Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Redskins Spending Makes Unflattering List

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Yahoo: NFL Power Rankings: 10 Dumbest Spending Teams in the League

3. Washington Redskins

A year ago the Redskins owned the top spot in this review. Dan Snyder was in full charge of the team and making decisions that weren't sustainable, like offering a $100 million contract to Albert Haynesworth.

Snyder has picked up some help in the front office, but it still didn't stop them from giving Donovan McNabb a ridiculous extension last season, ensuring the team wouldn't be able to keep him around for 2011.

The Redskins spent almost $180 million in 2010 and didn't have much to show for it. Their spending will be down in 2011, but their wins likely will be, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-power-rankings-10-dumbest-spending-teams-league-173652267.html?bouchon=511,dc

2011 Poor Spending Power rankings

Redskins

Their spending is good in 2011, and they have no real danger with the cap at this point, but they spent a lot of money last year so that must mean we should rank them high this year.

Seriously though, the Redskins should rank around where the Seahawks are. That is where they fit in this mess of an offseason.

2011 Poor Spending Power rankings

Redskins

Their spending is good in 2011, and they have no real danger with the cap at this point, but they spent a lot of money last year so that must mean we should rank them high this year.

Seriously though, the Redskins should rank around where the Seahawks are. That is where they fit in this mess of an offseason.

thats what i was thinking. WTF???

i'm not sure the contract extension for mcnabb was ridiculous. i thought it allowed the skins to control his rights, thereby netting us a draft pick in trade?

oh well.

Did we even really spend any real money on that McNabb extension? The media seems to always confuse the funny money players sign for vs. the actual dollars spent.

Loading money on an uncapped year to prepare for a uncertain capped one, seems like a smart move to me.

So wait, we traded McNabb, not because he wasn't a fit here, but because we couldn't afford the extension we gave him? And we signed Haynesworth back in 2009, so that's old news so why do they keep bringing that up? Since Shanahan and Allen have been here, I'd say we've been pretty wise spenders. But we signed Haynesworth 2 years ago so we must always spend like idiots I guess.

How is this even a credible article when they use our 2009 and 2010 spending to make the list but all the other teams they only used their 2011 spending to do the analysis? WTF??? They have every NFC East team on the list except the Eagles who just went out and spent a lot of money this offseason but didn't make the list. Philly is known to be tightwads and never give their own players good contracts but because they signed all these players in the offseason they are a well run organization. COME ON! gimme a brak.

I don't know. The extension in hindsight was pretty dumb. By that time in the season, they pretty much knew they didn't want him. Maybe they thought giving him an extention would get him to buy in, but in any case offering that bonus and paying him that much money for what became a sixth or two sixth round draft picks is pretty bad business.

How is this even a credible article when they use our 2009 and 2010 spending to make the list but all the other teams they only used their 2011 spending to do the analysis? WTF??? They have every NFC East team on the list except the Eagles who just went out and spent a lot of money this offseason but didn't make the list. Philly is known to be tightwads and never give their own players good contracts but because they signed all these players in the offseason they are a well run organization. COME ON! gimme a brak.

Yeah the more I read the article the dumber I feel. If this list is based on 2011, why are we even on it? It says that are spending will be down in 2011, so why are we the 3rd dumbest spending team in the league??

And not to defend the Cowboys, but they really didn't spend any crazy money during the offseason and they're #4. This is the worst article I've ever read. It really makes no sense.

Did we even really spend any real money on that McNabb extension? The media seems to always confuse the funny money players sign for vs. the actual dollars spent.

Loading money on an uncapped year to prepare for a uncertain capped one, seems like a smart move to me.

Well, the complaint seems to be that BECAUSE we signed that ridiculous extension, it made it impossible for McNabb to remain a Redskin. They kind of have a point.

Look, this Rex vs. Beck battle, while entertaining, is kind of depressing. The fact is, we'd all be better off with McNabb as QB. What that extension guaranteed was that it WOULDN'T happen. Keeping him was simply far too expensive. Yeah, it allowed us to control his rights - which got us a 6th round draft pick - but considering we torched a 2nd and 4th(?) for him in the first place it would probably just be better to have him around instead of handing the reigns over to BecksMan. Yeah, McNabb isn't your ideal rebuilding QB but neither are either of these two clowns.

Just my opinion. The McNabb thing was a mess from day 1 and of course we are still paying for it. But I also understand those who say that we should have a "clean slate" at this point, and I'm inclined to agree actually. The Skins' spending from 3 weeks ago till today has been pretty good.

Looky there

While you all are focusing on us being on this list

I see that we aren't number #1!!!

That's progress folks :)

Now what I don't get is where are the Eagles on this list?

Those fools signed a bunch of questionable players imo

WR Steve Smith (Injured Player)

OT Ryan Harris (Bad player imo)

RB Ronnie Brown (Another bad player imo)

DT Cullen Jenkins (Oft Injured over 30 years old)

DE Jason Babin (Oft Injured over 30 years old)

CB Nnamdi Asomugha (Good signing but still hes already in his 30's)

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Jury's out)

And they gave up there best backup for VY who I don't think will work out for them

In the end what the Eagles did is sign a bunch of names, but not too many productive players to be there for years for them.

It's an all in move

They are the official off season champions and I'm betting against them getting to the Superbowl again

For all the splashes we've made over the years leaving them off this list to me just shows pure media bias

In the end what the Eagles did is sign a bunch of names, but not too many productive players to be there for years for them.

It's an all in move

They are the official off season champions and I'm betting against them getting to the Superbowl again

For all the splashes we've made over the years leaving them off this list to me just shows pure media bias

Come on man, you are completely missing the point. Many of those players might not be there NEXT year and nobody cares. They are making a run THIS year.

Kind of like the Redskins have done every year since 2000, except the Eagles actually have a chance.

Come on man, you are completely missing the point. Many of those players might not be there NEXT year and nobody cares. They are making a run THIS year.

Kind of like the Redskins have done every year since 2000, except the Eagles actually have a chance.

No I disagree

First off CL I can't remember a time when another team went out and signed 6 former probowlers in a single offseason like they did

It's possible to have happened, I just can't recall this

Second off I can't remember a team ever spending like they did this year without getting some heat for it

Every single move we've made by the media is scrutinized, dissected, analyzed, and spit out

That's how we are treated, and I expect the same to go for every team

However the "medidiots" don't hold this years Eagles to the same standard

Where was the backlash from the VY signing? I mean I get that the Eagles get a complete pass on QB's having a dog killer as the face of the franchise but really do you want your team surrounding themselves with criminals, idiots, and overall bad guys at the QB spot? Why wouldn't they get hammered on this? Oh wait because it's the Eagles right?

Where are the doubters regarding Steve Smiths injury signing? 1 year deal probably wont hit the field in this already short offseason until the 7th week. Good signing? I doubt it

Where are the naysayers about the 5 year deal that the often injured over 30 Jenkins signed? Dude never stays healthy, why invest 5 years into that?

Where are the naysayers about the 5 year deal that the often injured over 30 Babin signed? Again this dude never stays healthy, worth 5 years? Not to me

Where are the questions about Nnamdi Asomugha? He always played one side of the field in Oakland, that's not what the Eagles do, will it work? At 12 million a year it better

What about the lack of a backup QB? VY is hot garbage, sure he's a name but he's no good and has no preperation to get good under Reid. Not to mention they got Rogers Cromatrie who was a bust in AZ...good trade for them? Idk. I think AZ gave up slightly too much for Kolb but I also think they won that trade. They get Rogers for this and next year. For a 2 year player who's not that good with questions about him I think I'd rather have a young Franchise QB considering my current QB is over 30 and oft injured if I were them. Glad that Kolbs gone. Once Vicks hurt this year the whole thing crashes down around them. You can't live in a sand castle, and the Eagles will likely regret that trade

My prediction for them is this blows up in there faces

It's the Miami Heat, Flordia Marlins, in the NFL

A team going all in for a chance for a title...it wont work

And I think this is the year that costs Reid his job

Anything to get that fat **** out of the division I support

And if this was us doing these moves we would be straight crucified for it.

We would be the Yankees, the team you love to hate.

But the Eagles get a pass and nothing but love for this crap they did? Bullspit

If your going to post an article about bad money signings this offseason you better hold the Eagles to the same fire that your holding everyone else to but Yahoo like the other media clowns just sucked up to them.

Why are they even discussing Haynesworth and McNabb? They don't count squat on "THIS" years cap. When we traded McNabb, we basically voided his contract with no future obligation and he worked out a new deal with the Vikings. When we traded Fatty, all his bonuses were paid last year and we only owed his "base" salary, which is not guarenteed and the Pats would have had to assume that cost, but they re-signed him to a new 2 year deal. They aren't on our cap this year as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And to bring up 2 players that aren't even on the team is shoddy journalism at best.

Why are they even discussing Haynesworth and McNabb? They don't count squat on "THIS" years cap. When we traded McNabb, we basically voided his contract with no future obligation and he worked out a new deal with the Vikings. When we traded Fatty, all his bonuses were paid last year and we only owed his "base" salary, which is not guarenteed and the Pats would have had to assume that cost, but they re-signed him to a new 2 year deal. They aren't on our cap this year as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And to bring up 2 players that aren't even on the team is shoddy journalism at best.

Exactly. Whoever came up with this list has not paid any attention to anything that happened during the offseason. And aren't we like $15 mil under the cap or something like that?

This would make my list of "10 Dumbest Articles on Teams in the League"

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 10:35 AM ----------

And I think this is the year that costs Reid his job

Not only do I agree with you, I think all the media stories that make this all seem GREAT, and the "dream team" talk is going to tear them apart. You talk about fans who are fickle? Philly is the worst sort, so I can't wait to see what happens when you basically guarantee a SB title to a city that has never had one, with a coach half of them already want gone.......and then they come up short again. The fire will be unquenchable.

That offseason will be fun to watch.

The other thing about Philly, they have holes. No one wants to talk about it, but they have holes and they aren't the '07 Pats team. This team will disappoint, no matter what they do, because Philly fans will have an "undefeated" season built up in their heads before the games that count ever begin.

This would make my list of "10 Dumbest Articles on Teams in the League"

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 10:35 AM ----------

Not only do I agree with you, I think all the media stories that make this all seem GREAT, and the "dream team" talk is going to tear them apart. You talk about fans who are fickle? Philly is the worst sort, so I can't wait to see what happens when you basically guarantee a SB title to a city that has never had one, with a coach half of them already want gone.......and then they come up short again. The fire will be unquenchable.

That offseason will be fun to watch.

The other thing about Philly, they have holes. No one wants to talk about it, but they have holes and they aren't the '07 Pats team. This team will disappoint, no matter what they do, because Philly fans will have an "undefeated" season built up in their heads before the games that count ever begin.

The higher you get

The harder the fall

Let the "Dream Team" get off to a rough start

Or let them lose Vick for a few games and lets see what they can do

This aint the 2001 Ravens Defense, good enough to step up if needed to win every game

Funny how the best laid plans have a way of not working out ;)

Archived