Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sober and feeling good... so far, long road ahead.

frostyj

I don't post all that much, but I have met a few of ya'll at the '10 draftday party and some of the tailgates last year.

Well, I don't know what makes me not able to control how much I drink, but I'm at a point where I have to stop, I only have 8 days of sobriety now, doing on day at a time(I used to drink most of a 1/5 of rum plus a # of beers a night). Just got out of my detox program Sat morning. Will continue with an intensive out patient program for the next 20 weeks.

Crazy thing is, I just got season tickets, was ont the waiting list for 6 years.(and got them before I had my revelation or what ever it was) I'm gonna go to most games and swing by the tailgate, but I'd be lying if its not gonna be a little tough. But I am determined to do it, an to reprogram myself to have fun without.

I'll be at the season opener and the tailgate, if there is anyone who doesnt drink but goes to the tailgate please feel free to PM me, would just like to get some tips or just know who ya are. I'm not one to condem anyone, it's just something I can't/wont do anymore.

BTW, I'll talk to anyone drinking or not. If I don't talk to you it's probably 'cause I just don't like you!! :silly: See ya'll on the 11th!!

I actually can't believe I'm posting this, but I have been here long enough I feel that I know a lot of you. Crazy internet forums!!

:logo: Thanks an HTTR!! :helmet:

:giantsuck:

The first part of solving a problem, is identifying the problem.

From there, it gets easier. Trust me, as I am close to being 8 months clean from narcotic pain pills.

After taking pills for almost 10 years (serious car accident, three total mouth rebuilds and a metal plate installed in my jaw) it was easy to stop, once I recognized the problem.

Take it one day at a time. Each day you are clean, is progress, but know one beer, one sip of rum, or a taste of wine will set you back, and you have to start over again.

Stay away from anything that "triggers" the thought of wanting to drink and make sure you surround yourself with an excellent support group to help you in anyway.

You made a good choice, and you are right, it is a LONG road, but stay the course, and the payoff is worth it.

Signed,

A recovering drug addict

You should be proud of yourself for taking that first step. It sounds like you have the honest desire to see it through and that's really important. Commitment is everything when the going gets tough. From your attitude, I believe you can do it.

All the best.

First, congratulations.

Second, although the ES/RR Tailgate has more alcohol than the halls of Valhalla, it is indeed possible to enjoy it without having any. I know this because I do it every week, though my personal issue is that I just don't like the taste of alcohol (although I did have a cherry beer I liked in Belgium a few days ago).

More to the point, and I know she won't mind me sharing this because she's been very open about it with everyone, Karla (georgiaredskin) is a recovering addict and does not drink either. In fact, she and David have a special cooler for non-alcoholic beverages only that she uses.

You're more than welcome to hang out with us (as well as everybody else, I am quite sure).

Best wishes, frostman---I have spent many years working with chemical dependency and it's been a big part of my family history. And in the past I have had my own times of questionable judgment when it comes to consumption of various substances, especially alcohol. :D

Some folks can spend a lot of time in venues where liquor and intoxicated folks are part of the scene without feeling compelled to join and others can't. Some who can't are still safe if in a group of like-minded folk as such scenes (or at least one or two such compatriots) and some just need to avoid those places and situations altogether (a lesser percentage IME). Do what you have come to know presents the least harm to yourself and those you care about, and use the support of others as one of your primary tools. God luck amigo! ;)

Congrats and good luck to you. I would suggest taking Techboy's advice and hanging out w/ the people who don't drink (especially the first few games). That's not to say you can't talk to everyone you'd like to, but just have a group of non drinkers there that you can resort back to if you start to feel weak or need some support.

Thank you all for the support, it really means a lot to me. I was in denial and just plain lying to myself. I'm feeling good, but still have some withdrawal symptoms, I hear that can linger for a few months. I have a growing support network from going to the meetings.

This is why I love ES, I have only met a handful of ya'll, but it seems I know most of the people who post the most. Thanks again for the encouraging and kind words of support! HAIL!!

Congrats, frosty. You've made a great, and tough decision. Some things I've learned in the last 3 months (nicotine):

1. One day at a time. Forever is too hard for an addict to handle. Wake up, set your mind on staying sober for that day, and make it to bedtime. Then do it again.

2. Find or create a support system that will hold you accountable. Addicts are great at rationalizing drug usage. Find people who have been there that can see through the crap and keep you honest.

3. Life is better when you're not controlled by something else. There's a period of suck. There will be craves. There will be some awkward situations. At some point, your brain re-wires itself and adjusts to your new normal.

4. The myth of "just one ain't going to hurt" is your addict brain talking. The law of addiction states that "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance.". Just one. You need to get to the point where you've completely closed the door to alcohol for good. Burn your boats... There's no going back.

5. For me, it feels really good to finally be imposing my will on my life instead of being out of control. I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything... I honestly feel liberated from a self imposed isolation. Weird, I guess, but as a recovering addict, you might get it.

Again, congrats. Let me know if I can help in any way. I have different demons, but I know what it's like to fight em.

Congrats on taking the first step. Been sober myself since 1993 and would be more than happy to "talk" if you ever need to bend an ear. I remember sitting at an AA meeting maybe 45 days sober or so and this little old lady was celebrating 50 years sobriety (she had actually known Bill Wilson the cofounder of AA). Afterwards she came up to me and asked me if I wanted to know her secret for staying sober. I thought here it is, finally somebody is going to tell me how to do it. She says stay away from 1 drink for 1 day. It's not the 6th or 10th or whatever drink that gets us in trouble...it's always the first cause without that one there can't be 2nd or 3rd....

Congrats, you've heard it before and I'm going to say it again. You've taken the hardest steps, not that the rest are easy by any means but the hardest are behind you.

I too have fought demons in the past and am better and stronger for having fought that fight, if you need to talk just let me know.

Good Luck and take it one minute at a time, I found that one day at a time gave me to much wiggle room.

I am not an alcoholic but I gradually became a non-drinker over the last 4-5 years and as of right now I cannot remember the last time I had a drink of alcohol. I just began to not feel like it anymore and the "recovery time" from a night of drinking had gone from 6-7 hours to 2-3 days. Anyway, I digress.

I think you are doing the right thing, Frosty! Alcohol is a burden IMHO. Leave it in the rear view mirror! You will be surprised how much better you will be, physically, mentally, and believe it or not- emotionally. Keep it up.

Good luck, bro. A week in is a good start. :)

I used to drink way too much, to the point where I was drinking every day. It was extremely hard to stop, and honestly, the cravings for alcohol had me feeling like a crackhead. The voice in my head kept telling me "just one more bottle, today will be your last time drinking."

Eventually I broke free of the addiction and feeling much better. I'm sure you'll do the same!

Archived