Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

csnwashington: Redskins Day After: Who increased stock

http://www.csnwashington.com/08/13/11/Redskins-Day-After-Who-increased-stock/landing_redskins_loud3r.html?blockID=548606&feedID=272

(also in Bubba's Breaking News forum)

Six Who Helped Themselves

1. QB Rex Grossman: If the Redskins’ Quarterback Derby is in fact a true, wide-open competition in which the best player will be named the starter, it has to be Rex 1, John Beck 0. Grossman played the entire first half, completing 19 of 26 passing for 207 yards and one touchdown. He spread the football around, didn’t commit any turnovers and when under pressure, made the proper decisions.

2. RB Tim Hightower: Acquired two weeks ago from Arizona, Hightower has taken advantage of Ryan Torain’s broken hand. He started Friday night and rushed 10 times for 44 yards. Just as important, he performed well in pass protection, a must for a player who, if Torain is healthy, will be relied upon to play on third down. Hightower showed his north-south running style and it’s like he almost relishes contact.

3. DL Jarvis Jenkins: The second-round pick has flashed on the practice field and he translated it to when the lights came on. He was on the field with the starters by the second series and although he didn’t make a tackle, he had a quarterback hit and didn’t seem overwhelmed by the competition. He also showed versatility by playing at more than one spot along the defensive line.

Offense (first half only – 38 snaps)

Analysis: ...During Hightower’s 16-yard run, Chester got away with a hold on Casey Hampton. … Hightower gained 11 yards on the next play. The key blocks was Davis on linebacker LaMarr Woodley, Lichtensteiger cutting Hampton and Montgomery getting to the second level to account for linebacker James Farrior. … Young’s first catch was a fine play. He made the reception 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He side-stepped linebacker Lawrence Timmons at the 23, spin moved his way around safety Ryan Mundy at the 29 and ran through defensive end Brett Keisel at the 13. The end result was a 16-yard gain. …Grossman’s 8-yard touchdown throw to Moss looked doomed at the start. Montgomery’s shotgun snap was low and the Steelers rushed seven. But Hightower accounted for defensive end Cameron Heyward and the Redskins took a 7-0 lead.

A whole lot more at the link...

I'm not surprised at all about Hightower's performance thus far..

A lot of the articles about Hightower were about how he was fumbling in practice. I was glad to see that he protected the ball in game situations. That was one thing I was hoping to see happen. If he keeps it up and plays the way he did in this game, we may have stolen him.

A lot of the articles about Hightower were about how he was fumbling in practice. I was glad to see that he protected the ball in game situations. That was one thing I was hoping to see happen. If he keeps it up and plays the way he did in this game, we may have stolen him.

This was especially good to see considering the depth there and Torain's injury history.

And the not excited to be mentioned here part.....

Three Who Hurt Themselves

1. K Shayne Graham: The aforementioned Graham had a rough night. His 29-yarder was so wide left, it missed the kicking net. His 49-yarder at the end of the first half had the distance but was wide right. Does he make it through the week?

2. PR Aldrick Robinson: Late-round draft choices at a position of depth can’t afford to have the kind of game Robinson had – both of his chances returning punts saw the football hit the turf.

3. WR Malcolm Kelly: It’s not like we’re trying to pile on the guy but Kelly had to know – he should have absolutely known – at the outset of camp that he needed to be able to play in the games because of the draft picks used and free agent/trade pieces added at his spot. A foot injury kept him on the sideline.

We did steal him Hap. I know some felt as though the Jarmon for Gaffney trade was a steal, but IMO, it was far from it. Hightower for Vonnie and what I presume to be a later round pick is a steal.

Great breakdowns on plays in this article. I noticed Darrel Young's name several times, I think he makes it just on special teams. There are going to be some difficult decisions made at the end of camp.

Special teams

First kickoff coverage: Gano, Austin, Armstrong, Alexander, Blades, Sellers, R. Jackson, Riley, K. Williams, Westbrook and Horton.

First punt return: Banks, Barnes, Buchanon, F. Davis, Alexander, Westbrook, Blades, Paul, Young, R. Jackson, K. Williams.

First punt coverage: Rocca, Sundberg, Westbrook, Austin, Alexander, Sellers, Doughty, Riley, Blades, Horton and Young.

First kickoff return: Banks, K. Williams, Davis, Sellers, Alexander, Paulsen, Young, Blades, Doughty, Riley and McIntosh.

Analysis: Banks’ 19-yard punt return was aided by Young’s big block on Niles Brinkley

I actually disagree that Rex "made the right decisions".

He made quite a few bad ones that we got lucky didn't turn into turnovers. That said, that's him as a QB. Capable of leading a team, but also capable of hurting a team with turnovers. When he makes mistakes, if they don't turn into turnovers, you're going to be overall happy with the outcome. If they turn into turnovers, it could cost us. He had a few passes that were ill advised. One of which bounced off a Steeler's LBs hands, another was to the back of a Steelers player. He also missed a wide open Fred Davis 20 yards down field on a Naked Boot pass off outside zone action and threw to the end zone to a double covered receiver.

He made quite a few bad ones that we got lucky didn't turn into turnovers. That said, that's him as a QB. Capable of leading a team, but also capable of hurting a team with turnovers. When he makes mistakes, if they don't turn into turnovers, you're going to be overall happy with the outcome. If they turn into turnovers, it could cost us. He had a few passes that were ill advised. One of which bounced off a Steeler's LBs hands, another was to the back of a Steelers player. He also missed a wide open Fred Davis 20 yards down field on a Naked Boot pass off outside zone action and threw to the end zone to a double covered receiver.

And that play cost the team points. Stallworth could have dove but the ball was overthrown. Thankfully because if underthrown it would have been picked. Davis was completely wide open and should have been the right choice.

He also made a brilliant play where he fielded a bad snap, saw the rush, had to throw off his back foot and delivered a strike to Moss for six. :)

Not to mention he had total command of the offense, got rid of the ball quickly and in some cases made the OL look good. If I can have this Rex during the regular season? I'll gladly take it.

The two plays that stand out to me are the overthrown go routes by Big Ben and Leftwich. Hall and Wilson were smoked and those two plays alone should've been the difference in the game. But than again, I think Atogwe will be a difference maker at FS.

He also made a brilliant play where he fielded a bad snap, saw the rush, had to throw off his back foot and delivered a strike to Moss for six. :)

Not to mention he had total command of the offense, got rid of the ball quickly and in some cases made the OL look good. If I can have this Rex during the regular season? I'll gladly take it.

The two plays that stand out to me are the overthrown go routes by Big Ben and Leftwich. Hall and Wilson were smoked and those two plays alone should've been the difference in the game. But than again, I think Atogwe will be a difference maker at FS.

Sadly I think that fell on Horton for the one play if not the other. I say sadly because I was hoping he would return to the Predator status.

NFL needs to make a rule that all these guys with dreads must cut their hair. They look ridicul

ous.

I was thinkin' the exact same thing. Make it punishable via fine if any part of your name is covered by hair.

I don't get that look. Dreads are hideous...Who the **** wants to look like Predator on purpose?

It's nice to see ESPN did not drive the storyline on Grossman. After the game, in their feedback on the game, Herm Edwards basically dismissed Rex saying he played ok, I guess. It was as if he was basically going to say he couldn't play, but realized that would have been silly, so he dismissed the ok play by essentially glossing over it and calling a 75 percent completion percentage OK. Now we are seeing stories about Grossman really doing well. And he did. As some say, he did have one bad decision that didn't hurt us. Otherwise he did enough to make you think we're ok at that spot.

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 09:52 AM ----------

clint_eastwood_gran_torino.jpg

Get off my lawn!

And enough with the tats in hoops.

I like Clint.

Archived