Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flash Mob Robbery at Germantown, MD 7-11 Store

grhqofb5

My wife lived in Germantown when I met her. Her neighborhood was great when she moved there, but in about 4 years it was quickly becoming a ghetto. She got out at the right time. A buddy of mine was buying a house there and I cautioned him against it. Worst move of his life. He took a pounding on his house to get out.

This actually hits a bit close to home for me (literally). I'm from Darnestown (about 4 miles from Germantown) originally, grew up in the area, have family who work in Germantown, etc. I understand the "kids will be kids" argument, but of course this crosses the line. On the other hand, don't see it as being something to be overly concerned about right now.

Germantown went from crap to okay and then back. Same with the area around FedEx.

It was never a good place to live.

Stupid kids and pathetic that someone would organize this type of thing to steal for pennies.

Is there a message that is supposed to be sent from this ?

Germantown went from crap to okay and then back. Same with the area around FedEx.

It was never a good place to live.

Stupid kids and pathetic that someone would organize this type of thing to steal for pennies.

Is there a message that is supposed to be sent from this ?

Maybe the point here is that, as a society, there are certain people that are more inclined to "take" when they believe they can get away with it. Not that there haven't always been. Problem is now that with mass communication, these types can organize better. Parental supervision is a component, but parents can't hover over their kids 24/7, nor should they. The most troubling part of this is simply the fact that so many participated.

Maybe the solution is to offer a reward to any individual who alerts police prior to this type of organized criminal act. Waive $500.00 in front of a 17 year old and you'll be suprised how many will bite. Just forward the text message to the local PD. Make the collection/verification process discreet as well.

On the heels of large groups of kids attacking white people outside of a Wisconsin state fair, (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/8583-flash-mob-attacks-at-wis-fair-police-to-file-hate-crimes-charges), teens attacking people in Philly (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-kefalas-and-patrick-carr/philadelphia-teen-mobs_b_927260.html), and all of the nonsense that is going on in London, it really isn't too much of a surprise that mainly young people feel they can commit crimes like that.

Sadly, I agree 100% with keeastman. It is OK with me if potential victims fight back, even with guns. After a few of these 'kids' get shot and killed, I predict these types of acts will go away.

On the heels of large groups of kids attacking white people outside of a Wisconsin state fair, (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/8583-flash-mob-attacks-at-wis-fair-police-to-file-hate-crimes-charges), teens attacking people in Philly (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-kefalas-and-patrick-carr/philadelphia-teen-mobs_b_927260.html), and all of the nonsense that is going on in London, it really isn't too much of a surprise that mainly young people feel they can commit crimes like that.

Sadly, I agree 100% with keeastman. It is OK with me if potential victims fight back, even with guns. After a few of these 'kids' get shot and killed, I predict these types of acts will go away.

I'm not advocating violence, but will happen is that one of these groups will try this at the wrong store, and someone will get shot by the clerk (or more likely the store owner, who is working behind the counter and has more incentive to protect his business). It's only a matter of time.

This just proves my theory that we should pass a law allowing flash mobs to be shot on sight. Nothing good can come from the types of people that participate in flash mobs gathering in large groups.

How does one distinguish a flash mob from a large group of teenagers?

It's sad to have to say that, but this is just so absurd and upsets me so much. These idiots think they can do anything they want and they're safe if there's a bunch of them. I say shoot some of them to send a message that you're not going to put up with that type of bull****. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if doing so escalated things to the point where the ring leaders of this crap would begin arming themselves and it turns into a showdown at the OK corral type of situation.

Right now, I agree 100% with Philly implementing a curfew for teenagers and I think other cities where this is becoming a problem should do the same. In addition, I think police officers need to be more active in monitoring and breaking up large groups of teenagers. Just like people can no longer congregate near the front bathrooms in a plane, I don't think, in places where these flash mobs have become a major issue, large groups of people should not be able to form outside of social/cultural events. At least for the time being, until police can wrangle control over this situation.

My wife lived in Germantown when I met her. Her neighborhood was great when she moved there, but in about 4 years it was quickly becoming a ghetto. She got out at the right time. A buddy of mine was buying a house there and I cautioned him against it. Worst move of his life. He took a pounding on his house to get out.

Its funny you said that since Silver Spring has more crime than Germantown...

Archived