Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPNN NFCEastBlog: Stephen Bowen mourns the loss of his son

B55Green

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/29404/stephen-bowen-mourns-the-loss-of-his-son

Wow. You never know what's really going on in people's lives, especially in the corners in which only they and their loved ones spend their most private time. And when those people are professional athletes, it becomes very easy to ignore their off-field lives while we focus on what we feel they should be doing on the field.

Today's gut-punch example of this phenomenon is Stephen Bowen, the former Dallas Cowboys defensive end who signed with the Washington Redskins in free agency. As Joseph White of the Associated Press reports, Bowen's wife, Tiffany, gave birth to twin sons, Skyler and Stephen III, on June 28. The babies were born four months premature. Skyler died 10 days later. Stephen III is still in the hospital. Stephen II is in Ashburn, Va., while his wife and 21-month-old daughter remain at home in Dallas, watching the baby get better little by little:

"Things are a lot better," Bowen said this week in an interview with The Associated Press following a Redskins practice. "It's still hard. I still think about the son we lost every day. He was just an inspiration for us. While he was here, he was fighting every day to try to be here for us. So the least I can do is just work my butt off and try to be the best football player I can be."

Kind of makes all those worries about adjusting to a new defense and whether the Redskins can win more than six games this year seem a little less significant. We do tend to outsize our concerns about our sports teams and the players who play on them. If remembering this story makes you a little less inclined to yell or curse at Stephen Bowen the next time he makes a mistake on the field, I think that'd be a fine thing.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go pick my two boys up from camp, and maybe hug them a little extra tight.

Sad story.

My son was born 3 1/2 mos premature. He barely made it. I can totally relate to stephen bowen. We lost our first son. Losing your child and watch your child struggle for life and death gives you a lot of perspective. Watching my son struggle for life made me appreciate every day more with him and respect the power of GOD. You become truly humbled by an experience like that.

Very sad story. I have no doubt that he is working his butt off. It easy to forget and wish for his success for our selfish reasons of being Redskins fan but now I can hope and pray for his success for other reasons. Best to Mr. Bowen and his family.

---------- Post added August-9th-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

My son was born 3 1/2 mos premature. He barely made it. I can totally relate to stephen bowen. We lost our first son. Losing your child and watch your child struggle for life and death gives you a lot of perspective. Watching my son struggle for life made me appreciate every day more with him and respect the power of GOD. You become truly humbled by an experience like that.
I can't even begin to imagine! Best to you and yours mcarey.

Prayers to Stephen Bowen and his family.

That takes a lot of courage for you and your family. Good luck to your family.

Man, Idk where I'd be right now had I lost my son especially with him being a first-born.

My sincerest regard to Mr. Bowens and his family. It isn't easy being a father but it is even harder losing a son.

It is not an experience anyone should have to go through. I lost my first born son at 5 months and 11 days. Trust me though, when I say that you do what you have to do to survive. Some good, some bad. It without a doubt changes your perspective on everything. I used to live and die with the Skins. Now, they are my outlet. I use games as therapy, my release of everything during the week. I imagine Mr Bowen will channel his release through the OT across from him.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Bowen family. It's been 7 years 17 days for me.

The thought of any man or woman having to watch helplessly their child fight to survive is beyond heartbreaking. I have two children, a daughter and a son, and can't imagine having to go through that. Reading stories like this not only makes me feel for the family members, but also helps me to remember how lucky and blessed I truly am. I hope and pray that Bowen's son makes a full recovery from his premature birth, and I pray for anyone else out there that is or has gone through an experience like this.

My prayers go out to you Mcarey and The Bowen family.

I am sorry - skip past this post - not football related -

My son is with me every day - we went through years of IVF and stress and worry and in 2007 i found out we were finally pregnant - well my wife was - then the day after the 28 week scan my wife had discomofort went into the emergency room waited 2 hours to see a doctor - then when one came she barely spoke english ( polish - yay! go NHS) she got scarred and insted of actually doing something let us wait another 6 hours to see a consultant who told my wife that there was nothing they could do because her membranes were poking through her cervix (not really sure - kind of black out that conversation but i know what it is to have your heart drop through the floor) - although as we have heard later many doctors would have given her a savior stitch - our doctor thought it best just to let nature take its course and we waited 12 more hours just waiting for our baby to die .

No body did anything - no one tried to do anything - the worst moment of my life was seeing my little boy - and he did look like a little boy - try to gasp for breath with no one giving him a chance - When the post mortum came back and there was nothing wrong with him at all he was not deformed or diseased in any way just far far too early the attention turned to my wife and talk of an incompetent cervix and never being able to carry a child to term .

What made it worse was the attitude of the doctors afterward . One of the doctors released his body as surgical waste initally because before i think 30 weeks they are not classed as babies in the UK and it was only because one of the midwives stopped it we were able to bury him .. as things became clear after the event and there were things that could have been done - but wernt made me angry for a long time - it nearly killed my wife and i was down for a long time- it was very close to finishing us as a couple... but things turned around ....

Two of our consultants really helped we were able to take steps to go the IVF route again - we went through a terrifying 9 months but at the end of it all we ended up with a wonderful little girl Twyla.... so the darkest nights sometimes do become the most beautiful mornings ....

It wasn't my child, but one of my sister's daughters was born about 4 months premature, and passed away after 2 days. The docs did a great thing in letting my sister and her husband hold the baby once it became known that she wouldn't survive.

I'm going to hug my two sons a little tighter tonight, too.

Prayers to the Bowen family and Stephen III

Sorry for your loss. There are more important things in life than football. We just try to find some relief from our own suffering in life through football. As a man that has suffered with his son as his mother slowly died from breast cancer over 2 years, I can attest to finding something that you're thankful for. Mr. Bowen has the opportunity to live on through adversity and suffering. I'm hoping he find the strength and character to give when other men would lie down. I will be watching him closer than before as this story will not be forgotten on any given Sunday. As Mr. Bowen succeeds and turns out the best year of his career in 2011, we will all know now what that truly means. You can conquer suffering by prevailing where others would not.

Damnit,not the kind of story i was hoping to see.Been thinking about the child me and my ex lost all day....

My heart is heavy and goes out to the Bowen family.And anyone else whos lives have been turned upside down......I dont really know what im trying to say.Forgive me.

I feel your pain Stephen.

Just heartbreaking, the story of Bowen's son and some of the other posts in this thread just lay an icy finger on my soul. Our son had his iffy moments before he was born, nothing compared to any of these, but enough that I know what it is to hold your breath for weeks on end waiting for the shoe to drop.

Sincerest condolences and prayers to the Bowens, and to all others facing this dreadful situation.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours Mr. Bowen.

Curious guys, if we wanted to send Bowen a care package, what address would we send it to at Redskins Park so that he'd recieve it? Thanks in advance for the responses.

I was just coming to ask the same question. Could we as a Redskins nation coordinate some sort of mass sympathy card mailing? I know we did similar things when Sean passed and when Reed's little boy was in danger.

There has to be someway we could organize something. Everybody buy 1 get well/sympathy card and send it to redskins park. Maybe make a sticky with the appropriate mailing address and such?

Edit: I want the guy to feel welcome here; he's part of our family. I hope Mike has given him the green light on as much time off as possible.

Archived