Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rhapsody or iTunes: Which do you prefer?

Bubble Screen

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Amazon.com .99 or .89 cent downloads and an unrestricted mp3 file that I have TOTAL control over. Why would I pay Apple more to get a highly restricted mp4 that I can only use on my iTunes account? I even use my mp3's in audio editing for my radio program something that I can't do with an mp4.

I really only use Spotify. $10/month for unlimited streaming is wonderful. I am still part of the minority that buys CD's. With hard drive space increasing drastically and prices staying reasonable, there isn't really a reason NOT to import music as FLAC files or at bare minimum 320kbps mp3. People love HD video, why not full resolution audio?

Amazon.com .99 or .89 cent downloads and an unrestricted mp3 file that I have TOTAL control over. Why would I pay Apple more to get a highly restricted mp4 that I can only use on my iTunes account? I even use my mp3's in audio editing for my radio program something that I can't do with an mp4.

I'm with you, when I buy music online it's through Amazon, I don't need want restrictions on where and on what I can play my music.

Everyone will vote iTunes because they have only ever had iTunes. The reality is Rhapsody allows you to buy songs for $.99 AND/OR stream unlimited music/transfer it to a mobile device for only $10/month. Rhapsody gives you the best of both worlds and you don't have to be confined to an iPod. Rhapsody is the superior service for anyone not brainwashed by Apple.

Everyone will vote iTunes because they have only ever had iTunes. The reality is Rhapsody allows you to buy songs for $.99 AND/OR stream unlimited music/transfer it to a mobile device for only $10/month. Rhapsody gives you the best of both worlds and you don't have to be confined to an iPod. Rhapsody is the superior service for anyone not brainwashed by Apple.

But Amazon is cheaper to download songs from and using a streaming service like Spotify or Pandora is free. Yeah I have to use 2 different prorgrams, but it saves money.

I stream music for free from youtube and pandora. Why would you pay to stream ? Do you record/download the streams ?

I use Amazon and Rhapsody to download though.

Cheap, safe, and the files work on my player.

Streaming from YouTube yields no payment for artists or labels unless it is an officially endorsed page and I am sure that even if it does yield payment it is incredibly low. Take a look at how many views Rebecca black got on Friday and look at the income from it. I am not saying her song is good only that the plays to money ratio is ridiculous.

Spotify is free for 10 hours of music per month for a pretty deep music catalog. $10/month buys you higher quality streams, no commercials and unlimited access on a computer or mobile device. It also pays artists. It may be a small amount but at least thy get paid and it is a legal streaming service and provides a source of revenue for artists and labels.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 12:01 PM ----------

I don't know that it's a matter of being brainwashed or not. iTunes is more convenient for the millions of Mac and iOS users. But maybe I am wrong.

Streaming from YouTube yields no payment for artists or labels unless it is an officially endorsed page and I am sure that even if it does yield payment it is incredibly low. Take a look at how many views Rebecca black got on Friday and look at the income from it. I am not saying her song is good only that the plays to money ratio is ridiculous.

Spotify is free for 10 hours of music per month for a pretty deep music catalog. $10/month buys you higher quality streams, no commercials and unlimited access on a computer or mobile device. It also pays artists. It may be a small amount but at least thy get paid and it is a legal streaming service and provides a source of revenue for artists and labels.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 12:01 PM ----------

I don't know that it's a matter of being brainwashed or not. iTunes is more convenient for the millions of Mac and iOS users. But maybe I am wrong.

If you have a Mac then that's different since you almost have no choice although you can just use Rhapsody's online service which is the same thing.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

But Amazon is cheaper to download songs from and using a streaming service like Spotify or Pandora is free. Yeah I have to use 2 different prorgrams, but it saves money.

Well, I'm merely discussing Rhapsody vs. iTunes. If you find a combo works better, go for it.

Blackest, on youtube, I just watch videos or listen to a song before paying for it.

As big as youtube is...why do artists have youtube videos ?

EDIT: I do not know who Rebecca Black is.

Yeah but that's because the Big 4 finally all came to agreements with Youtube for allowing the music on the site.

I stream music for free from youtube and pandora. Why would you pay to stream ? Do you record/download the streams ?

I use Amazon and Rhapsody to download though.

Cheap, safe, and the files work on my player.

Not sure if you were referring to spotify as pay for streaming, but it is free too. You can upgrade and purchase products that allow you to get certain access. Spotify is not just streaming though, its sorta a mix between iTunes and Facebook and Pandora.

<edit> I am still part of the minority that buys CD's. With hard drive space increasing drastically and prices staying reasonable, there isn't really a reason NOT to import music as FLAC files or at bare minimum 320kbps mp3. People love HD video, why not full resolution audio?
Absolutely. 320kpps should be a minimum. Whether you are on headphones, in the car, or at home, as long as the playback system is fairly good quality the differences in audio quality of higher resolution bit rates are substantial. Even on standard earbuds the diff between 128, 256, and 320 are not hard to notice with well-recorded source material. In fact, it's silly to have any real money in your playback gear and settle for 128/256 other than for tunes where compression or other recording techniques are employed with little regard for audio (fidelity) quality to begin with.

Absolutely. 320kpps should be a minimum. Whether you are on headphones, in the car, or at home, as long as the playback system is fairly good quality the differences in audio quality of higher resolution bit rates are substantial. Even on standard earbuds the diff between 128, 256, and 320 are not hard to notice with well-recorded source material. In fact, it's silly to have any real money in your playback gear and settle for 128/256 other than for tunes where compression or other recording techniques are employed with little regard for audio (fidelity) quality to begin with.

If you don't use FLAC at this point when available, you's a noob.

I really don't get why more people don't use Amazon. The songs are cheaper, the CDs are cheaper, and it goes right onto your iTunes. Plus now with the Amazon Cloud Player, you don't really even need iTunes.

Me personally, I use Google Music to listen to my songs. It syncs up with my iTunes and I can listen to Google Music anywhere. It works on my phone and any computer, so no matter where I am, I always have all my songs. I also use Pandora to stream stuff too. I have Spotify as well, but haven't used it much yet.

Archived