Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Donte Stallworth needs to make this team

SteveFromYellowstone

Donte Stallworth looked great out there tonight. He ran crisp routes and was a nice compliment to our receiving game. I believe we need a veteran presence at WR beyond Moss and Gaffney to go along with all our rookie pass catchers. He's the type of player who can score at any time. I would'nt be surprised if he ends up being a valuable target for us this season.

Disagree. I'd rather see a younger player get a chance. Austin, for example.

the one thing I know Stallworth is good at is getting hurt.

Flush it.

~Bang

Agreed. If Moss, Gaffney, and Armstrong are the top 3 WRs, Austin needs to be the 4th guy on the field. He looked very good tonight, great routes, great hands. And you gotta love the YAC. Stallworth performed well, but he's like an 8 year vet and most of his catches came against rookies and no names.

Stallworth, when healthy, is a better player than Gaffney. In my opinion, we should not keep both - 4 28+ year-old WRs is what set us back for years. Gaffney is solid but Stallworth can be spectacular. When Stallworth gets injured, we can get one of the young guys in there. But that's my opinion. I would be really disappointed if we kept both. That would be like keeping Roydell and Galloway last year - they were redundant. Gaffney and Stallworth are both better than either Roydell or Galloway were, but keeping both would still be redundant, IMO.

Disagree. I'd rather see a younger player get a chance. Austin, for example.

the one thing I know Stallworth is good at is getting hurt.

Flush it.

~Bang

No diggity, no doubt. Austin looked great to me and seems to be a viable option as a PR... Stallworth made some nice plays but missed that deep ball that should have been a TD.

With that being said, I still think he makes the team.

Stallworth, when healthy, is a better player than Gaffney. In my opinion, we should not keep both - 4 28+ year-old WRs is what set us back for years. Gaffney is solid but Stallworth can be spectacular. When Stallworth gets injured, we can get one of the young guys in there. But that's my opinion. I would be really disappointed if we kept both. That would be like keeping Roydell and Galloway last year - they were redundant. Gaffney and Stallworth are both better than either Roydell or Galloway were, but keeping both would still be redundant, IMO.

You are so far off-base it hurts my brain. Gaffney is a total monster and is coming off his best season. He is the possession receiver we have needed here for a very long time. Comparing him to Roydell or Galloway means you know very little about football man.

We need a veteran WR behind our veteran receivers Moss, Gaffney, and Armstrong? Why?

He doesn't do anything that Armstrong can't do, and while he's reliable and solid, he's also not anything special. He's also an injury waiting to happen.

I'd rather see Paul and/or Austin make the team over him, every time.

We need a veteran WR behind our veteran receivers Moss, Gaffney, and Armstrong? Why?

He doesn't do anything that Armstrong can't do, and while he's reliable and solid, he's also not anything special. He's also an injury waiting to happen.

Best guess right now is this IMO

Moss, AAA, Gaffney, Paul, Hankerson, Banks/Austin

I agree. I actually thought he could have had the pass Grossman over-threw in the end zone, if he'd have leaned forward a little. Not to say it was THAT bad, but it's a play you'd like to see him make more of an effort on, and I guarantee Armstrong would have laid out for it if he had to.

i agree. its unfortunate what has happened to him for the past 2 or 3 years. but when he didnt have off field issues, he was a beast. i remember when he was with the iggles and i recall mcnabb and stallworth killing it all year long.,

i truly believe that he is the better receiver than santana moss.

Best guess right now is this IMO

Moss, AAA, Gaffney, Paul, Hankerson, Banks/Austin

Agreed. Honestly, Aldrick Robinson's poor showing made it much easier to reconcile his place on the PS in my head...I am no longer conflicted about it. He could very well explode and surprise me the rest of preseason, and really show out, but right now, I'm pretty content with letting him develop on the PS. Which makes the WR position just a little less crammed in my personal mental list.

I like young guys getting a chance but I like depth that belongs in the NFL. The problem is we have too many good not great receivers.

1 - Moss

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 - Banks (Special Teams)

Four spots left and these guys have the best shot:

"Skittles" Armstrong

Gaffney

Stallworth

Hankerson

Paul

Austin

Two of those guys are either gone or PS. The way I see it you cut Austin, stash Paul on the PS, and keep the rest. Stallworth or Gaffney are gone after this season and that allows you to bring Paul up. I don't like Robinson or the Combs chances of making the team enough to list them. I doubt Hankerson could be put on the PS or I'd flop him and Paul to be honest. The guy is raw.

I think when healthy Stallworth is better then Armstrong and Gaffney as a number 2. If we keep 5 wideouts stallworth is gone because despite his talent his injury history makes him the odd man out.

Agreed. Honestly, Aldrick Robinson's poor showing made it much easier to reconcile his place on the PS in my head...I am no longer conflicted about it. He could very well explode and surprise me the rest of preseason, and really show out, but right now, I'm pretty content with letting him develop on the PS. Which makes the WR position just a little less crammed in my personal mental list.

Yep I think as a PS guy he could develop into something in a year or two as a vertical threat but tonight wasn't a good showing from him

i truly believe that he is the better receiver than santana moss.

I'm not even a huge (current) Moss fan, and I think this is ridiculous.

I'm beginning to wonder if you'll ever post something that I do agree with. Seems unlikely.

Yep I think as a PS guy he could develop into something in a year or two as a vertical threat but tonight wasn't a good showing from him

Not at all. And in a year with basically a lost offseason, you want rookies making your team who have shown the ability to play despite the unfair cap put on their access to coaches this summer. Paul did that a bit tonight. Aldrick choked hard when thrust into the spotlight. You don't want that in a year like this. Let him get the jitters out by perfecting his technique, his route-running, and his work habits in practice. He can imitate the speed demons we've got on our schedule this year for our defense, on the practice squad, and provide value that way.

Wow, lots of hate on Stallworth. While I agree he is an injury waiting to happen I have to also agree he needs to make this team. When Stallworth is healthy he runs good routes, and has the ability to go deep with Moss by speed.

I haven't seen anyone post something that Stallworth can provide that Armstrong can't. Which makes him trash-able, especially with his injury risks.

Snap decisions after this game on my part would look like this

Moss

Gafney

AA

Austin

Paul

Hank

Banks

Donte' had a good showing for sure, but he was playing against the bottom of the Steelers barrel and I'd go with youth over experience in his case as we already have experience in Moss and Gafney.

Edit, I see I had 7. Dang. I guess I'd send Paul to the PS.

Wow, lots of hate on Stallworth. While I agree he is an injury waiting to happen I have to also agree he needs to make this team. When Stallworth is healthy he runs good routes, and has the ability to go deep with Moss by speed.

I don't think people hate him, I just don't think most agree with the "NEED" to keep him.

Not at all. And in a year with basically a lost offseason, you want rookies making your team who have shown the ability to play despite the unfair cap put on their access to coaches this summer. Paul did that a bit tonight. Aldrick choked hard when thrust into the spotlight. You don't want that in a year like this. Let him get the jitters out by perfecting his technique, his route-running, and his work habits in practice. He can imitate the speed demons we've got on our schedule this year for our defense, on the practice squad, and provide value that way.

This WR competitions is gonna be nuts I think. Which is great. I honestly have no idea who the Shannys are gonna decide to keep. It seems the first three spots are locks, but after that, it's a toss up to me. Some seem to be front runners, but you never know how the preseason will go.

Archived