Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tips for coming to DC, attending game FOR A GIANTS FAN.

pbelli01

Hello,

I wanted to ask for some tips or advice from some Redskins fans. I will be traveling down to Fedex Field (never been there) for the Redskins-GIants game on 9/11, staying in DC for the weekend. I have the tickets, but I understand parking passes can be very difficult, and expensive to come by. So, I was wondering which option is more preferable, based on your experiences.

Buy a parking pass, and tailgate. How close to the stadium can a moderately priced parking pass get us?

Or...take a train from our hotel to the stadium. Then finding an establishment near the stadium to enjoy food and drink. Is public transportation possible from DC to Landover? and Is there a bar in the stadium or near the stadium that is open 3 hours prior to the game?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

THank you for your time.

Yeah there isn't much near the stadium in terms of bars to pregame at.

I would recommend going to the ES tailgate too. It's always a big event and everyone is very cool. You could drive and park there, (I think parking passes range from $30-$60ish? ) someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've only done a parking pass once.

But you could park there and tailgate yourself or find the ES tailgate or you could metro to Morgan Blvd and walk and tailgate. It's a decent walk to the stadium though, but tons of people do it. It might be hard to carry a lot of tailgating supplies.

Depending on how many are coming with you, get a parking pass and tailgate. You can buy a pass if you get off at exit 15A off of the Beltway (495). Once you exit heading towards the stadium, there will be a McDonalds on the right side of the road about 1/2 mile up. People will be there selling everything you need, such as passes, tickets, etc. Get a green pass, and you can set up anywhere in the large parking lots if you get there early enough. After the McDonalds, its another half mile or so to the right turn that leads you to the parking lot entrance.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 10:27 AM ----------

So this ES tailgate is a huge parking lot event? How much is it to get in? I assume they do serve alcohol or is it bring our own? Are they accepting of fans of other teams....Were Giants fans. Were not jerks, we behave haha.

Oh wait, never mind. The stadium is actually full for the game. And its being moved back to RFK for the opener, so there's no parking. And its being played on Sept. 10.

Sadly, the stadium kinda sucks.

Also, the most important thing I can offer is don't bring a kid under the age of 16. Seriously. Its a drunk disaster in there every game.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 10:32 AM ----------

So this ES tailgate is a huge parking lot event? How much is it to get in? I assume they do serve alcohol or is it bring our own? Are they accepting of fans of other teams....Were Giants fans. Were not jerks, we behave haha.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo.

Just kidding. But seriously, as opposing fans you should be careful. You can go and have a good time and not get into trouble for sure. But there are a lot of drunk people who will be looking to start something with you because of your jersey. My honest advice is just to laugh anything off. And really don't bring any children now.

Is this guy serious? :ols:

pb, I'm positive you're a good person, but isn't it a little strange to ask opposing team fans for tips on coming to their stadium and where to tailgate? Oh well, stay safe, FedEx has been rowdy the past couple of years. But overall if you don't look for trouble I think you should be fine.

People ***** about Fedex constantly but I find it a great place. You do have to spend some dough on parking passes and tickets but I only go once a year so, its worth it. Going to the Cards game this year and have some onfield passes - so I am extra psyched!

I usually end up dropping at least $85 on an orange parking pass (split with others its not too bad) and we get there at 9am sharp. Great spots available early and everyone is friendly as hell... one game in 2006, we had forgotten our filled Beer cooler and our neighboring tailgaters couldnt give us enough food and booze... we make great friends every year. Skins fans are the best... and even the rival fans are usually super cool.... and for 8 straight years, we have had perfect weather every time.

We went in 2002 for Patrick Ramsey's first NFL start versus New Orleans. The Skins got ***** smacked hard but it was a good time. It was also the weekend the DC Sniper was prowling the area, so there were extra cops and helicopters buzzing the place the whole game.

You picked a great time to come. To celebrate the long rivalry between the two teams the NFL has switched the game to RFK Stadium. Get there early and take advantage of the valet parking. Just hand your keys to the guy standing along Benning Road.

People ***** about Fedex constantly but I find it a great place. You do have to spend some dough on parking passes and tickets but I only go once a year so, its worth it. Going to the Cards game this year and have some onfield passes - so I am extra psyched!

I usually end up dropping at least $85 on an orange parking pass (split with others its not too bad) and we get there at 9am sharp. Great spots available early and everyone is friendly as hell... one game in 2006, we had forgotten our filled Beer cooler and our neighboring tailgaters couldnt give us enough food and booze... we make great friends every year. Skins fans are the best... and even the rival fans are usually super cool.... and for 8 straight years, we have had perfect weather every time.

We went in 2002 for Patrick Ramsey's first NFL start versus New Orleans. The Skins got ***** smacked hard but it was a good time. It was also the weekend the DC Sniper was prowling the area, so there were extra cops and helicopters buzzing the place the whole game.

That's because it blows. Apparently your standards are really low. Going to Gilette only reaffirmed by conclusion that FedEx sucks. There's almost nothing around the stadium.

Metro to Largo Town Center (blue). It's a mile walk to the stadium. There were shuttle buses but thanks to stupid FTA regulations that's gone.

Well, if you really only go once every nine years or so, it might not seem that bad. But paying 40 bucks for parking every week is obnoxious. Also, going every week into a terribly boring stadium is obnoxious.

I will relent that if the product on the field would be better, the stadium would be probably feel nicer.

Well, if you really only go once every nine years or so, it might not seem that bad. But paying 40 bucks for parking every week is obnoxious. Also, going every week into a terribly boring stadium is obnoxious.

I will relent that if the product on the field would be better, the stadium would be probably feel nicer.

Absolutely the product is a big part but it blows as you said.

You picked a great time to come. To celebrate the long rivalry between the two teams the NFL has switched the game to RFK Stadium. Get there early and take advantage of the valet parking. Just hand your keys to the guy standing along Benning Road.

I had totally forgotten about that. Sorry for the confusion OP. Just hit the metro and take the blue/orange line to Stadium/Armory.

Absolutely the product is a big part but it blows as you said.

Yeah not having anything around FedEx definitely sucks. The only other football stadium besides RFK and FedEx, that I've been to is M&T. Now the bars are close to OPACY than they are to M&T, but they are still there, maybe a mile away at most. Plus the lightrail drops you off right in front of the stadium. So if you were really feeling lazy, you could even drink at the bars then take the light rail from the Convention Center to the Stadium.

wear your antonio pierce or lavar arrington jersey. we haaaate that!

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

hahaha

Tips:

1 - Be cool and ready to laugh things off. If you come trying to act tough some drunk moron will take you up on it.

2 - Find the ES tailgate, gain access to the club level tailgate, or bring enough people to start your own.

3 - If you can't handle your **** don't drink.

4 - Avoid drunk people with megaphones

Hello,

I wanted to ask for some tips or advice from some Redskins fans. I will be traveling down to Fedex Field (never been there) for the Redskins-GIants game on 9/11, staying in DC for the weekend. I have the tickets, but I understand parking passes can be very difficult, and expensive to come by. So, I was wondering which option is more preferable, based on your experiences.

Buy a parking pass, and tailgate. How close to the stadium can a moderately priced parking pass get us?

Or...take a train from our hotel to the stadium. Then finding an establishment near the stadium to enjoy food and drink. Is public transportation possible from DC to Landover? and Is there a bar in the stadium or near the stadium that is open 3 hours prior to the game?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

THank you for your time.

Here is some advice, take those tickets, put them on EBAY and sell them.

Quite frankly I do not know why anyone would want to go to an opposing teams stadium. You know your gonna get treated like trash, and most likely will be threatend with violence. I have no desire to go to anyother teams stadium. My wife said she wanted to go to a game at Ravens stadium, and I told here NO WAY....why it makes no sense we are Redskins fans.

However if you do still plan on invading us then sit down, shut up, minimize your Giants wear, and if you lose lose gracefully, if you win continue to shut the F up because thats when the beered up idiots are coming looking for a fight.

Oh, Dan. You so craaaaaaaaazy...

Here is some advice, take those tickets, put them on EBAY and sell them.

Quite frankly I do not know why anyone would want to go to an opposing teams stadium. You know your gonna get treated like trash, and most likely will be threatend with violence. I have no desire to go to anyother teams stadium. My wife said she wanted to go to a game at Ravens stadium, and I told here NO WAY....why it makes no sense we are Redskins fans.

However if you do still plan on invading us then sit down, shut up, minimize your Giants wear, and if you lose lose gracefully, if you win continue to shut the F up because thats when the beered up idiots are coming looking for a fight.

I wish NFL would set aside a given section/number of tickets to opposing fans. I'd like to go to some away games but I just don't see how it's that enjoyable unless you're sitting around a bunch of your own fans.

I wish NFL would set aside a given section/number of tickets to opposing fans. I'd like to go to some away games but I just don't see how it's that enjoyable unless you're sitting around a bunch of your own fans.

That would be nice. They ought to take a cue from high school football stadiums in that respect: put the opposing fans on one side and home fans on the other.

Archived