Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TC Write Up 8/10/11

Dukes and Skins

After being asked to do one here you all go, first off for those who have read my draft profiles I tend to keep it pretty positive but also am critical when needing to be.

So lets get to it!

QB- Today I was definitely surprised a bit by Beck, not because he's been saying all the right things, but he was showing good zip on his passes and had nice accuracy. Rex was Rex he makes plays and while he makes some questionable decisions he also will then come back on the next play and wow you. The one person that really was on my bad list today was Kellen Clemens though. At first of the day he started out okay but he really just seemed to be off accuracy wise. Now the RB's and WR's made adjustments and saved him, but still it was more of the fact that they couldn't get the pass and take off up field, they had to adjust then re gear up in a sense to make a play. Didn't really get to see much of Verica and Chappell

RB's- I mentioned this a couple of times on Twitter today but I really like what Roy Helu is going to bring to this team. During position work, Roy was making his cuts with ease and had the look of a pure 1 cut ZBS runner. Also was happy watching Tim Hightower have a consistent day today and didnt have any fumbles that I can recall. I'll go ahead and lump the FB's in the bunch as well and I'll admit it I have a bit of a man crush on Darrel Young I think he's going to be something for us at FB in the future. Him and Keiland seem to be a good pass/blocking combination.

WR's- Todays guy I was really impressed with on offense was Niles Paul. Let me put it this way it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if Niles is the late round guy that slips for random reasons that has a big rookie year. He made tough catches in position work and had a few nice catches in 11 v 11 work as well. Hankerson was more solid today and only had 1 drop that I can recall could have had more but only saw one with my own eyes. Yes he has drop issues but I'm not worried with him moving forward being a big time guy for us. I dont really need to explain a lot for Moss and Armstrong they both were good today, but definitely the catch of the day goes to Terrence Austin who in some goal line/ red zone work made a great leaping catch over the middle and held on for possession. He'll be fighting for one of the final roster spots and it'll be interesting watching him this pre season. Brandon Banks is his own entity first off I'm taller than him and it really showed today :ols: was impressed with Brandon making a nice catch today on a deep ball from Grossman and was also working on punt return and kick return. Aldrick Robinson did the same as well and think he'll be a PS guy this year but could be something to watch in 2012 with a year of seasoning(think Devone Bess).

TE's- this one will be pretty short because only really Paulsen and Davis saw action with Cooley on the side lines and both were very good today, I think Paulsen is going to become a Mike Sellers type on offense in the redzone aka being a touchdown machine from 3 yards in haha

OL- I know theres been talk about the OL and if they are that bad or its the DL being that good well I dont really think its the OL being bad. Brown and Williams both had very good days today handling pass rushers and I'm telling you all right now there is a nice little chemistry developing between Chris Chester and Jamaal Brown and it'll be fun to watch this year. Will Montgomery had a solid day at C as did Kory at LG. Overall this is an improved OL to watch and the depth is still raw in some ways, but is getting better no doubt.

DL- The DL stole the show for me today without a doubt. First off the starting DL of Bowen, Cofield and Carriker is going to be fun to watch. i've never seen as hard a bull rush before than I did today from Bowen. I mean it was so loud we could hear the crack of the hit as clear as day. Cofield is a non stop machine at NT and Carriker is almost technician like at DE and will clog up all the lanes and make plays. Also Jarvis Jenkins man once he refines the technique a little more he could be a star 3-4 DE he has a non stop motor and yes there are questions about his strength from the combine numbers, but out on that field he looks a lot stronger than those numbers indicate. Another guy who caught my eye was Doug Worthington, he had a quiet but solid day as did Darion Scott both seem to be good 3-4 DE fits IMO and will provide nice depth

LB's- First off I will say I'll be shocked if Ryan Kerrigan isn't the starting OLB opposite of Orakpo week 1. Today the 1st team LB's were pretty cool to watch and one person who did show up today was Rocky McIntosh. There has been the debate of his return and all, but just an FYI he looked pretty comfortable in the scheme today and was showing solid coverage. Liked what I saw out of the 2nd LB's in Fox, Riley and my underrated star of the day Rob Jackson( 3rd down pass rushing stud) Overall its fun to watch the LB's now because of the speed they are adding and the pressure they are going to cause this year

CB's/S CB work was kinda interesting because you had Hall with another good day which is pretty much expected and Wilson was good from what I saw, but Kevin Barnes today was making some really nice plays including a nice breakup on a 11 v 11 pass that had me nodding my head. People have said Reggie Jones was looking good, but I can honestly say I didnt really catch a ton of him on the field but I wish I did. I think week one the starters will be Hall and Wilson with Barnes being the nickel back. S's was different today because again no Landry Moore or Atogwe(coolest guy i've met). Doughty had another solid day and will be back on the team no question in my mind. Horton had an okay day nothing really stood out to me. I did like what I saw out of DeJon Gomes I dont know if he'll make the final 53 at first but I feel that if you work with him and develop then you have the chance to see a good backup SS/FS type

Finally ST work. Sav Rocca is going to finally be the punter we've been wanting and secondly Gano isn't losing his job that is all :ols:

Hope this is a good enough write up for you all

D&S

Good stuff D&S, good stuff indeed.

Niles P impressed me as well when I went to camp. Kinda like a Hines Ward type I thought.

Yeah I kinda saw that in him too he brings a gritty self to the team no doubt

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 09:10 PM ----------

What sort of ******* would ask you to write all that up?

Personally I haven't read it yet, but it looks like its formatted perfectly.

:D

Yeah who would do that...... ;)

Good stuff D&S, good stuff. Gotta tell you, I love **** like this, it really gets me excited. I love the optimism I have during the preseason before it all goes to hell in December :)

This, but with a lot more cursing :D

These are the type of posts I most look forward to reading nowadays on here. Much more cohesive and comprehensive than trying to piece together twitter posts and not to mention the positive vibe is making me much more excited to see what this team has to offer.

You seemed to really want to make that as positive as possible. Abandon that notion and give me the truth, how mediocre is the OLine? You started to say it but the turned up the sunshine. I'm not sold that one addition to the group that ended the season is enough. Rex was looking like he was playing keep away with a pack of wolves and a steak.

Technically Rex is a helluva QB, it's under pressure that his head gasket leaks, I am still going to need to see him in a live fire exercise.

I can't help myself, I am getting amped to see what our D can do this year

Glad to get the input firsthand and exceptionally well written :applause:

You seemed to really want to make that as positive as possible. Abandon that notion and give me the truth, how mediocre is the OLine? You started to say it but the turned up the sunshine. I'm not sold that one addition to the group that ended the season is enough. Rex was looking like he was playing keep away with a pack of wolves and a steak.

I mean I was being right in what I said though Destino, Chester was very good today, Brown is back to his old self and Trent has turned it up a notch. You can not be sold but I can tell you a lot of us were sitting there saying that the OL has looked a lot better this off season.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 10:02 PM ----------

Thanks for the write-up. I assume Graham had some issues... Seems like Gano steps up when his job is threatened... maybe keep another kicker on the roster...lol

Anything on Chris Neild?

Shayne was 2/5 today I think and for Neild didnt really see a lot of him, but he did get into it a little bit with Raiola and the two had to be separated

Technically Rex is a helluva QB, it's under pressure that his head gasket leaks, I am still going to need to see him in a live fire exercise.

I can't help myself, I am getting amped to see what our D can do this year

Glad to get the input firsthand and exceptionally well written :applause:

I lived in Chicago when he was the QB there. Trust me, you don't want to see him in any live fire exercise. His throws off his back foot under pressure will make a grown man cry.

D&S - same as I said on twitter...thanks a ton man, great writeup. Don't know what your major is, but I'd consider a sports journalism career, really like your draft research, and this writeup definitely didn't disappoint either. Good work.

:ols: funny you ask you aren't the first one who has said sports journalism i'm actually a business major soon to be a business and econ double major

I mean I was being right in what I said though Destino, Chester was very good today, Brown is back to his old self and Trent has turned it up a notch. You can not be sold but I can tell you a lot of us were sitting there saying that the OL has looked a lot better this off season.

I hope that translates into good play on the field. That unit is the one thing other than QB that I'm most concerned with.

Archived