Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Young RBs Struggle in Preseason, BRING BACK PORTIS!

F Landry

First guys, let me start by saying my username used to be PortisFan101 (I renamed when it was clear Portis's days were behind him).

Now, I am not proposing that we bring back Portis if the 4th Round RB Roy Helu plays great in the preseason and Ryan Torain continues to stay healthy. I am assuming (knock on wood) that Torain is going to not be healthy for a full 16 game season (he's never been able to do it).

I am also guessing that it isn't a sure thing that Evan Royster (RB, Penn State) a late round rookie is going to be starting calibre if we have a few injuries. My last point is that our newly acquired RB from the Cardinals, Tim Hightower, struggled horribly in pass protection and got Kurt Warner killed in crunch time (is this just me that remembers this?).

I would feel fine knowing Keiland Williams (undrafted rookie last year) is our back-up RB, but I heard he was moving to fullback? If so I think it would be a great fit, but I'd like this confirmed also.

Okay, time to tug on the heart strings.If you completely disagree with my argument, please at least watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GNPmwhQZy8

You must admit even if Portis is at 50% of this speed currently he would be an upgrade for us as a 3rd down back and veteran presence (our QBs are not proven). He has been great for Washington in the past and has a history with Shannahan (I think if we have Portis of '03 or '05 we would be a SB contender). He hasn't had any interest as of yet, and would sign for dirt cheap.

I say bring him back if one or more of our RBs prove they aren't starting material. Who's with me? :helmet:

No thanks. Portis has nothing left in the tank. A 50% Portis would do nothing to help our team out. Even if Torain gets injured, I'd rather bring up Royster to the 53 man roster. We've had enough of Portis getting caught from behind and falling down before contact. If Shanny thought he had anything left he would have kept him around or re-signed him when the rosters got bumped up to 90 men.

The season hasn't even started yet, and it's already starting. Bring in old guys if the young ones don't pan out. There's a reason no one else signed Portis. He's done.

Our offensive line is going to be improved, and Torain didn't exactly blow it up last year either (he flashed potential, though). I think with increased line play, Portis could be a good insurance policy, thats all I'm saying. Royster could be garbage, Williams is at FB, and there is no saying Torain is going to be healthy. Do you want us with just Tim Hightower at RB?

Both Shannys keep preaching that we are going to run the ball more. With who? Anyone have any other ideas at RB before you bash mine.

Thanks.

Not that the team would ever do this anyway, but for the sake of argument Portis gave us a lot of good years. (At least during the games anyway, could have done without all the other B.S.). However, it is time to move on.

If the young guys struggle, than you play them until they don't struggle.

Our offensive line is going to be improved, and Torain didn't exactly blow it up last year either (he flashed potential, though). I think with increased line play, Portis could be a good insurance policy, thats all I'm saying. Royster could be garbage, Williams is at FB, and there is no saying Torain is going to be healthy. Do you want us with just Tim Hightower at RB?

Both Shannys keep preaching that we are going to run the ball more. With who? Anyone have any other ideas at RB before you bash mine.

Thanks.

Royster could be garbage, but we know there isn't anything left with Portis. You're assuming a lot: Royster sucking, Torain getting injured, Helu sucking, and you're just passing off Hightower without giving a reason. Hightower is a better option than Portis. There's no getting around that.

Thanks.

Helu, Roy, not to mention James Davis. Portis is broken down avoids contact, and trips over blades of grass. No mas.

Thanks.

hightower and torrain will be the top running backs, with helu most likely getting some playing time as well. royster will be on the practice squad. when torrain gets hurt, royster moves to the active roster. thats pretty good depth.

i have seen what portis is. loved his time here, but he just doesnt have it anymore. i do not want him back.

also, keiland will be cut.

Thanks.

We could send the delorean back in time to go pick up the hogs and bring them back here, it still won't change the fact that Portis will trip himself up in the open field. He's done. Shanahan sees that and clearly so does the rest of the league.

Some ideas? How about working our guys. I think we're going to be just fine with the likes of Tim Hightower, Ryan Torain, Roy Helu, Royster, and even Keiland Williams. If we can't get 2 of those guys to be productive for us this year, then we have bigger problems...

Later Portis.

Sorry man, can't side with you here. Don't get things twisted in his short prime we all loved watching CP tear it up. He was one of the best blocking backs in the game. Shoot, I have a Fathead of him on my wall and have no intentions of taking it down. But bringing him back wouldn't really do anything for us. Yes, give the man all the accolades he deserves, he was one of our bright spots over the 2000s and was a workhorse. He gave this franchise the best years of his career, and will always be remembered. Thing is though, we saw this 50% Portis you speak of. It was all he had left in his last 2 seasons, and it wasn't up to snuff. Playing behind a crappy O-line and being a focal point in an offense is bound to put some serious mileage on a RB, and that's exactly what happened. I mean no offense to you at all with this my man but I think you're clinging to hard to the past without giving the new guys a chance.

Keiland is a fullback. Not a bad option, considering Sellers will most likely be cut and he's a decent receiving option out of the backfield.

I think Williams will make a great fullback. I think Shanny likes having fullbacks that can carry the ball from time to time, run block decent enough, catch a few swing passes, but most important PASS protect. We threw the ball a decent amount out of I-formation, and Sellers is a notorious whiffer in pass-pro. KEILAND WILLIAMS FOR FB!

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 04:33 AM ----------

Always been a CP fan. If someone goes down in Pre-season (knock on wood) and he's still around I'd be all for signing him for a low dollar deal.

Truth. Someone thinks with their brains rather than their ego.

Keiland is a fullback. Not a bad option, considering Sellers will most likely be cut and he's a decent receiving option out of the backfield.

well from what i saw last year, he doesnt have the talent to be an nfl running back imo, very little burst. i saw that he's moving to fullback. who do we have there right now? young, sellers (currently practicing at tight end?), and keiland? i just dont remember keiland having the size to be a fullback, and i think sellers will still be kept over him.

Sorry man, can't side with you here. Don't get things twisted in his short prime we all loved watching CP tear it up. He was one of the best blocking backs in the game. Shoot, I have a Fathead of him on my wall and have no intentions of taking it down. But bringing him back wouldn't really do anything for us. Yes, give the man all the accolades he deserves, he was one of our bright spots over the 2000s and was a workhorse. He gave this franchise the best years of his career, and will always be remembered. Thing is though, we saw this 50% Portis you speak of. It was all he had left in his last 2 seasons, and it wasn't up to snuff. Playing behind a crappy O-line and being a focal point in an offense is bound to put some serious mileage on a RB, and that's exactly what happened. I mean no offense to you at all with this my man but I think you're clinging to hard to the past without giving the new guys a chance.

I respect your opinion, and thats all I was looking for was a realistic argument. I just think no one is looking at the fact that we have a stable of unproven, and a few injury prone (Torain, James Davis) young RBs. I'm not willing to sell our season short because we wouldn't throw a little more competition into the pot.

HTTR

I think Williams will make a great fullback. I think Shanny likes having fullbacks that can carry the ball from time to time, run block decent enough, catch a few swing passes, but most important PASS protect. We threw the ball a decent amount out of I-formation, and Sellers is a notorious whiffer in pass-pro. KEILAND WILLIAMS FOR FB!

From all reports, Darryl Young is killing it at training camp. I was thinking if we keep Keiland, he would come in as a third down fullback - a capable blocker who can be a threat to also go out to the flats. Defenses would need to think about the receivers, tight ends, and both backs instead of just the halfback on third down.

I respect your opinion, and thats all I was looking for was a realistic argument. I just think no one is looking at the fact that we have a stable of unproven, and a few injury prone (Torain, James Davis) young RBs. I'm not willing to sell our season short because we wouldn't throw a little more competition into the pot.

HTTR

no one is bashing you. we have just all seen what portis has to offer and have seen his skills on decline for years. if someone gets hurt, why sign portis, when we can have a 2 or 3 game tryout for Royster or Helu, who have more potential and upside. there is no upside with Portis.

I want to agree with the OP, but I do not really.

I always liked Portis. He was a very good running back for us. Statistically, he is the #1 or #2 RB in Redskins history. What I remember is that he would run through walls for Joe Gibbs.

Last season, when he came back and was averaging 6 or 7 ypc, I was so pumped. Of course he got hurt again after 5 or 6 carries. :(

I do think that if Portis could stay healthy (a big if), then he could produce in a part time role somewhere, just probably not here.

We have Torrain, Hightower, Helu, Royster, and Draughns. I'm certain that group includes 3 decent players and a developmental player for the practice squad.

I will miss CP though, and I will be cheering when hits 10,000 yards next season.

Truth. Someone thinks with their brains rather than their ego.

False. Even assuming CP could help the team this year (which is doubtful), binging him in does nothing to prepare us for next season. We have to build! If someone goes down in preseason, Shanny should once again try to turn water into wine with an unheralded young RB. What do you have against rebuilding?

edit: to continue the analogy, using CP would be attempting to turn vinegar into wine, which is considerably harder, even for MS.

Archived