaking up large groups of teenagers. Just like people can no longer congregate near the front bathrooms in a plane, I don't think, in places where these flash mobs have become a major issue, large groups of people should not be able to form outside of social/cultural events. At least for the time being, until police can wrangle control over this situation.

You do realize that they stole candy, soda, and ice cream right? Pulling a gun in this situation would have made it far worse. Just imagine the cost of legal defense when the wrongful death lawsuits came in or the community outrage directed at your store when stories of the sweet little angels gunned down over a pack of gum flooded the newspapers. In terms of business and personal safety doing nothing was the smart decision here.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 06:39 PM ----------

Teen islands didn't help Norway :doh:

Too soon, bud.

That is not a robbery, shoplifting yes

Either way, kids these days dont care..but I hope they catch most of them

Its a felony once you add everything up. These people where obviously in cahoots so you can charge them all across the board.

Its a felony once you add everything up. These people where obviously in cahoots so you can charge them all across the board.

Doesnt it have to be over a certain amount of $ to be considered a felony? I highly doubt they took enough candy and ice cream to be considered a felony

Ahh found it, anything over $1000 is a felony in MD, anything under 1000 is a misdemeanor.

http://www.maryland-defense-lawyer.com/MdShopliftingTheftLaws.htm

I am no lawyer but each individual would have to be charged separately no? Unless it was a mob killing or something

Doesnt it have to be over a certain amount of $ to be considered a felony? I highly doubt they took enough candy and ice cream to be considered a felony

Ahh found it, anything over $1000 is a felony in MD

And I bet if you tally it all up, couple $100, theft under $300 plus conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor?

Call 911, lock the front doors to trap the kids in, lock yourself in a back office, wait for the police to arrive to arrest the punks.
But what have they done to get arrested? Use their clothes as grocery carts?

Yeah, unless the kids actually leave the store, you can claim they were GOING to shoplift, but if you can't prove that (say all the kids say they were hanging out and were all hungry) then you could be charged with something like kidnapping if you get the wrong parent/DA combo.

You do realize that they stole candy, soda, and ice cream right? Pulling a gun in this situation would have made it far worse. Just imagine the cost of legal defense when the wrongful death lawsuits came in or the community outrage directed at your store when stories of the sweet little angels gunned down over a pack of gum flooded the newspapers. In terms of business and personal safety doing nothing was the smart decision here.

You're right, the store owner would have been nailed for using excessive force. He really had no choice but to sit there and stare at his watch waiting for the cops to arrive. He's lucky one of the little thugs didn't take a free shot at him.

Ahh found it, anything over $1000 is a felony in MD, anything under 1000 is a misdemeanor.

I am no lawyer but each individual would have to be charged separately no? Unless it was a mob killing or something

I would think they could easily prove that it was a conspiratorial act.

I guess if you add it all up it is under $1000, so it probably was not a felony, but they could certainly add them all together if they where in cahoots. If two people held up a store and walked out with a combined $1100 worth of stuff, they would not say they stole $550 each.

What a bunch of punks. Gotta wonder if any in their lives taught them any kind of manner or consideration.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 03:24 PM ----------

I couldn't help but notice that every kid in that video is black. What should we make of that, if anything?

That Dr. King is rolling in his grave and screaming in agony?

That is not a robbery, shoplifting yes

Either way, kids these days dont care..but I hope they catch most of them

By definition, this is more likely robbery. No doubt that property is being taken from the custodian in his presence, the only question is really whether this method would put a reasonable person "in fear." A mob of 30 people would almost certainly satisfy that element, even if they are only teenagers.

First, all of the items stolen and damages count. Also, they would be charged as a group (just like if 10 people rob a bank, they don't get to divide the amount stolen and try to make it a misdemeanor.

Next, it is robbery. Robbery (def): Criminal law the stealing of property from a person by using or threatening to use force.

I swear some of you guys just make stuff up. haha.

I agree with keeastman, shoot first. Candy, soda, whatever, still my property.

You are ok with shooting teenages who commit theft, but only want to use police as a last resort against teens who commit sex crimes?

Police involved ? Not unless the parents do nothing to discipline these kids and likewise embarrass them.

Makes a lot of sense.

I watched the video. I'm still okay with a shop owner using force. I wouldn't say kill the kids in this situation, but scaring the crap out of some of them would be good. Anyone wants to try to attack you for pulling out a gun, shoot them. I'd be a very sympathetic juror to the shop owner/clerk.

Archived