Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Donte Stallworth needs to make this team

SteveFromYellowstone

Moss, Armstrong, and Gaffney are locks.

Hankerson will make the team if only because he's a 3rd round pick this year and there is no way you cut someone chosen that high.

Banks, if he can keep returning like that, will make the team as well.

That doesn't really leave any spots open. If we do go six WRs I'd keep Austin over Stallworth due to the age factor.

Moss, Armstrong, and Gaffney are locks.

Hankerson will make the team if only because he's a 3rd round pick this year and there is no way you cut someone chosen that high.

Banks, if he can keep returning like that, will make the team as well.

That doesn't really leave any spots open. If we do go six WRs I'd keep Austin over Stallworth due to the age factor.

I will agree with you for the most part, but Shanahan HAS cut a 3rd rounder in TC before.

Maurice Clarette 2004 3rd Round

However, I think the difference with Clarette and Hankerson is that Hankerson actually gives a ****. I very VERY highly doubt he gets cut.

This WR competitions is gonna be nuts I think. Which is great. I honestly have no idea who the Shannys are gonna decide to keep. It seems the first three spots are locks, but after that, it's a toss up to me. Some seem to be front runners, but you never know how the preseason will go.

Totally agreed. Before this game I would have said that despite all expectations, even Armstrong isn't safe.

But he showed himself to be a reliable presence on the field tonight, making both the easy and tough catches look routine, while demonstrating improved technique, at least in my amateur opinion. I can't imagine he's a threat to lose his spot on the roster, even though it seems that Gaffney will bump him down. But since Moss plays in the slot in 3 WR sets, he's still an outside receiver there. So no real demotion except in 2 WR sets or less. And even then, I think we'll see a rotation, because Armstrong brings something to the table that Gaffney can't, and that Moss hasn't been asked to for a year or two: blinding, deep speed and play-making ability.

So to me, he's safe. Moss obviously. Gaffney is too, and tonight's game only proved that more. Great low-cost pickup. Then you've got Banks as a returner, Hankerson locked in regardless of performance because of his draft position, at least for a year or two (and I really do expect him to improve drastically), and then its Paul vs. Austin to me. Tough call. Very tough call, and they're both PS eligible.

Stallworth isn't even in the equation for me, with all of the above options.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 11:45 PM ----------

Donte runs great routes and should be on the team's final 53.

What a compelling argument.

Disagree. I'd rather see a younger player get a chance. Austin, for example.

the one thing I know Stallworth is good at is getting hurt.

~Bang

Stick to cartoons Bang. Here are the best receivers on the Skins. Moss, Gaffney, Stallworth, and Armstrong. the only thing unclear is NUMBER 5. That is between Austin and Kelly(who still has to get healthy). As far as I can see, all 3 rookies can be put on the practice squad because they are eligible and that way we have experienced veterans, proven receivers, and a solid group....with 3 young guys taking a year to learn the system and game some experience practicing over the next year, while getting accustomed to the pro environment. You may want to see young guys, but not one of those rookies is better than the aforementioned 5 veteran receivers. Hail Skins.

At this point, Hankerson is more of a liability on the field then a half dozen other receivers. However, his potential is too great to let go, and if we were to attempt to stash him on the practice squad, he wouldn't clear waivers. He will make the team and will likely be inactive on a weekly basis.

Brandon Banks is a true difference maker at the PR/KR position, and showed as much again tonight. As far as 6th receivers go, you really can't get any better.

Therefore, we will have 4 receivers on a weekly basis that will get nearly all of the offensive snaps. As much as we run 3 and 4 WR sets, having that #4 receiver that can be reliable and contribute is important.

I think Moss, Gaffney and Armstrong are locks. Hankerson and Banks should be too. I think Stallworth should get the nod at the #4 spot because he can step in and contribute immediately. Our offense is quite obviously all about the system -- the Shanahans have proven that we don't need "name" talent to do excel, whether it's the commonly disregarded smaller linemen or no-name running backs. It goes the same for QB and WR as well (and we all saw how our offense faltered when McNabb couldn't/wouldn't fit into the system).

Stallworth is a proven, reliable route runner with dependable hands. He's seen everything; he'll be in the right place at the right time. He looked impressive tonight. And most importantly, Austin still has practice squad eligibility left. Stallworth doesn't. While we bring Hankerson along on a week-to-week basis, while doing the same with Austin and Paul on the practice squad, these young receivers can continue to learn as Stallworth adds another reliable target for Grossman.

It's often discussed how it's so wise to let a rookie QB be groomed and sit behind a veteran quarterback to gain seasoning. Really, I think that can be said for every position, receiver included. If Gaffney or Armstrong or Moss gets nicked up, we've still got a highly reliable veteran receiver to step in. And if Stallworth gets injured, then we've still got Hankerson to fill in at spot duty, or we can then call upon Austin from the practice squad.

If Shanahan is giving jobs to those players who earn it through merit, then Stallworth has the leg up on Austin after the first preseason game. Unless Austin distinctly outperforms Stallworth over the next three weeks, I see no reason why we shouldn't send him to the practice squad while keeping Stallworth on our roster.

Snap decisions after this game on my part would look like this

Moss

Gafney

AA

Austin

Paul

Hank

Banks

Donte' had a good showing for sure, but he was playing against the bottom of the Steelers barrel and I'd go with youth over experience in his case as we already have experience in Moss and Gafney.

Well Joey Galloway played against 3rd teamers last preseason and I didnt see him tear up the rookies and scrubs. So if Randy Moss and Jerry Rice ever played against 3rd teamers you would expect them to catch 4-5 passes every half of play. Thats what Stallworth did. He did EVERYTHING you would expect a solid veteran to do when he gets a chance to play. Why hold that against him?

Now THAT is a respectable defense of Stallworth making the team, SkinsTillIDie.

I still don't agree, and have expressed why, but that is how you go about it, folks. Good post, even if I think you're wrong. ;)

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 12:01 AM ----------

Well Joey Galloway played against 3rd teamers last preseason and I didnt see him tear up the rookies and scrubs. So if Randy Moss and Jerry Rice ever played against 3rd teamers you would expect them to catch 4-5 passes every half of play. Thats what Stallworth did. He did EVERYTHING you would expect a solid veteran to do when he gets a chance to play. Why hold that against him?

Galloway ran with the starters last preseason. So how did he play against rookies and scrubs, again?

how about this: He's a better receiver than Austin. He has the speed to stretch the field and I'm not sure there is anyone else that can replace Moss/Armstrong in that respect in the event of an injury. In terms of depth having someone that can replace that is important.

I'm not holding anyting against him. He did what was expected of him. He was just put in a spot that didn't lend itself to making any sort of good impression. He did well, it was expected. He didn't do well, cut him. I have nothing against him. But in a numbers game going forward, I'd say he's the odd man out. He's got limited value for our team going forward when you compare him to guys like Hank or Austin. Both of those guys have upside plus youth. I like Donte'. Just not enough to give him a roster spot if it means that Hank or Austin don't make it.

Also, there is zero chance Kelly makes this team. I think the writing is on the wall for him. He'd have to have a monster game next week to give him any more chances. Even then you have to worry about his frailty.

I'll concede that Stallworth is probably a more polished WR than Austin at this point, but....

We aren't a contender, so why not try to develop Austin, who has shown flashes up to this point. Having a slightly better 4th wr isn't going to mean much, is it?

Not opposed to having a replacement for Moss when his wheels fall off.

Stick to cartoons Bang. Here are the best receivers on the Skins. Moss, Gaffney, Stallworth, and Armstrong. the only thing unclear is NUMBER 5. That is between Austin and Kelly(who still has to get healthy). As far as I can see, all 3 rookies can be put on the practice squad because they are eligible and that way we have experienced veterans, proven receivers, and a solid group....with 3 young guys taking a year to learn the system and game some experience practicing over the next year, while getting accustomed to the pro environment. You may want to see young guys, but not one of those rookies is better than the aforementioned 5 veteran receivers. Hail Skins.

Cartoons are easy when I have material like this.

Stallworth is an annual bust. This is his SIXTH team in 9 years.

He is cast off for a reason, and it's not because teams are so flush with talent that they can't keep him.

He had one year of note, six years ago.

That's it.

Give me a younger guy, Austin, a guy we drafted over this journeyman bum any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

~Bang

I'm not holding anyting against him. He did what was expected of him. He was just put in a spot that didn't lend itself to making any sort of good impression. He did well, it was expected. He didn't do well, cut him. I have nothing against him. But in a numbers game going forward, I'd say he's the odd man out. He's got limited value for our team going forward when you compare him to guys like Hank or Austin. Both of those guys have upside plus youth. I like Donte'. Just not enough to give him a roster spot if it means that Hank or Austin don't make it.

But thats the point. Why would anybody want Hankerson to make it besides the fact that you heard all the media talking about it. Numbers don't lie. Play on the field doesn't lie. Stallworth is BETTER than Hankerson. He could catch 70 balls. Hankerson will not. Hankerson can be put on the practice squad for a year. Stallworth cannot. So why would you NOT want to put Hankerson on the squad. I mean why would you NOT want to put Hankerson on the squad really? If you cannot contribute as much as a seasoned veteran, why would you want to count on him when he could sit. What the heck is the rush with everybody to draft somebody and force them to become a Superstar in their first season. Rookies do NOT win teams championships. History doesn't lie. Look at New England. They are beefing up with veterans. Why don't you suggest they cut Chad Ocho and get some rookie cause he has great upside for some future date? Yea, go ahead and get on the Patriots board and see how far you get with that kind of logic.

how about this: He's a better receiver than Austin. He has the speed to stretch the field and I'm not sure there is anyone else that can replace Moss/Armstrong in that respect in the event of an injury. In terms of depth having someone that can replace that is important.

Because we're not at a place, as a team, where we can sacrifice our possible future at WR for a veteran who at best gives us an injury replacement for what you admit TWO guys on the team can already do.

He's better than Austin and Paul right now, yes. (probably)

He's at the least more reliable at this stage.

But I'm not worried about having that on this team, honestly. We've got the speed in Armstrong and Moss, and to a lesser extent (WR-ability-wise) Banks. And we'd have it in Austin as well. And we've got the vet presence in Moss and Gaffney, with Armstrong following behind them.

I don't see anything on this team that Stallworth can do, that someone else can't also do. And I'm not willing to sacrifice younger talent (if they prove roster-worthy) for depth in those areas, with where our team is right now.

But thats the point. Why would anybody want Hankerson to make it besides the fact that you heard all the media talking about it. Numbers don't lie. Play on the field doesn't lie. Stallworth is BETTER than Hankerson. He could catch 70 balls. Hankerson will not. Hankerson can be put on the practice squad for a year. Stallworth cannot. So why would you NOT want to put Hankerson on the squad. I mean why would you NOT want to put Hankerson on the squad really? If you cannot contribute as much as a seasoned veteran, why would you want to count on him when he could sit. What the heck is the rush with everybody to draft somebody and force them to become a Superstar in their first season. Rookies do NOT win teams championships. History doesn't lie. Look at New England. They are beefing up with veterans. Why don't you suggest they cut Chad Ocho and get some rookie cause he has great upside for some future date? Yea, go ahead and get on the Patriots board and see how far you get with that kind of logic.

The Pats are a lot closer to the promised land than us. We're not gonna contend this year or next year for the Super Bowl. A guy like Chad makes a lot more sense for them. A young promising guy like Hank makes a lot more sense for a team that is looking to contend 2 years from now. He could very well get his drops under control. No way he lasts on the PS. He will get picked up with the quickness. Look at Braylon. He was notorious for his drops. The last two seasons, however, he only had like 3 or 4 over two seasons. Hank has too much potential to risk losing for a guy like Donte to make the squad. Chances are Donte won't be here in two years.

Are you thick? A 3rd rounder CANNOT be put on the Practice Squad without getting scooped up by a team more patient than we are, who is willing to hang on to him over a veteran depth WR who isn't even going to help them win anything significant, because they are a rebuilding team. He wouldn't even make it through ****ing waivers, and he'd only make it as far as he hypothetically would fall in the first place because every team would be wondering, "what's the catch? Why did the Skins cut a 3rd round WR to risk him not even making it to their practice squad? Either they are ****ing idiots, and listening to that igwad LUCKYMAN again, or this is too good to be true."

Why do you think the Ravens didn't bring back Stallworth, who is easily "better" right now than Tandon Doss and Torrey Smith? Because unless its a SIGNIFICANT upgrade (like Lee Evans is), he's just taking up a roster spot that a younger player with more potential could have. And they ARE a team in position to compete, and still do this.

Totally agreed. Before this game I would have said that despite all expectations, even Armstrong isn't safe.

But he showed himself to be a reliable presence on the field tonight, making both the easy and tough catches look routine, while demonstrating improved technique, at least in my amateur opinion. I can't imagine he's a threat to lose his spot on the roster, even though it seems that Gaffney will bump him down. But since Moss plays in the slot in 3 WR sets, he's still an outside receiver there. So no real demotion except in 2 WR sets or less. And even then, I think we'll see a rotation, because Armstrong brings something to the table that Gaffney can't, and that Moss hasn't been asked to for a year or two: blinding, deep speed and play-making ability.

So to me, he's safe. Moss obviously. Gaffney is too, and tonight's game only proved that more. Great low-cost pickup. Then you've got Banks as a returner, Hankerson locked in regardless of performance because of his draft position, at least for a year or two (and I really do expect him to improve drastically), and then its Paul vs. Austin to me. Tough call. Very tough call, and they're both PS eligible.

Stallworth isn't even in the equation for me, with all of the above options.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 11:45 PM ----------

this one makes sense some of you guys are nuts

The Pats are a lot closer to the promised land than us. We're not gonna contend this year or next year for the Super Bowl. A guy like Chad makes a lot more sense for them. A young promising guy like Hank makes a lot more sense for a team that is looking to contend 2 years from now. He could very well get his drops under control. No way he lasts on the PS. He will get picked up with the quickness. Look at Braylon. He was notorious for his drops. The last two seasons, however, he only had like 3 or 4 over two seasons. Hank has too much potential to risk losing for a guy like Donte to make the squad. Chances are Donte won't be here in two years.

How are the Skins going to LOSE Hankerson. Just protect him and keep him inactive.

How are the Skins going to LOSE Hankerson. Just protect him and keep him inactive.

Well, if you put him on the practice squad, any other team can sign him to their active roster. You either keep him on your active roster or you risk losing him. And if you like Banks, Austin and Hank, you gotta keep him in place of Donte'.

Archived